General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37342152

Cameron had enough. By -election  in Witney.

George Osborne's seat is going to be taken away by the Boundary Commission... (Though of course this would require him resigning from his seat now to fight a by-election, so probably not!)

1 minute ago, jmothecat said:

Michael Fallon 'the difficulty with the shadow defence minister has got is my Defence ministers don't know who he is.'

:lol:

Not really answering the questions re Clyde built ships, except to dig re indie ref.

3 hours ago, mjw said:

If the PM is still stalling on triggering brexit then the kippers will throw everything at this seat.

*If they have elected a leader of their own and stopped the infighting that's been going on.

Witney voted Remain.

Don't the current boundaries advantage Labour? i.e. they were gerrymandered to give inner city constituencies fewer people under a Labour govt.

Aye. Labour leaning constituencies are generally smaller, however the argument has been that the more deprived and urban constituencies have a far higher workload than say Surrey South West where Jeremy Hunt represents.

Ironically I will get more of a chance to have a Labour MP under the proposed changes with Ashington being put in with Berwick. From Labour being a distant third in the old seat they'll probably be favourites in a Tory/Labour marginal now.

5 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Pretty much everyone. It's distressing nonetheless though. It's already looking like it's going to be tough to win in 2020 and this makes things tougher.

It's been on the statute book for five years - I'd like to think that you'd have got over any distress a while ago. It doesn't "make things tougher" - things were already tough. This change was already a factor in any long-term plan the Party chose to follow.

It's been on the statute book for five years - I'd like to think that you'd have got over any distress a while ago. It doesn't "make things tougher" - things were already tough. This change was already a factor in any long-term plan the Party chose to follow.

Now we've seen what the Boundary changes look like and we can actually calculate the difficulty it adds for us. Are you seriously not bothered by this simply because we knew it was coming?

Now if only they would start reducing the numbers in the HoL.  They number far more than the MPs before these changes.

It is a bit of a slap in the face. 50 fewer elected representatives in the people (largely lost from poor inner city areas) but 260 more unelected Lords.

3 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Now we've seen what the Boundary changes look like and we can actually calculate the difficulty it adds for us. Are you seriously not bothered by this simply because we knew it was coming?

Well it's taking away Labour's advantage really, not adding an extra obstacle. Effectively, it's increased the size of the barrel, but whilst Labour are intent on taking aim at their own feet, what difference does it really make?

Well it's taking away Labour's advantage really, not adding an extra obstacle. Effectively, it's increased the size of the barrel, but whilst Labour are intent on taking aim at their own feet, what difference does it really make?

It makes a difference because it reduces the number of democratically elected MPs (whilst the government stays just as large and the Lords continues to increase), it reduces the number of MPs in deprived areas where MPs are more vital. It also has only taken into account people registered to vote, rather than those eligible, and even then using outdated figures which ignores 2 million people who are now registered to vote but weren't at the time.

This is probably the first thing all summer that everyone in the Labour Party, from the Corbynistas to the Blairites, are unhappy with. Somewhat surprised that White Rose Killie, a member of the Labour Party, isn't unhappy about this.

It makes a difference because it reduces the number of democratically elected MPs (whilst the government stays just as large and the Lords continues to increase), it reduces the number of MPs in deprived areas where MPs are more vital. It also has only taken into account people registered to vote, rather than those eligible, and even then using outdated figures which ignores 2 million people who are now registered to vote but weren't at the time.

This is probably the first thing all summer that everyone in the Labour Party, from the Corbynistas to the Blairites, are unhappy with. Somewhat surprised that White Rose Killie, a member of the Labour Party, isn't unhappy about this.

Who the hell said I wasn't unhappy about it? I've been banging on for years to get people to register, as this is the most important part of the whole affair. The legislation was passed five years ago, jmo, and it didn't take Party membership to motivate me.

You'll be warning me about TTIP next...

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

When Labour are in they rig things to suit them better. The Tories do the same. Labour had 13 years to do something about the Lords, they did nothing. Don't bother pretending anyone's actually bothered about deprived areas more than making future elections more easy/difficult to win.