General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Having never argued for payments going to people who do not qualify this is quite irrelevant.  My argument is that it isn't much fucking money depending on circumstances.

I think you are having trouble understanding.  Not surprising really.

The only time 50p appears in my post is a cut and paste of the headline from the link which you clearly haven't read, dimwit

Of course I have read it, hence how my very first reply referred specifically to the example within your own link.

You're trying to justify cuts to the benefits system based on one case where the claimant may be a cheat.  That punishes those in genuine need.

No, I am stating that the level of benefits available to people should not incentivise them away from employment.  I look forward to your examples of those receiving universal credit or housing benefit that are "in genuine need" and can justify receiving more than £20k per annum of benefits.

"Make the effort" is a phrase used to demonise claimants as lazy and feckless. There's no place for it in a civilised society.

Don't be so melodramatic.  The idea that a society should fund the work-shy and provide them with an income that exceeds a working person in a similar situation is clearly not civilised but actually broken.  Someone that is willing to go out and try and find work once their benefits have been cut (after 9 years un-employed) is exactly the outcome that we should be welcoming.

And just so we are clear here, this benefit cap is the equivalent of £25k per annum of earned income.  A sum that can in no way be described as "isn't much fucking money" when describing what is supposed to be a safety net.

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

I think you are having trouble understanding.  Not surprising really.

Yeah, I can never understand callous disregard for the needy, correct.

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

Of course I have read it, hence how my very first reply referred specifically to the example within your own link.

Then you'll understand that you were talking shite.  Good.

12 minutes ago, strichener said:

No, I am stating that the level of benefits available to people should not incentivise them away from employment. 

Yes, this is the Tory theory of poverty and employment.  Anyone who is poor or out of a job just needs to pull up their bootstraps and go get a better job.  Utter pish. 

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

I look forward to your examples of those receiving universal credit or housing benefit that are "in genuine need" and can justify receiving more than £20k per annum of benefits.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15207299.More_than_100_Bolton_families_have_housing_benefit_cut_to_just_50p/ 100 in Bolton alone, are you going to say all 100 are the undeserving poor or gaming the system?

24 minutes ago, strichener said:

The idea that a society should fund the work-shy

You just can't help yourself, can you?

I couldn't give a shit if somedy is working the system to their advantage as long as the people that genuinely need the support get it. It's pretty apparent you can either allow some people to "sponge" off the state or leave vulnerable people at the mercy of an ideologically driven state. It says a heck of a lot about you which one you choose to prioritise.

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

I've just received a voting guide for the Scottish Council Election on 4th May, 2017.

In page 4 it says 'in this election you can make as many or as few choices as you wish'.
On page 5 there is a dummy ballot paper with 8 candidate.
At the bottom of the page it says:
use numbers to vote.
Number the candidates in order of your choice using 1,2,3 and so on.
You don't have to number every candidate.

Can someone please tell me how the winners are decided.
If I number say five out of eight of them, how does that help their final standing?

C8konoqWsAIJk5E.jpg

38 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Yeah, I can never understand callous disregard for the needy, correct.

Then you'll understand that you were talking shite.  Good.

Yes, this is the Tory theory of poverty and employment.  Anyone who is poor or out of a job just needs to pull up their bootstraps and go get a better job.  Utter pish. 

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15207299.More_than_100_Bolton_families_have_housing_benefit_cut_to_just_50p/ 100 in Bolton alone, are you going to say all 100 are the undeserving poor or gaming the system?

You just can't help yourself, can you?

The comments section in the Bolton News article would seem to suggest that the locals disagree with your views.

Just now, Blue-Toon said:

The comments section in the Bolton News article would seem to suggest that the locals disagree with your views.

Surely the dimmest of sparks wouldn't use the online comments section of a newspaper as some kind of evidence, would they?

30 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Surely the dimmest of sparks wouldn't use the online comments section of a newspaper as some kind of evidence, would they?

Trump quotes a whole range of shite sources.  It's the racist, xenophobic, sexist, homophobic, right wing, immigrant-hating, looney approach.

1 hour ago, Blue-Toon said:

Comments sections invariably consist of comments from either self-righteous arseholes who hate the unemployed with a vengeance, thick full-time mummies who want everyone ever convicted of a criminal offence of any sort hanged and angry old Tories. Considering them "evidence" of anything is bordering on mental. 

30 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Many thanks.
I can now sleep easy after reading the instructions.
Only vote for all SNP candidates and f**k the rest of them - gotcha :lol:

You could include other pro indy candidates like Greens.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'll be doing a variation on SNP/ Green. Would rather maximise the chance of any one of the only two worthy parties in Scotland getting in.

In local politics I'd prefer to vote on the candidate rather than party, but it's too important to build up momentum just now to think like that.

If you know of any the candidates then you should definitely take party politics out of it in local elections. Enough people vote on those ground but there are plenty of c***s in the good parties and one or two genuine folk in the other ones.

Obviously if you don't know the reputation of anyone involved you just go party based.

2 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

I could, if they stand in my area.
But I think I'll play safe and stick with the party I support.

How many are standing in your area and for what parties?

Assuming every party has 2 candidates (unlikely, I know)

1) Give the SNP candidates 1 & 2

2) Give the Green candidates 3 & 4

3) Give any other Independence supporters 5 & 6

Don't vote for Unionists

This strategy practically ensures that your vote won't be wasted and will go to a pro-indy candidate 

26 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

How many are standing in your area and for what parties? Nae idea

Assuming every party has 2 candidates (unlikely, I know)

1) Give the SNP candidates 1 & 2 Will do

2) Give the Green candidates 3 & 4 Mibbe aye

3) Give any other Independence supporters 5 & 6 Who else is there?

Don't vote for Unionists Read my lips and see my avatar ffs

This strategy practically ensures that your vote won't be wasted and will go to a pro-indy candidate 

I'll sleep on it :thumsup2