Scotrail

ScottR96

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Quite possibly. Must be bad when you choose to jump in front of a train. That happened regularly when I was in London. Must have been 5-10 a year. Up here, not so much.

On the Inverness Wick line you'd probably die of boredom before the train came.

• 2 weeks later...

A perhaps timely bump to this thread given the recent price ‘scandal’.

The good folks of scotrail have charged me for my tickets twice. Great bunch of lads.

On the 27th of December I received a letter with vouchers which I could redeem to the cash value. So, it took an age, too many emails and a few phone calls but I finally have my money back.

Recent poll showing overwhelming support for rail services to be renationalised.

Hardly any coverage of the revelation by Lord Adonis that the government is going to bail out a couple of private operators to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds even though they have no obligation to do so,

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Recent poll showing overwhelming support for rail services to be renationalised.

Hardly any coverage of the revelation by Lord Adonis that the government is going to bail out a couple of private operators to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds even though they have no obligation to do so,

I never understood why they were "privatised" in the first place, still costing the tax payer millions, may as well have left it in public ownership.

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I never understood why they were "privatised" in the first place, still costing the tax payer millions, may as well have left it in public ownership.

Ideological bullshit which had the added attraction to the Tories of syphoning off taxpayers money to their friends and supporters.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Ideological bullshit which had the added attraction to the Tories of syphoning off taxpayers money to their friends and supporters.

Aye, I knew that was the reasoning, I just don't think the UK is big enough for 10/12/15 "competing" rail services, which are supposedly private but actually subsidised by the taxpayer. If you're going to subsidise it you might as well do it straight.

It's arguable that there's absolutely no competition on the railways beyond the west coast vs east coast main lines between Scotland and England. You can choose Glasgow Central via the west coast or Edinburgh via the east. For everything else? It's the absolute opposite of competition. It's monopoly.

There's no competition in Scotland. If I want to get a train in Scotland then the only provider I can use is Abelio Scotrail. I can't pick and choose which train operator I use because there's only 1 covering the whole of Scotland.

Competition has been an absolute failure. The railways should be re-nationalised. There is absolutely no argument to support rail franchising.

24 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I got the train from Aberdeen to Fife and return journey around Christmas time on a Virgin train?

And the West Coast line up to Glasgow. They're c***s though, if you have an open return from Inverness to Perth and you jump on a Virgin train for the return leg they won't accept the ticket, unless you get a decent guard.

On 1/3/2018 at 09:13, Granny Danger said:

The second point is figures being twisted for a political point.  VTEC asked to renegotiate the contract that they operate under because the Government has not delivered the infrastructure they agreed to when they entered into the franchise. This allowed it to pay the premiums required in future years with longer new trains. The government decided the best course of action was to 'take back the keys' if you will to settle the argument. No money is been given to VTEC so there is no bailout, the franchise is being terminated early. Sure, they won't make the future payments, but someone else will although likely not as much but that is mainly the fault of the public side of the industry. For avoidance of doubt VTEC paid £272m in 2017, the public East Coast paid £215m in 2015. 

On nationalisation, I think it is a simplistic argument for a complex issue that for me doesn't address the core issues at play and opens up a host of questions.  Where does the money come from to do this? Do we nationalise everything including ROSCOs and prevent use of private maintenance firms? Privatisation is not an ideal system and can be improved, but nationisation and exposure to short-termist politicians and even more exposure to government budgets and micromanagement isn't in my view the answer. In 1990s people hardly loved BR and still complained about high fares!

The high fares issue is entirely on government policy. They believe that railway passengers should pay the costs not taxpayers. If they wanted to reduce fares they could, but would have to find the money from somewhere or raise taxes!  It's not the private operators.