Heart of Midlothian - 2016/17 European Tour

Elixir

Shocker of a result. Birkirkara are clearly a capable team but they should not be eliminating a Scottish club by beating them 2-1 away from home.

If there is any consolation for the wider Scottish football fan fraternity, then at least Hearts now have their "Annus Horribilis" to rank alongside the rest of us. Aberdeen had the defeats to Bohemians Dublin and Skonto Riga, and the thrashing off Sigma Olomouc. Hibs had he defeat to Kaunas (admittedly in the Intertoto), and the thrashing off Malma. Motherwell had the defeat to St Jarnan. St Johnstone had the loss to those Armenians last season. There have been various OF humiliations over the years. I can't readily think of a shocker down at Kilmarnock but these must have been one (did they not once lose to a Northern Irish club?). Dundee got humped by some lot from Serbia. Dundee United had the defeat to MyPa 47. Dunfermline got embarrassed by Hafnafjorur. St Mirren must be about the only Scottish club to have played more than a couple of times and not suffered an ignominy.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Shocker of a result. Birkirkara are clearly a capable team but they should not be eliminating a Scottish club by beating them 2-1 away from home.

If there is any consolation for the wider Scottish football fan fraternity, then at least Hearts now have their "Annus Horribilis" to rank alongside the rest of us. Aberdeen had the defeats to Bohemians Dublin and Skonto Riga, and the thrashing off Sigma Olomouc. Hibs had he defeat to Kaunas (admittedly in the Intertoto), and the thrashing off Malma. Motherwell had the defeat to St Jarnan. St Johnstone had the loss to those Armenians last season. There have been various OF humiliations over the years. I can't readily think of a shocker down at Kilmarnock but these must have been one (did they not once lose to a Northern Irish club?). Dundee got humped by some lot from Serbia. Dundee United had the defeat to MyPa 47. Dunfermline got embarrassed by Hafnafjorur. St Mirren must be about the only Scottish club to have played more than a couple of times and not suffered an ignominy.

Well I just feel so much better now. Thanx bbz x

43 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Gretna got dished 5-1 at home off Derry City

Yes, but that was their only ever European tie and they had just been promoted out of the SFL Second Division... You could equally cite Morton getting hashed off Chelsea (was it not something like 9-2) but again that was their only venture. I was thinking of side with some kind of pedigree. People also cite Falkirk losing to Vaduz quite a lot but that is pretty unfair - they'd just been relegated from the Swiss top flight, as had Falkirk from ours.

Kilmarnock did lose to a Northern Irish team, btw, it was Coleraine.

Partick managed to execute 3 European campaigns without a humiliation and St Mirren head the list in my eyes on 4.

Unlike the posters who had a wankfest when we lost our 1st leg in Gibraltar, I'm not going to take this opportunity to get some gloating revenge in for this embarrassing result.

Scottish football really needs our clubs to do their bit in Europe & to have Hearts going out at this stage to some minnows from Malta is absolutely shocking. Got no time for Hearts but very disappointed that they got knocked out tonight.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Partick managed to execute 3 European campaigns without a humiliation and St Mirren head the list in my eyes on 4.

Indeed, in our 7 European "campaigns" we only lost 3 away games...to European Cup winners Feyenoord (2-0, lost 1-0 at home), European Cup finalists St. Ettienne (2-0, drew 0-0 at home) and Slavia Prague (1-0) who we turned over in the home leg 3-0. We drew away to Mechelen (0-0 but lost 2-0 at home, they won the ECWC that season) beat Tromso at home and drew  0-0 away, beat Elfsborg 2-1 away (0-0 at home) and we just don't talk about Hammarby :rolleyes:

It probably sounds mental to supporters of other clubs that some Hearts fans are unhappy just now, especially after winning the Championship and finishing third in the two seasons since Budge has taken over.

But to fans that are going every week and seeing the slow, ponderous style of football it must get grating pretty quickly. Throw in the Derby performances,club statements and results like tonight and I can see why some are pissed off tbf. Neilson seems totally uninspiring as well and I think that will rub off on the team. There's no excuse not to be playing a decent, exiting style of football as he has some good players at his disposal.

Archived