Third Lanark

Wilky1878

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From memory Murray owned top three Basketball sides in Britain. MIM, Team Solripe who became Glasgow Rangers and Manchester United. I watched one live game at Meadowbank MOM V Barcelona. Alton Byrd was good but Barca won.

They were based out of the forum in livi for a bit aswell. Top player byrd and a real star attraction.

Ive been hearing this about Thirds since the early 70s

Isn't it time the mods locked this? The answer appears to have been a collective, "naw", so the continuous bumping back up by the original poster is getting a bit ridiculous.

Um, you've just bumped the thread twice in succession, so the person actually to blame is you. Truth hurts, eh?

How is the revival going? Maybe cathkin is a bit of stretch but could they join I imagine south of Scotland league next season, playing from where ever they play amateur games.

From the start of this thread I only seen a history lesson but not any updates. Hope it's not false start story.

How is the revival going? Maybe cathkin is a bit of stretch but could they join I imagine south of Scotland league next season, playing from where ever they play amateur games.

From the start of this thread I only seen a history lesson but not any updates. Hope it's not false start story.

I've been hearing about Thirds coming back since they went - 49 years ago.

I'm not holding my breath for the "return".

yeah, sadly it looks like the zillionth iteration of the old "Thirds r pure comin back" shaggy dog story. A pity, as this one seemed to have more a bit more substance to it.

I guess ageing-celebrity endorsements and good hearts aren't enough to get a club up and running beyond the amateiurs which is a pity.

Third Lanark in the SoS seems feasible to get them up and running, playing at Lesser Hampden perhaps?

Third Lanark in the SoS seems feasible to get them up and running, playing at Lesser Hampden perhaps?

Brought this up before back in 2012 - with the use of Hampden for the Commonwealth Games, that put any ideas of using it last and this season on the back burner.

The probable reason for not using Nether Hampden is the risk of losing Cathkin to another club - & a big part of the argument they have in appealing for funding & support is that not merely nostalgia but they will transform the local park & take it away from being used at the local summertime drinking den (it used to be worse as there was evidence it was being used as a "shooting gallery").

The counter argument - that they're more likely to get funding to take over & restore Cathkin once they've got something to show for themselves - appears to be lost on the current group running the club. They claim they're aiming for Junior status within 5 years, but they're talking a lot of money to clear up Cathkin to achieve that - & they've already had one serious split in their ranks over the club's future direction last year resulting in a mass walk out on 24th April last year to form Old Oak Thistle (named after a pub).

Archived