Third Lanark

Wilky1878

Couple of questions do Third Lanark still have fans kicking about or have they all went to different clubs or did a lot of them not follow any other club due to loyalty.

And why are they called the Hi Hi's.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of questions do Third Lanark still have fans kicking about or have they all went to different clubs or did a lot of them not follow any other club due to loyalty.

And why are they called the Hi Hi's.

I've known one person now in his late 60s who said he went to see the Hi Hi.

Doubt if i'd call him a fan.

He certainly never mentioned fans meeting up or anything.

Any fans they had disappeared after 1967 when the SFA laughed at them.

Compare it say with Clydebank supporters

who banded together after all else failed and formed a Junior team.

Outside of a dodgy Thatcherite MP Teddy Taylor (Glasgow Cathcart) nobody did anything about it after 1967.

Third Lanark fans, certainly i never met anybody walking about wearing a scarf etc.

I reckon the few the Thirds had just scattered.

It's claimed Pollok Juniors got a few.

Maybe a present day Pollok fan could tell us.

Plus the area near suffered a dramatic depopulation in the decade after 1967.

A whole part of the Govanhill tenaments vanished along with the Gorbals.

The Hi Hi bar in Crown St lasted about another 10 years and then that disappeared.

Should add i always thought the Hi Hi bar was more of a Celtic pub.

Remember it had an old Third Lanark photo on the wall and a duke box full of rebel records.

We're talking the old Gorbals here.

The Hi Hi saying, eff knows, it all sounds a bit Bully Wee to me.

Any remaining fans of Third Lanark would be about my vintage, maybe be generous and say 7 or 8 years younger, which means they would have been 8 or 9 when they went bust. Any child that age would have vague memories of going to matches, and imo would soon have started supporting another team, although Pat McGeady was only 7 when Thirds went under, and he still holds a candle for them.

Older fans would perhapd still have considered themselves Thirds fans first and foremost while perhaps going to watcg someone else, I've read that a few started following Pollok.

Crowds at Cathkin were down to about 500ish at the end up, I cannot for the life of me see a resurrected Thirds drawing reasonable crowds.

Back in the 50s and 60s many people still worked a half day on Saturdays, which combined with poorer roads and slower public transport would have precluded many fans going to away games, and I always got the impression - apart from their hardcore support, which they obviously had - many Celtic/Rangers fans would have gone to Cathkin - or Shawfield - on a regular basis whenever their big team wasn't at home or playing too far away.

I've read many times they are called the Hi Hi because at a game the ball was continually kicked up in the air, eventually accompanied by shouts of "High, high, high", which was shortened to Hi Hi.

No idea how true that is, but as I have said, have seen that written many times.

Think Rangers fans gravitated more towards Third Lanark as their wee team and Celtic fans more towards Clyde. That was in the era when a lot of people in Dundee and Edinburgh would also go to see one club one week and the other club the next as well. My pet theory would be that the people who did that were the ones that floated away to do other things when leisure and entertainment options such as TV became available in the 60s and 70s, leaving the more committed and tribal hardcore following one club obsessively. Most LL clubs have minimal support, so getting at least that far shouldn't be mission impossible for them is there is more than just Pat McGeady committed to this. The SPFL may be a bridge too far though.

If Clyde are serious about moving back to Glasgow I would have thought that Cathkin would be a better option than reviving Thirds. It is near(ish) to Shawfield and it is possible that Glasgow council may look favourably.

Surely it would be better for Clyde fans than trekking to Cumbernauld, EK or sharing at Shettleston or Hampden as have been mooted before.

If Clyde are serious about moving back to Glasgow I would have thought that Cathkin would be a better option than reviving Thirds. It is near(ish) to Shawfield and it is possible that Glasgow council may look favourably.

Surely it would be better for Clyde fans than trekking to Cumbernauld, EK or sharing at Shettleston or Hampden as have been mooted before.

That's an option I've never seen mooted before - over to Clyde fans!

Cathkin would cost more to restore than the other options. It's not happening.

Think Rangers fans gravitated more towards Third Lanark as their wee team and Celtic fans more towards Clyde. That was in the era when a lot of people in Dundee and Edinburgh would also go to see one club one week and the other club the next as well. My pet theory would be that the people who did that were the ones that floated away to do other things when leisure and entertainment options such as TV became available in the 60s and 70s, leaving the more committed and tribal hardcore following one club obsessively. Most LL clubs have minimal support, so getting at least that far shouldn't be mission impossible for them is there is more than just Pat McGeady committed to this. The SPFL may be a bridge too far though.

I've personally never heard of any Old Firm split regarding anybody going to see Third Lanark or Clyde.

The only person i knew that mentioned Thirds was hardly Ibrox minded.

And Clyde never struck me as being either or.

Clyde did after all start out in Bridgeton but probably had as many supporters in the Gorbals.

I stand to be corrected if you know something different.

Not saying there was any sectarian thing going on. It would have all revolved around who tended to play at home at the same time back when Glasgow would often have six top flight clubs.

Actually that only happened in 4 of the post war seasons up until Thirds relegation in 1964/65, viz 1945/46 - 1947/48 and 1957/58, primarily because Queens Park were usually in Division B/Two, but also because Clyde and Third Lanark bounced up and down like yo-yos between the two divisions on the 50s and 60s.

Since Thirds demise, the remaining 5 Glasgow clubs have never all been in the top flight at once.

Archived