General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I'm not a BritNat. Sorry to disappoint you.

Taken from your website:

Let's begin with where I stand.

I have long been in support of Scotland moving towards something close to full fiscal autonomy.

I think Holyrood should be almost entirely responsible for raising what it spends.

I've said repeatedly that I don't think the UK parties have been ambitious enough in their promises of further powers.

Though the Smith Commission comes fairly close.

I think there's room to devolve corporation tax, and I would probably devolve national insurance...

That in bold means bugger all.

What you are advocating is Scotsmen & women making the decisions in Scotland regarding how we spend our taxes.

But in a wider context you want English politicians to decide the UK/Scotlands place in the world.

I posted elsewhere that last December all Scottish MP’s bar one voted NOT to bomb ISIS in Syria.

Yet the English MP’s voted overwhelmingly to bomb them.

Where is Scotlands voice heard in a world-wide context?

I take it that you are content that England decides.

You ARE a BritNat.

I see that the Lib-Undems have reversed the conference vote on fracking. The policy committee have decided that the party will oppose fracking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35729185

This is a total disgrace. The leadership has basically directly contradicted and overturned Conference's view.

Full disclosure I helped to move the amendment to oppose a blanket ban on fracking.

This is a total disgrace. The leadership has basically directly contradicted and overturned Conference's view.

Full disclosure I helped to move the amendment to oppose a blanket ban on fracking.

You should join the snp. We always have a place for men of talent.

He would hate being in the party and I can't think of anyone less suitable to be in to be honest.

But he knows that and is actually pwoud of it!

The things I hate most about my own party are the same reasons I could not join the SNP but in the latter case magnified.

I'm increasingly convinced that for Scottish politics to normalise again there is going to have to be an SDP-style centrist, probably constitutionally non-aligned, party formed out of a small group of smart people jumping ship from across the Scottish political spectrum.

The things I hate most about my own party are the same reasons I could not join the SNP but in the latter case magnified.

I'm increasingly convinced that for Scottish politics to normalise again there is going to have to be an SDP-style centrist, probably constitutionally non-aligned, party formed out of a small group of smart people jumping ship from across the Scottish political spectrum.

I can't see anything constitutionally non-aligned happening this side of independence.

Of course it is in the interest of narrow nationalists like myself to push the narrative that an indy vote is the only way to normalise Scottish politics but I also believe it.

I can't see anything constitutionally non-aligned happening this side of independence.

Of course it is in the interest of narrow nationalists like myself to push the narrative that an indy vote is the only way to normalise Scottish politics but I also believe it.

It would be, er, a bit redundant, to have a constitutionally non-aligned party the other side of independence... :lol:

Will they all have put on proper suits and done up their ties?

Which national anthem do you propose that they should sing?

Will they all have put on proper suits and done up their ties?

I'm sure you've never been to a Lib Dem Conference, but we really don't care what people wear. The only combination I haven't seen is suit and sandles.

If you're in your usual stalker mood and referring to the fact that I was wearing a suit on Friday at Conference, it's because I was off to something else later that evening that required me to wear one back in Glasgow and wouldn't have time to change. On the Saturday morning I embraced my personal Lib Dem Conference attire favourite, the classic Ad Lib look of jeans and a wooly jumper.

Which national anthem do you propose that they should sing?

Lib Dems don't sing an anthem, national or otherwise, at our Conferences. That's quite a peculiar thing to do.

1) I'm sure you've never been to a Lib Dem Conference, but we really don't care what people wear. The only combination I haven't seen is suit and sandles.

2) If you're in your usual stalker mood and referring to the fact that I was wearing a suit on Friday at Conference, it's because I was off to something else later that evening that required me to wear one back in Glasgow and wouldn't have time to change. On the Saturday morning I embraced my personal Lib Dem Conference attire favourite, the classic Ad Lib look of jeans and a wooly jumper.

3) Lib Dems don't sing an anthem, national or otherwise, at our Conferences. That's quite a peculiar thing to do.

1) You're correct. I've never been a member of the Lib-Dems, so I've never attended a conference. I can spell items of footwear correctly though. I'm not sure whether these facts are related.

2) Are you seriously suggesting that I paid enough attention to the Lib-Dem conference to even know that you were there? You have a strangely inflated idea of your own importance!

If you had paid attention to the national news this week, you would know that during PMQ's, Mr Cameron suggested that (in his opinion) Mr Corbyn didn't dress "smartly". Specifically, he made reference to Mr Corbyn not wearing a proper suit and not doing up his tie. He was slated for this trivial reply.

Accordingly, my earlier response referenced your suggestion that "smart" people would form a new party in Scotland. I had hoped that you would give more details about the required dress code.

3) My earlier response also referenced David Cameron's inference that "smart" people sing the national anthem. I just wondered which national anthem you consider to be relevant to a "smart" young member of the Scottish Lib Dems.

I hope you continue to answer these questions as if I was asking them seriously instead of just taking the piss.

1) You're correct. I've never been a member of the Lib-Dems, so I've never attended a conference. I can spell items of footwear correctly though. I'm not sure whether these facts are related.

2) Are you seriously suggesting that I paid enough attention to the Lib-Dem conference to even know that you were there? You have a strangely inflated idea of your own importance!

If you had paid attention to the national news this week, you would know that during PMQ's, Mr Cameron suggested that (in his opinion) Mr Corbyn didn't dress "smartly". Specifically, he made reference to Mr Corbyn not wearing a proper suit and not doing up his tie. He was slated for this trivial reply.

Accordingly, my earlier response referenced your suggestion that "smart" people would form a new party in Scotland. I had hoped that you would give more details about the required dress code.

3) My earlier response also referenced David Cameron's inference that "smart" people sing the national anthem. I just wondered which national anthem you consider to be relevant to a "smart" young member of the Scottish Lib Dems.

I hope you continue to answer these questions as if I was asking them seriously instead of just taking the piss.

Sorry that went completely over my head!

You're lucky.

You're asking piss questions and he's answering them.

I'm asking serious questions (further up the page) and he's no.

Taken from your website:

Let's begin with where I stand.

I have long been in support of Scotland moving towards something close to full fiscal autonomy.

I think Holyrood should be almost entirely responsible for raising what it spends.

I've said repeatedly that I don't think the UK parties have been ambitious enough in their promises of further powers.

Though the Smith Commission comes fairly close.

I think there's room to devolve corporation tax, and I would probably devolve national insurance...

That in bold means bugger all.

What you are advocating is Scotsmen & women making the decisions in Scotland regarding how we spend our taxes.

But in a wider context you want English politicians to decide the UK/Scotlands place in the world.

I posted elsewhere that last December all Scottish MP’s bar one voted NOT to bomb ISIS in Syria.

Yet the English MP’s voted overwhelmingly to bomb them.

Where is Scotlands voice heard in a world-wide context?

I take it that you are content that England decides.

You ARE a BritNat.

You're lucky.

You're asking piss questions and he's answering them.

I'm asking serious questions (further up the page) and he's no.

It's a character trait of your average Britnat to ignore robust questioning in the hope it will go away.

Okay Wee Willie, I'll entertain your drivel.

"Something close to full fiscal autonomy" doesn't "mean bugger all".

It means that I think Scotland should, when it becomes viable to do so, be given full responsibility, with full risk and reward, of implementing its own tax regime independently of the rest of the UK. It means I disagree with the consensus of most Unionists that corporation tax is inherently inappropriate for devolution, and that subject essentially only to the limits that the EU places on VAT devolution, that I want Scotland to control every major revenue-raising tax.

I do not, "in a wider context" "want English politicians to decide the UK/Scotlands place in the world". I want British politicians to decide the UK's place in the world and for Scottish politicians to have an active role in shaping those decisions. Just as being in favour of being in the European Union and our membership doesn't make me a EuroNat and doesn't mean I want Belgians or Germans "deciding the UK's place in the world". The EU decides Europe's place in the world and the UK feeds-into that debate, while also defining aspects of its distinct place in the world where it has chosen not to pool sovereignty.

I don't care if Scottish MPs voted not to bomb ISIS. When we deal with defence we have pooled sovereignty. We have chosen to do that. The majority of MPs in the Westminster Parliament backed killing those fascist scum in concert with our allies. Good on them.

The only virtuous reasons for having Scotland not pool sovereignty with others is if you think that it would make better decisions and decisions that make the world a better place. British non-participation in the bombing of ISIS wouldn't have not happened if Scotland were independent; they'd just be flying from bases in England instead of Scotland to NATO bases like those in Cyprus before carrying-on to the same location to drop the same bombs.

Surely if I were content that "England" decides that would make me an AngloNat and not a BritNat?

It means that I think Scotland should, when it becomes viable to do so, be given full responsibility, with full risk and reward, of implementing its own tax regime independently of the rest of the UK. It means I disagree with the consensus of most Unionists that corporation tax is inherently inappropriate for devolution, and that subject essentially only to the limits that the EU places on VAT devolution, that I want Scotland to control every major revenue-raising tax.

I do not, "in a wider context" "want English politicians to decide the UK/Scotlands place in the world". I want British politicians to decide the UK's place in the world and for Scottish politicians to have an active role in shaping those decisions. Just as being in favour of being in the European Union and our membership doesn't make me a EuroNat and doesn't mean I want Belgians or Germans "deciding the UK's place in the world". The EU decides Europe's place in the world and the UK feeds-into that debate, while also defining aspects of its distinct place in the world where it has chosen not to pool sovereignty.

I don't care if Scottish MPs voted not to bomb ISIS. When we deal with defence we have pooled sovereignty. We have chosen to do that. The majority of MPs in the Westminster Parliament backed killing those fascist scum in concert with our allies. Good on them.

The only virtuous reasons for having Scotland not pool sovereignty with others is if you think that it would make better decisions and decisions that make the world a better place. British non-participation in the bombing of ISIS wouldn't have not happened if Scotland were independent; they'd just be flying from bases in England instead of Scotland to NATO bases like those in Cyprus before carrying-on to the same location to drop the same bombs.

Surely if I were content that "England" decides that would make me an AngloNat and not a BritNat?

And it's opinions like that, ladies and gents, that demonstrate why Ad Lib's party will continue to be a

1280x720.jpgloo-flush_2717563b.jpg

I hope I’m in the audience if you are ever at a husting trying tae convince people tae vote for you and your party.

I’ll ask the same questions and I hope ye give the same answer.

That’s bound tae get ye votes.

I do not, "in a wider context" "want English politicians to decide the UK/Scotlands place in the world".

I want British politicians to decide the UK's place in the world and for Scottish politicians to have an active role in shaping those decisions.

and how does that work?

No matter how ye tart it up it IS still English politicians who decide foreign policy or any policy involving the big bad world.

The only way for Scottish politicians to have an active role is if their policies/votes coincide with English ones.

I don't care if Scottish MPs voted not to bomb ISIS.

What a disgraceful statement.

In other words you don’t care how Scottish MP’s vote.

I hope you stand up and say that at your next Lib party convention.

Sadly, in a way, you are correct, Scottish MP’s are irrelevant in a UK environment.

When we deal with defence we have pooled sovereignty. We have chosen to do that.

Why do you accept that we (as a people) chose to stay part of the UK but you don’t accept when the same people chose (through our MP’s) NOT to bomb ISIS and NOT to have nuclear submarines in Scotland.

Is that your brand of democracy?

The only virtuous reasons for having Scotland not pool sovereignty with others is if you think that it would make better decisions and decisions that make the world a better place.

You as a quasi Scottish politician should ken better that than tae make that statement.

The point is that the decisions (and buck) should stop with Scottish politicians and no politicians from South Britain.

Whichever cap fits.

England has roughly ten times the politicians that Scotland has.

Please tell me how England does NOT decide UK policy.

Edited by Wee Willie