struggling with motherwell nothing is working

ixi the patriot

I started the season no bad picking up points and beating celtic.

I'm now near the end of January 1 point away from 11th a few more points away from 12th. I'm 12 games without a win in a freefall that I'm struggling to get out of. The morale has totally gone due to the rubbish form and half the team is upset I got rid of Robinson. it's injury after injury.

I'm currently using 4-4-1-1 trying to counter attack with Johnson and Ainsworth/Thomas as wingers, either McFadden or McDonald as attacking mid and moult up top. I've tried playing 5 in mid slightly more defensive with dm and it helps with amount of goals I concede but then I'm creating very little chances as a consequence of playing lone striker with no support.

Anyone recommend any advice?

I've found that, this year especially, sticking with the same tactics game on game doesn't work at all. I had stumbled across a decent tactic which all of a sudden stopped working on me after a pretty successful season, so you need to try and change it around. That in itself can be difficult to be honest.

Also found that playing a DM and 4 midfielders in front of him creates a lack of chances, that was a go to tactic for me in the past. I started playing an anchorman with MR ML and 2 AMCs (one support, one attack) with one up, seemed to work well.

Basically, though, these tactics only work if you have the players to support it.

Tried a 4-2-3-1 wide? Perticularly in away games you could have wingers (Aimsworth and Thomas) on support but the striker wouldn't be isolated with someone like McDonald in the shadow striker role. There isn't much height in the team but there are quick players (especially with Robinson up top) so you would need to keep your play fast, and hit the wings. You say it's still Jan? If so you could get a playmaker on loan, perhaps Jake Forster-Caskey from Brighton, to play alongside a ball winner (Leitch or Lasley) and you'll have a pretty decent team. However as has already been said you can't stick with any one tactic for too long.

Don't give up!

Your right about same tactic not working as that's what seem to happen I was playing well with an asymmetric 442 then all of a sudden it stopped working. I've seen the 4231 wide never used it as getting over run in midfield seems to be an issue in most games. But I'll give it a try.

Only loan signings I'll be able to get are ones with 0% wages contribution as I've spent the little budgets I had on pre contracts signings I'd been scouting for next season.

Lately most of my goals have came from McFadden assists so try to incorporate him for 60mins and McDonald has only managed 2 goals all season and has played or made an appearance in most matches.

Not really looked in u20 but will have a look later, the biggest weakness of the team is defence. When I score goals I concede just as many when I go defensive with 5 mid I lose 1-0 or draw. So I think my best bet is set up to score goals and try score more goals than them.

I've always found that 3-5-2 is a good formation on FM. Employed with Dundee Utd during FM14 and went onto win the league every year up until 2027. I even had the new stadium Utd moved to named after me!

Tried a 4-2-3-1 wide? Perticularly in away games you could have wingers (Aimsworth and Thomas) on support but the striker wouldn't be isolated with someone like McDonald in the shadow striker role. There isn't much height in the team but there are quick players (especially with Robinson up top) so you would need to keep your play fast, and hit the wings. You say it's still Jan? If so you could get a playmaker on loan, perhaps Jake Forster-Caskey from Brighton, to play alongside a ball winner (Leitch or Lasley) and you'll have a pretty decent team. However as has already been said you can't stick with any one tactic for too long.

Don't give up!

So I switched to the 4231 as suggested and went attacking with McDonald as shadow striker Johnson and Thomas on wings (ainsworth injured) and moult up top. its early days but you may have just saved my season.

http://tinypic.com/r/ftfotc/9

Im in the third season and Robinson regularly gets the goal of the month by picking the ball up on the halfway line, beating five men and smashing one in.

Its hugely frustrating.

Finished the season on 8th with moult getting top goalscorer award in league.

I got offered another contract with motherwell but I asked the board for a bigger wage budget they said if you sign the contract in good faith they would do so. The contract said the wage budget would be 51k it was originally about 38k so the increase would plenty for a few decent signings. During the second week of pre season they revised the wage budget and reduced it to 36k I'm now over my wage budget and still a bit light in a few positions. Another struggle this year again be lucky to avoid relegation. I could sell Cadden who improved so much but the board slashed my percentage from transfers also.

First of all, well done on getting up to 8th and good decision keeping Moult over Robinson! That's a horrible slice to the budget so to get any quality into the team you are going to need to keep a small squad, and try and avoid many injuries. If you can get anyone half-decent on loan with 0% wage contribution I would recommend signing them, even if only to make up the numbers. If anyone in the U20s has any potential maybe you will have to throw them in at the deep end and hope for the best.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I've only just started playing FM16 since getting my laptop fixed, I've done my usual and returned to the Well to get used to it again!

Currently sitting in 5th place in late November, sadly just been beaten to end an 8 game unbeaten run which had seen me fluctuate between 5th and 1st - lost quite a few at the start of the season which has hampered me a bit.

Tactics-wise I've gone for a 4-1-2-3, Ripley in goals with a predictable back line of Hammell, McManus, Laing and Law. I rotate Jack Leitch with a Liverpool loanee (Pedro Chirivella), with Lasley and Pearo sitting in the middle. Johnson out left with Cameron Brannagan (another loanee) on the right, and either Moult or Fletcher up top by himself. Pearson has just got injured medium-term so scope for Cadden or Gomis to come in.

Skippy injured himself during pre-season and is only just back, but I'm struggling to see how I could fit him in. Likewise with Faddy, which has led to rumblings of discontent even though the team is playing well.

Anyone else found that the players take the huff a lot more easily in this one? That's Faddy and Ben Hall threatening to start a mutiny if they don't start more games.

Actually finding it all quite easy thus far although I don't think the AI has cracked my tactic quite yet. The quality in the squad definitely lends itself to the kind of formation I've outlined but keen to see whether going with a traditional midfield 3 would stop me losing as many goals on the counter. Despite Leitch being set as an anchor man he's good for one or two forays up the park when the mood takes him...

• 4 months later...

With motherwell might i suggest a 4141 attacking wingbacks deep lying forwatd box to box midfielders 1 dm playing in front of back 4 and skippy on his own as dlf and wingers/wide midfielders do what u feel best but i recomend support wingers

Archived