Scotrail

ScottR96

Will blag my Central to Irvine part of ticket to Kilmarnock and bus from there.....

Or face the Paisley hoards...

Left plenty of time anyway

I'll bear this in mind if there is someone on my train with a ticket to Irvine tomorrow :P

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried using the new Scotrail app? Absolutely stinking update. It's now just the website wrapped up in an app. Finding your tickets is a chore as now it just gives you a big list of all the tickets you've ever bought and you need to go wading through them all to find whatever one you need for your upcoming journey rather than simply having a nice chronological list showing your upcoming journeys in date order.

I've recently starting using the train to get into work and have got myself one of the Scotrail Smartcards.

Anyone know if there are any adverse effects to forgetting to 'tap out'? I seem to forget more than I remember in all honesty. The validator at Kirkcaldy station is terribly positioned.

That aside, they're pretty decent. Season ticket loaded online, no issues at the barriers as of yet.

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

I've recently starting using the train to get into work and have got myself one of the Scotrail Smartcards.

Anyone know if there are any adverse effects to forgetting to 'tap out'? I seem to forget more than I remember in all honesty. The validator at Kirkcaldy station is terribly positioned.

That aside, they're pretty decent. Season ticket loaded online, no issues at the barriers as of yet.

I might be wrong on this, but I'm fairly certain conductors can check if it's been done or not and I would imagine there would be some sort of consequence. My mate has one that gives him free travel because his old man works for Scotrail, 9 times out of 10 they don't bother but occasionally they will check to ensure its been done. Although I would imagine they would be a lot more insistent on checking it if it was just a standard season ticket.

14 minutes ago, Paco said:

I tap it to get through the barrier in Glasgow. I've never bothered tapping it on the validator thing when I get off, been using it since September and not had an issue.

It is pretty decent to be fair. There were quite a few issues at first where their system had a whitey and nothing could read it, no such problems of the last couple of months though.

Main complaint is the shitey website for renewing the season ticket on it, absolute dugmeat.

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Has anyone tried using the new Scotrail app? Absolutely stinking update. It's now just the website wrapped up in an app. Finding your tickets is a chore as now it just gives you a big list of all the tickets you've ever bought and you need to go wading through them all to find whatever one you need for your upcoming journey rather than simply having a nice chronological list showing your upcoming journeys in date order.

I tried the new app yesterday when I realised that I needed to change a booking.  Absolutely awful - the old one which saw 8 different cleared headed tabs was a lot easier than this pish now.

Then of course I couldn't amend my ticket as it is non-refundable so have had to book another ticket. 

5 hours ago, Paco said:

Re "tapping out." In London, on all TfL routes, you can use your contactless bank card to enter and exit the system. The penalty for failing to tap out is that it would be assumed you had journeyed to the maximum, and would be charged accordingly, even if your actual journey was to a neighbouring station. It's great, by the way. You can cross the city for £2.40

20 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

I tried the new app yesterday when I realised that I needed to change a booking.  Absolutely awful - the old one which saw 8 different cleared headed tabs was a lot easier than this pish now.

Then of course I couldn't amend my ticket as it is non-refundable so have had to book another ticket. 

The new app is bad compared to the previous version.  Everything takes a few extra steps and the overall layout is poor.  I tried booking a ticket with the app but gave up at the point where I had to select a date/time.  Up popped a really basic date selector.  If you know roughly when you need to travel like the 2nd weekend of May but don't know what date(s) that is exactly then you're stuck.  The old app had a calendar that popped up which made finding the date pretty straight forward and quick.  I gave up booking that ticket and just waited till I could get to a desktop later that day.  

I've seen plenty of people complaining to Scotrail on Twitter about how bad the app is.  Scotrails standard response is "Thanks for the feedback, its been noted.  The update has received a mixed response".  By mixed response I assume they mean overwhelmingly negative based on Twitter and the reviews on the Google Play and iTunes stores.

Question for the Scotrail employees. I work from home 2-3 times a week and the days in the office, I travel at off peak times. The days at home and in the office can vary week to week. I usually just buy my ticket at the station which 9/10 times is no problem. However on the odd occasion that the station is busier than normal or I'm running late for whatever reason I would just buy on he train.

However the last time this happened the old sour faced boot charged me peak travel citing conditions of travel and stating that I should have waited in the queue to buy my off peak ticket.

Given that trains are every 30 minutes from my station, waiting in the queue if the ticket office is busy to buy my ticket and missing the train is a no no. Additionally season tickets are not value for money and the smart cards seem to need you to specify which days tickets will be used on which isn't of much use as I can end up having to work from home last minute some days which again is not value for money. 

I've tried to look at the holocaust that is the scotrail ticketing website to no avail. 

So my question is given my particular situation is there any form of ticket I can buy in advance or on the occasions that life gets in the way and I am unable to buy a ticket before the train departs the station am I at the mercy of the conditions of travel, and old sour faces lack of common sense when implementing said conditions?

1 hour ago, Cille Mhernaig said:

Question for the Scotrail employees. I work from home 2-3 times a week and the days in the office, I travel at off peak times. The days at home and in the office can vary week to week. I usually just buy my ticket at the station which 9/10 times is no problem. However on the odd occasion that the station is busier than normal or I'm running late for whatever reason I would just buy on he train.

However the last time this happened the old sour faced boot charged me peak travel citing conditions of travel and stating that I should have waited in the queue to buy my off peak ticket.

Given that trains are every 30 minutes from my station, waiting in the queue if the ticket office is busy to buy my ticket and missing the train is a no no. Additionally season tickets are not value for money and the smart cards seem to need you to specify which days tickets will be used on which isn't of much use as I can end up having to work from home last minute some days which again is not value for money. 

I've tried to look at the holocaust that is the scotrail ticketing website to no avail. 

So my question is given my particular situation is there any form of ticket I can buy in advance or on the occasions that life gets in the way and I am unable to buy a ticket before the train departs the station am I at the mercy of the conditions of travel, and old sour faces lack of common sense when implementing said conditions?

Flexipass

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I will check at the station what the cost is and more importantly if it is available on that line as I had already asked at the ticket office who had said there was nothing I could do except buy on the day. :lol:

Hopefully it is available as that looks like exactly what I am after. Thanks very much.

I will check at the station what the cost is and more importantly if it is available on that line as I had already asked at the ticket office who had said there was nothing I could do except buy on the day. :lol:
Hopefully it is available as that looks like exactly what I am after. Thanks very much.

Probably what's been mentioned above. You seem to have been unlucky with your TE/Guard re. being charged peak on an off-peak. FWIW she was within her right to do that if you've come from a station with ticket selling facilities. "Buy before you board" scheme. I think that's to be pushed soon which will be great fun on our line. But as it stands I'm not aware anyone implements it on our route.

The only other suggestion would be to ask for advanced tickets at your booking office if you know exactly what days you're travelling.