Magazine Model/Collectibles

It's the period just after Christmas when the greedy queue up to prey on the gullible, attempting to separate you from ludicrous amounts of money in exchange for lower-quality shite than usual. I've just seen this advert on the telly:

100 magazines, sending you parts to build your own model (a relatively large model) of a Ford Mustang. 100 weekly editions. Costing £1.99 for the first edition, then eh... £8.99 for the others. Meaning you'll be paying £892 over two years in order to have a slightly shoddily made, huge toy.

What does strike me as I read over the FAQs is the possibility of the "Premium Subscription" for the low low addition of... £1.50 per issue. Meaning that for an extra £150 you get a hat, a t-shirt, a lighter, a folder to put the magazines in and a case put the car in. Over a grand, for all of that. What a world.

Have any P&Bers ever spent an inordinate amount of money on one of these scams? Are you happy with your outlay?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be wanting to drive the fucking thing for that money. It's impressive that they sell enough to make it worthwhile, but if you do a search about online, these companies do sometimes stop the series halfway through if sales are down. How raging would you be if you'd spent £500 on half a toy car? :lol:

That being said... :ph34r:

I did the Orbis World Cup 90 Collection back when I was a wean. It came in about twenty parts, each costing more than a sticker album alone, and then you bought the stickers too like a Panini album, so it was a bit pricey. Worth every penny though, IMO. I think this was about the only thing I ever used those ring reinforcers on - f**k schoolwork :P

They did a follow-up for the domestic clubs in England and Scotland, which I presume wasn't as successful as I don't think they ever did another. It was an absolute beast and came in several folders, but was just as good, with loads of info on all the clubs:

orbis-football-sticker-album-cover.jpg

...and I got the wife a subscription to the DC Comics Chess Collection a few years back. Looks like they've done several sets since then, but we stopped after the one. I think it was maybe £6.99 per issue, with the first being £1.99, so...£1.99+(£6.99*31)=£218.68? They threw in the chessboard after you'd subscribed for a few issues too. Not too bad, and it looks like the pieces have increased in value since then. It's a lovely set too, if you're into Batman and that stuff, and apparently the magazines were worth a read.

Oh, and she did that DeAgostini Star Wars Figurine collection ages back too, but got bored after about fifty issues. The wee figures were quite nice with that as well, it was just obviously going to go on until you'd need a fucking room to house them all. She liked the magazines with that also, and she used to be one of those hardcore types who'd read all novels and could probably tell you how many ketoflops the Millennium Falcon could flange while Han Solo took a dump (or whatever).

Bunch of credulous wankers, these folk :whistle

Years ago my son decided that he would like a collection magazine, the human body and every 2 weeks we got it and started building it bit by bit and it was getting to look like a skeleton with organs that had fallen out, fast forward about 3 months when it was actually looking half decent and he was reading the books all interested, when all of a sudden he doesn't like it anymore and just wanted to go out on his bike all the time not interested in it. Jeeso for the money that was spent on it I thought it was going to come back to life! I can also remember the seethe from the shop owner when we stopped ordering it.

I managed to complete a Dinosaur one when I was wee. It was only £1.50 an issue though.

Frontcover.jpg

I also collected this, but only until the glow in the dark skeleton was complete.

post-35456-14522440169136_thumb.jpg

I've subscribed to 3 things in my time. The Marvel and DC graphic novel collections and the Marvel figurine collection. The Marvel graphic novels made a picture on the spine and was meant to be 60 issues. At 62 issues I questioned what was going on and was told it had been extended to 100 - eh no. The same with the figurines, before I subscribed I asked how many in the series and they said 60 but then they extended it to 100.

977204867700109.jpgoriginal.pngoriginal.png

s-l225.jpg

Used to get this when I was a wee boy, I think it was fortnightly. Stopped collecting after about issue 15. I remember the first issue was about Elizabeth the first, each issue had loads of stuff to cut out and stick together.

Have any P&Bers ever spent an inordinate amount of money on one of these scams? Are you happy with your outlay?

I completed both a Horrible Histories one and a Mr. Bean's A-Z. The Horrible Histories one came with a magazine, a timeline thing and some cards but I can't remember what they did. The Mr. Bean one was just magazines and had folders to stick them in. It had stickers to collect as well. I remember a 'scratch and sniff' sticker of some African dung beetle and it was revolting.

They were both pretty interesting as a kid and £2 a fortnight for education about history/the world in general was pretty cool. Still got them kicking about the house somewhere. Might dig them out.

It's the period just after Christmas when the greedy queue up to prey on the gullible, attempting to separate you from ludicrous amounts of money in exchange for lower-quality shite than usual. I've just seen this advert on the telly:

100 magazines, sending you parts to build your own model (a relatively large model) of a Ford Mustang. 100 weekly editions. Costing £1.99 for the first edition, then eh... £8.99 for the others. Meaning you'll be paying £892 over two years in order to have a slightly shoddily made, huge toy.

What does strike me as I read over the FAQs is the possibility of the "Premium Subscription" for the low low addition of... £1.50 per issue. Meaning that for an extra £150 you get a hat, a t-shirt, a lighter, a folder to put the magazines in and a case put the car in. Over a grand, for all of that. What a world.

If anyone is stupid enough to fork out this amount for such shite, it serves the c***s right and to make things worse, they'll probably look like this

Geeky.jpg

we got "The Great Composers" when I were a lad 30 years ago and now there are 50 cassettes of classical music gathering dust on a shelf in the living room*. The mag wasn't too bad a read- a potted life of the composer, a guide to music and musical instruments and a historical background feature (e.g. the rise of Napoleon for the Beethoven issue).

They reissued the series in the mid 1990s- the quality of the cassettes had gone well down (I didn't have a CD player at the time, should have perhaps just bought the CD issues)

(*I suppose I could still play them, but I can't be arsed)

I completed the south Africa world cup panini sticker album and I reckon it cost me in the region of 180 quid despite using an online sticker trading website.

Back in my younger days I completed this, http://www.amazon.com/Wildlife-Fact-Complete-Binders-Volume/dp/B000MOF1M6

Later learning it cost my gran around 200 quid which could buy a house in the 1990s

Archived