General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

19 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

These aren't "guerilla tactics".

They are war crimes.

War crimes are never acceptable and therefore are never necessary. If they are never necessary no one ever "has to resort to" them.

Necessity is not a defence to deliberately targeting civilians to try to maximise casualties.

Away and don't talk shite. Israel has a list of war crimes as long as your arm. Every time they obliterate civilians areas for a period of months they are condemned by Western leaders all over the place then it's swept under the carpet the next week. You are an apologist for one of the worst countries on the planet.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Absolutely there are politicians in the Israeli State who advocate a one-state solution. But the position of the Israeli Government is still in support of the two-state solution.

The stated position of the Israeli is in support of a two state solution.  Do you believe that their stated position is their actual position?

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The stated position of the Israeli is in support of a two state solution.  Do you believe that their stated position is their actual position?

Continual building of settlements on Palestinian land says no. Of course Ad Lib only says what BBC and SKY show him. Israel are c***s.

Edited by AUFC90

And in other news.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/23/politics/kfile-david-friedman-november-speech/index.html

So we have a U.S. Ambassador to Israel who boasts about wanting to remove the two-state solution as an option and is in favour of occupation of the West Bank.

The international community has sat back for years and only offered token objection to an international situation no better than apartheid South Africa.  Now must be the time to begin to address this injustice and at the same time remove a major recruitment tool for Islamic extremists.

On 22/02/2017 at 21:32, NotThePars said:

And I didn't say it was I just can't be gassed trying to find the correct term. You're doing your usual thing where you think that a government sticking to the law absolves them of the abhorrent shit that they're doing and you're sounding like Robbie Travers in the process.

1. That is by no measure "my usual thing"

2. I never said at *any* stage that adhering to the law absolves anyone of blame. I have consistently maintained that the IDF has committed many violations of the principles underpinning both international law generally and international criminal law specifically.

3. I was pointing out that one side of this conflict prosecutes at least some of those among its number that commit war crimes. The other glorifies those who do so in its name.

On 22/02/2017 at 21:33, welshbairn said:

Aimlessly hitting fields isn't targeting civilians, that's crap technology. Targeting civilians is when you bomb a block of flats hoping an enemy is there, knowing the likely collateral damage. The murdered Palestinian wasn't targeting civilians, he attacked armed soldiers with a knife.

Hamas do not simply "aimlessly hit fields". Don't talk shit.

At no point did I say the Palestinian in this incident was a member of Hamas, let alone did I say that he targeted civilians.

It is not "targeting" civilians simply because you know you might kill some civilians as part of a strike that has as its primary object to kill a militant. Indeed the IDF frequently give prior warning and encourage civilians to evacuate areas before they bomb them. That is evidence of an actor which, for its many faults, judges the success of a mission by how few civilians they kill. Hamas judge the success of a mission by how many.

On 22/02/2017 at 21:48, AUFC90 said:

Away and don't talk shite. Israel has a list of war crimes as long as your arm. Every time they obliterate civilians areas for a period of months they are condemned by Western leaders all over the place then it's swept under the carpet the next week. You are an apologist for one of the worst countries on the planet.

At no point have I said Israel and the IDF didn't commit war crimes. Indeed I will categorically say that they have done so.

But as anyone who knows anything about war crimes, I also know that genocide is the most serious. And Israel has not committed genocide; Hamas' charter commits itself, constitutionally, to it.

4 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Labour held on to Stoke but somehow managed to lose Copeland to the Tories. Going to be a lot of questions asked, really emphasising how disastrous the Corbyn path is proving. I think he might resign over this.

I do not think he will resign, and I do not think his supporters will pressurise him to do so.  I have defended what Corbyn has been trying to do up to now but it is obvious that he will never gain the level of public support needed to take Labour forward.  That said I am unaware of anyone in Labour's ranks that would make a credible leader, certainly the previous leadership challengers were all horrendously bad.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I do not think he will resign, and I do not think his supporters will pressurise him to do so.  I have defended what Corbyn has been trying to do up to now but it is obvious that he will never gain the level of public support needed to take Labour forward.  That said I am unaware of anyone in Labour's ranks that would make a credible leader, certainly the previous leadership challengers were all horrendously bad.

That's the problem. There is no one to replace him. Owen Smith and Angela Eagle were challengers ffs. In Scotland they've even elevated Dugdale to manager. I can think of no one with gravitas, ability or presence in the PLP. Replacing Corbyn with another joke seems pretty pointless.