Scotrail

ScottR96

Question regarding the proposed VEC strike on the May bank holiday weekend. I've booked FC from Aberdeen - Newcastle but changing tickets at Edinburgh to meet up with a stag do. Assuming it will be rail replacement buses and if so how would a refund work here? Obviously I'll have paid more for my FC ticket than others who will be on the same bus journey but with no other perks.

On 11 April 2017 at 14:30, welshbairn said:

I'd get on at Montrose, the conductor would have to be a colossal w**k even to notice far less pull you up on it.

On 11 April 2017 at 14:41, Bairnardo said:

If you get pulled up tell him you got off the train in front at Montrose and are simply reboarding. If you needed a backstory, perhaps you have a particularly ropey tummy and required more toilet paper than currently offered on the forerunning locomotive?

The conditions of the ticket are "No break of journey except for connections".

I'd imagine ScotRail have told their conductors to be on the look out for people starting short on these tickets.  

The conditions of the ticket are "No break of journey except for connections".
I'd imagine ScotRail have told their conductors to be on the look out for people starting short on these tickets.  

That's pretty much what we've been told. There's a few coming down from Aberdeen that we were due to meet on the train anyway so us 4 will probably just meet them up there for a pint before heading back down, which is a pain in the arse but it's still gonna save about £150

23 minutes ago, Aidan said:

That's pretty much what we've been told. There's a few coming down from Aberdeen that we were due to meet on the train anyway so us 4 will probably just meet them up there for a pint before heading back down, which is a pain in the arse but it's still gonna save about £150

I've bought returns to Aberdeen to go from Inverness to Inverurie or Huntly before because it was cheaper, and never had any trouble. I can't see a ticket inspector being arsed about it even he notices, as long as you don't get bolshie. No one's going to know if he checked your ticket before or after Montrose. I suppose it's a lot of money to risk though if you do get a jobsworth w****r.

Edited by welshbairn

I've bought returns to Aberdeen to go from Inverness to Inverurie or Huntly before because it was cheaper, and never had any trouble.

I do this too with Dyce being my local station.

From my experience, the Scotrail staff on the Dundee to Aberdeen line tend to be pretty sound. Virgin / East Coast on the other hand tend to be the miserable jobsworths to watch out for.

Yeah done this before as well to go to Perth. Book from Aberdeen to Glasgow for cheapness. Never had any bother.

Personally it reflects pretty poorly on ScotRail's pricing structure that it's cheaper to go to terminating stations rather than intermediates. I get that these are special tickets but if it's say £50 return for a 4 man fare from Aberdeen, why not make it £30 to Dundee, £40 to Perth. £45 to Stirling. While maintaining the limited availability of these tickets. 9 times out of 10 these trains are half empty anyway.

On 11 April 2017 at 14:42, WaffenThinMint said:

The problem is if your zonecard gets near anything such as a mobile phone, tablet, etc. it busts it. I've left the card in trouser pockets accidentally & it has been fine with the automated barriers even after going through the wash (ticket inspectors however haven't been so amused) . Left near anything generating a magnetic field, & it means a trip to the nearest ticket station to get a replacement (doesn't cost anything, but the time).

Unfortunately this also means if you are on a packed train you could get your card deactivated by someone with their mobile on 24/7 in a pocket, especially on some of the early morning cattle trucks.

As for the station jumping, all they are doing is rationing it out rather than let all the lines take the King Cnut whenever they like.

I keep my phone in the same pocket as my zone card in the jacket I wear to work........

Just got to Hairmyres and the 16.32 is 'cancelled due to train crew delayed', wtf? Aren't they supposed to have standbys for folk that don't turn up for work? Scotraaaaaaaaggggggeeeee!!

Staff delayed could mean they sitting on another train.

At Central sitting on train once and the tannot announced the train would leave as soon as driver arrived and he was a passenger on a late arriving service

Despite having a season ticket loaded to my smartcard, I had to pay an additional fare on-board a Cross Country service today because they don't accept Scotrail smartcards on board. This seems fair enough, but traditional season tickets which cost exactly the same price are accepted without issue. So the reward for cutting down queuing, admin, etc by doing it all myself is reduced flexibility of travel.

Absolute charlatans at Scotrail. A quick Google sees this became apparent in July of last year. Absolutely nothing done about it since then, clearly. 

Stress free train rides today. Not been on a train since the disaster after UFC. Travelled back from Manchester to Edinburgh that time. Only for every train back to Fife broken down. Was stuck at waverley for hours, I'd already been up for 30 or so. Numb from all the sitting I'd done that day. Phone was dead too.

2 hours ago, NathanQP said:

You're buggered if you buy day tickets like me

Same here.

Although I'm not sure how they're going to work this anyway, if someone already has a season ticket covering the whole of May will they extend it by a week or reimburse them for a week?

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Question regarding the proposed VEC strike on the May bank holiday weekend. I've booked FC from Aberdeen - Newcastle but changing tickets at Edinburgh to meet up with a stag do. Assuming it will be rail replacement buses and if so how would a refund work here? Obviously I'll have paid more for my FC ticket than others who will be on the same bus journey but with no other perks.

The strike has been suspended.

A return from Kilpatrick-Dundee tomorrow is £48. But if I bought tickets for Kilpatrick-Queen street, Queen street-Stirling, Stirling-Perth and Perth-Dundee, it's £28. If I do this, would I get pulled up for not getting off at Stirling and Perth?

8 minutes ago, microdave said:

A return from Kilpatrick-Dundee tomorrow is £48. But if I bought tickets for Kilpatrick-Queen street, Queen street-Stirling, Stirling-Perth and Perth-Dundee, it's £28. If I do this, would I get pulled up for not getting off at Stirling and Perth?

Get off and then get back on,problem solved.

11 minutes ago, microdave said:

No, I do similar all the time. It's not illegal to split your tickets.