General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Yeah this pretty much. The Lib Dems are trying to attract themselves to people on the right of the Labour Party who are looking for a progressive voice that they don't think Labour are any more. This is being highlighted to remind people why the Lib Dems are still twats and aren't nearly as 'progressive' as they claim to be.

The right of labour??? The tories are barely to the right of the labour mps these days.....

People can try to rewrite history all they want but Clegg and the LibDems were Tory enablers.  They could have forced Cameron into a minority government position and stopped many of his policies.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

People can try to rewrite history all they want but Clegg and the LibDems were Tory enablers.  They could have forced Cameron into a minority government position and stopped many of his policies.

Alas, the power urge was too great.

What a grave error they made.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-nuclear-weapons-first-strike-michael-fallon-general-election-jeremy-corbyn-trident-a7698621.html

Surprised that this has not been more high profile. If North Korea said they would be prepared to carry out a pre-emptive nuclear strike the media would be going nuts.

Theresa May would fire Britain’s nuclear weapons as a ‘first strike’ if necessary, the Defence Secretary has said.

Michael Fallon said the Prime Minister was prepared to launch Trident in “the most extreme circumstances”, even if Britain itself was not under nuclear attack.

Isn't that what we're just saying?

Then we have this.
Crazy the money they are talking about.
The sooner Scotland is free from this madness the better.

Britain may not be able to fight a war because weapons are too expensive – MPs
https://www.rt.com/uk/386191-weapons-expense-defence-war/
…The investigations cited a projected £5 billion gap caused by the drop in the value of the pound due to Brexit.
The committee also warned that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) was still underestimating the cost of expensive
equipment such as F-35 fighter jets, despite claims that previous errors had now been dealt with.

MoD cost estimates for major projects are contested but some figures put the F-35 program at £1.5 trillion,
while the tab for replacing the Trident nuclear submarine fleet is estimated at £205 billion and the forthcoming
Queen Elizabeth aircraft carriers are expected to cost up to £9 billion.

We were leafleted by Tory and Labour council candidates last night.

Tory Boy was wall-to-wall referendum, with shit graphs and SNPbad national newspaper 'clippings' - there was only one mention of a specific local issue (one I disagree with to boot)

The Labour woman didn't even mention #ScotRef once, she just listed what she'd done locally and what she'd do locally. I ver-near shat a brick !

I Tweeted Tory Boy to tell him he'd insulted my intelligence and he'd get absolutely hee-haw from me.

And so it goes on…

Johnson: Difficult to say 'no' to Syria strike
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39730685

Boris Johnson says it would be very difficult for the UK to refuse the US if it asked for support in another military strike on Syria.
The foreign secretary said MPs would not necessarily have a vote on any proposed joint action.
In recent years the convention has been that MPs get a vote on military action,
but with Parliament about to dissolve ahead of a general election that could be put in doubt.
The law does not require the government to win a Commons vote before launching military action.
In deploying its armed forces, the government acts under the royal prerogative but because the UK's constitution is largely unwritten,
nobody is quite sure how far that extends.

That Mrs Windsor's got a lot to answer for.

On 4/26/2017 at 06:56, Granny Danger said:

We are seeing evidence though that their position did mitigate against the will of the Conservative government in some of their hard right agenda that we're seeing come to the surface now.

It's one of these really grey issues. I think they were wrong in the manner of their support but if they had rejected a coalition and acted in a manner which stopped a lot of the agenda that they didn't like, we could have went back to the polls again. I'd guess that another election have seen the tired Gordon Brown who was seen as trying to desperately hold on to power lose a dozen or so seats and then the Lib Dems taking a hit for being seen as irresponsible. It's impossible to say for sure but the chances of a re-election bringing about a Conservative majority at that time seem quite high.

If I was giving one piece of advice to the Lib Dems in retrospect, they should have played the election with proportional representation (and no less) their number one aim over the next parliament. Labour would have fallen in line with that aim eventually and I think they'd maybe have been able to carry the support to do it. Their AV election was a pishy little compromise that they were constrained to properly compete in and set back their aims for a while.

Real PR would have been a massive win for the centrists and put and mitigated against the right wing populism that we've seen over the past couple of years.

6 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

We were leafleted by Tory and Labour council candidates last night.

Tory Boy was wall-to-wall referendum, with shit graphs and SNPbad national newspaper 'clippings' - there was only one mention of a specific local issue (one I disagree with to boot)

The Labour woman didn't even mention #ScotRef once, she just listed what she'd done locally and what she'd do locally. I ver-near shat a brick !

I Tweeted Tory Boy to tell him he'd insulted my intelligence and he'd get absolutely hee-haw from me.

I got one from the Conservatives (and Unionist) cuntos last night. It just had Ruth Davidson on it and like yours, loads of shit graphs and SNPbad national newspaper clippings, all of which were apparently about how Scotland doesn't want another referendum. Like all such shite it was swiftly deposited in the bin (well a bin bag since I don't have an actual bin).

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I got one from the Conservatives (and Unionist) cuntos last night. It just had Ruth Davidson on it and like yours, loads of shit graphs and SNPbad national newspaper clippings, all of which were apparently about how Scotland doesn't want another referendum. Like all such shite it was swiftly deposited in the bin (well a bin bag since I don't have an actual bin).

I got one that said we need to support the Conservatives to send a 'STONG MESSAGE'.

17 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I got one that said we need to support the Conservatives to send a 'STONG MESSAGE'.

Noun. stong (plural stongs) (historical) An area of land equivalent to a quarter of an acre.

Or more alarmingly

Edited by DA Baracus