Scotrail

ScottR96

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably what's been mentioned above. You seem to have been unlucky with your TE/Guard re. being charged peak on an off-peak. FWIW she was within her right to do that if you've come from a station with ticket selling facilities. "Buy before you board" scheme. I think that's to be pushed soon which will be great fun on our line. But as it stands I'm not aware anyone implements it on our route.

The only other suggestion would be to ask for advanced tickets at your booking office if you know exactly what days you're travelling.

Yeah could tell straight away she was gonna hit me with peak charge as she is the type that was properly inspecting tickets, i.e. looking at them, taking them off people and scoring with a pen to show they've been used when 90% were going to be swallowed up by the barrier at central. 

I know that technically she was correct, it was just the computer says no attitude when I explained why I didn't buy at the station. That coupled with the fact her genuine suggestion was to stay in the queue at the station, miss the train and wait 30 minutes for the next one if I wanted a cheap day return that day that got my back up. 

If I boarded at a station where the trains were more frequent then I'd have no complaints as I made the choice to chance it rather than wait, but outlying stations where it is a 2 train an hour service, I don't think so.  

Fingers crossed though Flexipass solves my issues and I can wander to the station at whatever time I like going forward with my only concern being if there are any metros left at the station. 

Scotrail's busiest cattle trucks,

Full story in link but list is;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-39442233

The top 10 busiest trains in Scotland:

1. Edinburgh-Glasgow Central via Shotts, 17:21. Planned loading passengers - 185. Maximum capacity recorded - 270 (146%)

2. Glasgow Central-East Kilbride, 17:01 during the summer. Planned loading passengers - 185. Maximum capacity recorded - 249 (135%)

3. Neilston-Glasgow Central, 08:07. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 375 (133%)

4. Neilston-Glasgow Central, 08:24. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 367 (130%)

5. Edinburgh-Glenrothes w/Thornton, via Dunfermline, 17:53. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 337 (120%)

6. Balloch-Airdrie, 07:07. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 333 (119%)

7. Edinburgh-Dunblane, 16:03. Planned loading passengers - 273. Maximum capacity recorded - 323 (118%)

8. Glasgow Central-East Kilbride, 18:47. Planned loading passengers - 185. Maximum capacity recorded - 212 (115%)

9. East Kilbride-Glasgow Central, 07:59. Planned loading passengers - 555. Maximum capacity recorded - 624 (115%)

10. Dalmuir-Larkhall, 08:18. Planned loading passengers- 281. Maximum capacity recorded - 305 (109%)

Hope no-one endures these ones.

I'm probably completely missing the point. But in their findings they have the Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow Central as the one running at the highest % over capacity. It also runs with just 2 carriages. Now I know they're short of excess carriages but surely they could make this a 3 or even 4 carriage train?

1. Edinburgh-Glasgow Central via Shotts, 17:21. Planned loading passengers - 185. Maximum capacity recorded - 270 (146%)
2. Glasgow Central-East Kilbride, 17:01 during the summer. Planned loading passengers - 185. Maximum capacity recorded - 249 (135%)
3. Neilston-Glasgow Central, 08:07. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 375 (133%)
4. Neilston-Glasgow Central, 08:24. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 367 (130%)
5. Edinburgh-Glenrothes w/Thornton, via Dunfermline, 17:53. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 337 (120%)
6. Balloch-Airdrie, 07:07. Planned loading passengers - 282. Maximum capacity recorded - 333 (119%)
7. Edinburgh-Dunblane, 16:03. Planned loading passengers - 273. Maximum capacity recorded - 323 (118%)
8. Glasgow Central-East Kilbride, 18:47. Planned loading passengers - 185. Maximum capacity recorded - 212 (115%)
9. East Kilbride-Glasgow Central, 07:59. Planned loading passengers - 555. Maximum capacity recorded - 624 (115%)
10. Dalmuir-Larkhall, 08:18. Planned loading passengers- 281. Maximum capacity recorded - 305 (109%)

The 16.33 Edinburgh to Perth train is the last off peak train. It has 2 carriages and is regularly cattle truck conditions. I'm surprised it didn't make the list. It's one of those tired '80s style/early '90s style trains too. Just horrible.

On 30/03/2017 at 15:29, MEADOWXI said:

I get on and off these trains at Giffnock most days and it's nothing short of a f*cking shambles every day. The 07:59 gets to Giffnock at 8.16 folk are already having to stand. By Thornliebank and Pollokshaws West you're squeezed right in with folk piling in the doors at the last second. I can't understand how the train conductors don't report how bad an issue it is. There's a part between Thornliebank and Pollokshaws West where two train lines join and there's a 'jolt' at that point. Often puts people who are on their feet on their arse as they've nothing to hold on to since it's so crammed. 

About 18 months ago I was on the 8.16 into Glasgow. Approaching Crossmyloof and we're told the train in front is stuck as its brakes have seized. Sat on the train line before Crossmyloof for an hour and 20 minutes, every carriage literally filled with no room for movement. As you can imagine it got very hot and stuffy amongst the people standing up which caused a couple of people to faint. It's a massive health and safety risk that needs to be addressed immediately although it'll never happen. 

I can't understand how the train conductors don't report how bad an issue it is.

They probably will tbh. And even if they didn't they more than likely wouldn't be able to get through the train to sell tickets and if that was happening every day on the same service it would surely flag up. Either way, I'd say it's not the conductors who are failing to deal with this particular issue.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

I get on and off these trains at Giffnock most days and it's nothing short of a f*cking shambles every day. The 07:59 gets to Giffnock at 8.16 folk are already having to stand. By Thornliebank and Pollokshaws West you're squeezed right in with folk piling in the doors at the last second. I can't understand how the train conductors don't report how bad an issue it is. There's a part between Thornliebank and Pollokshaws West where two train lines join and there's a 'jolt' at that point. Often puts people who are on their feet on their arse as they've nothing to hold on to since it's so crammed. 

About 18 months ago I was on the 8.16 into Glasgow. Approaching Crossmyloof and we're told the train in front is stuck as its brakes have seized. Sat on the train line before Crossmyloof for an hour and 20 minutes, every carriage literally filled with no room for movement. As you can imagine it got very hot and stuffy amongst the people standing up which caused a couple of people to faint. It's a massive health and safety risk that needs to be addressed immediately although it'll never happen. 

The 18:06 to Neilston train used to be dangerously overcrowded, however they have recently turned it into a 6 carriage train so not anywhere near as bad as it was.

I'd love to see the maximum capacity figures for that service before they added the extra 3 carriages.

Might be worth sending a tweet every few days to Scotrail if the service is full as it may make them pay more attention to these figures and get coupe of extra carriages added to the service. Hopefully not at the expense of the extra carriages on the 18:06 Neilston service mind you.

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

They probably will tbh. And even if they didn't they more than likely wouldn't be able to get through the train to sell tickets and if that was happening every day on the same service it would surely flag up. Either way, I'd say it's not the conductors who are failing to deal with this particular issue.

Out of interest on mainly 'commuter' trains are you expected to sell a lot of tickets? I would have thought that people travelling same services 5 days a week would be buying in advance to save some cash, so wouldn't have expected ticket sales (or lack of) to be used as an indicator of a overcrowded service?

Out of interest on mainly 'commuter' trains are you expected to sell a lot of tickets? I would have thought that people travelling same services 5 days a week would be buying in advance to save some cash, so wouldn't have expected ticket sales (or lack of) to be used as an indicator of a overcrowded service?

We don't anything such as targets and I've never known anyone to be pulled up because of poor revenue. But we've to go through (where possible) on every service. But in the instance above we'd get in more bother if we were late opening the doors than if we failed to sell tickets. Therefore you probably won't see a conductor if it's an overcrowded train as the chances of them getting to the doors in the crowds are obviously slim! :lol: You'd be surprised how much money is on the commuter trains even excluding season tickets.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We don't anything such as targets and I've never known anyone to be pulled up because of poor revenue. But we've to go through (where possible) on every service. But in the instance above we'd get in more bother if we were late opening the doors than if we failed to sell tickets. Therefore you probably won't see a conductor if it's an overcrowded train as the chances of them getting to the doors in the crowds are obviously slim! :lol: You'd be surprised how much money is on the commuter trains even excluding season tickets.

The bit I've bolded is interesting as when the 18:07 Neilston service was just 3 carriages, you understandably wouldn't see the conductor till normally Muirend where they would put in an appearance once enough people had disembarked and train was no longer overcrowded. 

Guess though there is still enough money for them to take a quick walk through even if the train is halfway through the service at the risk of them being found out they had opened the doors late.

54 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Got to admit, the few remnants of teenagership that I have managed to retain sees me trying to jook the train, or part of the journey I can, any time I'm on one. 

Having done a few longer journies in the last year, I have to say you could jook the inter-city trains a lot more easily than the 'local' versions. I was at Berwick this weekend, and never got my ticket checked between Edinburgh and Berwick in either direction. Same when I went to Manchester Airport by train last year.

Got to admit, the few remnants of teenagership that I have managed to retain sees me trying to jook the train, or part of the journey I can, any time I'm on one. 
Having done a few longer journies in the last year, I have to say you could jook the inter-city trains a lot more easily than the 'local' versions. I was at Berwick this weekend, and never got my ticket checked between Edinburgh and Berwick in either direction. Same when I went to Manchester Airport by train last year.

It must depend what kind of guard you get. I've twice went from Lockerbie to Glasgow on the TPE and both times I never saw a conductor. I think it's understandable if it's short gaps between stops that you won't see a guard but there's a fair distance between Lockerbie and Glasgow and it wasn't even remotely busy either time.

17 hours ago, Scosha said:

Down to 4 carriages today when it's usually 6 :lol: no room for anyone else after Giffnock.