Scotrail

ScottR96

14 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've got my year pass in a wee wallet that has my picture in it.  I very rarely buy tickets on the train for anywhere else.  Is it worth me getting a smart card or should I just stick with what I've got.

Pics or GTFO. 

5 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've got my year pass in a wee wallet that has my picture in it.  I very rarely buy tickets on the train for anywhere else.  Is it worth me getting a smart card or should I just stick with what I've got.

I don't think it makes much difference at the moment. It might be more convenient that queuing for a paper ticket but sometimes it doesn't work so... If it's not broken...

Also it is a pain if you use Virgin or Crosscountry as they don't accept smartcards. 

Don't you have to stand at the barriers and wait to be scanned through with those tickets? If so, I'd probably prefer a smartcard for that reason alone.

On 10/4/2017 at 18:27, Thistle_do_nicely said:

The smartcard is utterly useless imo; was using it without any issues for 2 months and then suddenly, with no explanation, when I tried to renew my ST it kept giving me an error message when trying to load my season ticket onto it, claiming there wasn't enough time to collect my card... which was bollocks, because a) you just load it up the day after purchase at the station at one of the smart machines b) it says on the fucking site that it only takes 2 hours and c) I'd been renewing it without issue for 2 months beforehand, didn't do anything differently! Had to pay a full price peak fare the next day.

Emailed them, still no response. Asked at the customer services desk between platforms if there was any way someone could help me physically show them the error I was experiencing, nope, was told I had to do it all at home, over the phone or by email. Which I did, and never got a fucking response!

Worthless. Happily I've since found an alternate route that's cheaper via park and riding at the subway. A faint smell of foost/piss on every train, but at this point I'll gladly take that over having to ever use Scotrail again.

As a wee bump - since this post I've been getting monthly unregistered smartcards for the Subway to get to work. No hassle, no pain in the arse issues trying to load money onto them, no train delays caused by weather issues and the like, trains run every 5 minutes so no worries if I miss a train of having to wait half an hour for the next one. Bliss.

Scotrail have fucked themselves out of 9 months worth of monthly renewals for the smartcard from me, along with future renewals. Doubt they'll miss it all that much in the grand scheme of things, but by the same token I certainly don't miss them and their piss-poor service.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely
Edited to add: you get used to the smell

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Don't you have to stand at the barriers and wait to be scanned through with those tickets? If so, I'd probably prefer a smartcard for that reason alone.

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

No, i can put it through the barrier like a normal ticket.

There are two ways to use the passes,

Option one - Take ticket from wallet, use ticket at barrier, go through and  keep the queue moving

Option two - Stand at barrier like a stupid, self-important c**t-balls cockwomble and wave pass and ticket still in wallet at barrier staff till they let you through.

Congratulations in being in the minority that understand the benefits of option one.

1 hour ago, H Wragg said:

19QOS19,

There are about 10 million Thistle fans getting the 1013 from Central to Dumfries next Saturday.

Can you make sure your boss is aware of this and puts on a long enough train?

If the train is long enough you could probably walk there.

19QOS19,

There are about 10 million Thistle fans getting the 1013 from Central to Dumfries next Saturday.

Can you make sure your boss is aware of this and puts on a long enough train?

Glad I'm late shift! I thought most of them would have got the train to Carlisle and came back up to Dumfries via there?

On 1/11/2018 at 15:27, NorthernLights said:

I see Scotrail are now charging £1 to have tickets posted now.  Last time I ordered train tickets first class postage was free.

I noticed that as well, a bit annoying but the collection at the machines takes a minute or so (well the stations I use) I suppose.

On 11/01/2018 at 10:14, Honest_Man#1 said:

I bought my monthly ticket to be loaded onto the smartcard at 3pm yesterday. Put it on the yellow touchpad at the station (I assume that's all you need to do to load on your ticket, instructions were hopeless for how to actually 'collect' the ticket) and got a big DECLINED message. Luckily the barrier at Central was open but no idea whether I'll get through the barrier on the way back.

Now that it's working I'm loving it. Much easier.

Landslide cancelling trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh via Falkirk High. That's not Scotrail's fault but the last train back from low level is 22.30 and nothing from central later either. They could surely put on a 23.30 out of low level to Edinburgh via Bathgate as a replacement for the cancelled 23.00 and 23.30 via Falkirk High. Will need to get the fucking bus home after Chris Rock now.