Third Lanark

Wilky1878

A CRICKET club? FFS! The existing cricket clubs have problems enough getting players, let alone some club with no history of interest in the sport.

This stinks of trying to do anything in the vain hope they'll get some of the local Asian businessmen to back it.

"A spokesman for the local Asian community" - quite aside from why the coyness as to whom this is, for fks sake, this is the 21st century & you've still got people falling for this pish? Like Asians are some homogeneous lump who will do whatever Big Chief Mighty Khan has negotiated with White Man in Big House after smoking Pipe of Pot? 

Get with the programme, unless THEY are running it or stand to make some sort of material benefit from it, you can wait until doomsday before they're going to help - least of all a club with fleeting links to the British armed forces.

"We also want to encourage people who play badminton, squash and other sports."

Um, ever get the feeling this has got "knocking down Cathkin & building some soulless jerry built Community Stadium with a lifespan of 15 years tops" written all over it?

What happened to John Sweeney bankrolling a rebuilt Cathkin for the Juniors or Lowlands last April? Or has that been another load of hot air they hoped would attract other investors looking to get a slice of the action? If they are now going to go pratting around Govanhill hoping to appeal to the multiple nationalities to join in with such tales, perhaps Alexander & co ought to know every Slav child is told the tale of the Axe Soup - which is exactly what this whole business sounds like.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only is their approach borderline racist: "We'll play cricket too...youse like that, don't you?" but they seem to not really have a handle on the area they're trying to pimp their club to.

The wealthier Asian punters who would be in a position to potentially help them have long since moved away from Govanhill, which is an area which since time immemorial has been home to successive groups of the newest - and poorest - arrivals in the country. A lot of the businesses in the area are still Asian-owned, but the local demographic is a lot more skewed towards Romanians and Slovakians now.

To be taken seriously at all, they need to ditch the Cathkin Park idea once and for all - it's romanticised bullshit. The ruin of their park is literally ringed with sporting facilities already - Toryglen, Hampden itself, Lesser, and even the Queen's Park Recs - there's no reason for the (probably outgoing anyway) council to pump further money into that area. Like many others on here, I'm sceptical if there's any crowd left to follow them; given the passage of time their original fanbase are either dead or OAPs, and the demographic changes in the area since their demise would suggest a new team would struggle to attract fans.

Until they come up with a plan that doesn't involve local government pumping what would probably need to be a couple of million they don't have into their crumbling white elephant, the resurrection of Thirds is likely to remain just a silly season story to be run ad infinitum whenever some blawhard wants his name in the paper.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats to the Hi Hi on winning their league yesterday - interesting tweet from their official account.

Why include The Juniors "official" (sort of) website in their shoutouts. Looks like at least some of them do have pipe dreams of making the Juniors, although still nothing tangible has been discussed.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly ambitious - if I'm reading the plans right the terracing would be cleared of trees bringing it all back into use? Or are only the bits between the white/grey lines meant, with the rest remaining overgrown?

Would also build a 2,000 seat grandstand... There is even a nod to the old pavilion with the clubhouse to the left of the 5-aside pitches appearing to have a pitchside balcony. If all that came to pass you would have a stadium along the lines of Somerset Park in Ayr - albeit with a more modern stand and larger terraces (but without cover).

JS116830564.jpg

One thing that did immediately strike me was that, for a proposal apparently motivated by a "synergy" of football and cricket, there doesn't appear to be a cricket pitch in the complex?

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

JS116830564.jpg

One thing that did immediately strike me was that, for a proposal apparently motivated by a "synergy" of football and cricket, there doesn't appear to be a cricket pitch in the complex?

They'll probably just play on the same pitch, which is never ideal but isn't unheard of in Scotland.

Hi,

I'm the Manager of the current amateur team. Todays article has provoked a lot of reaction which is good.

I try not to involve myself in these things as I just stick to trying to improving the team.

I've been at the club many years. Firstly as a player and in last few years in my current position. To be honest, Cathkin is something that i've seen more so as a distraction in the past. The talks with council never really went too far and things were stale in that area for a while. A new Chairman came in this year and with that came greater connections in the community. The talks with the council have went further than ever to a point that we were asked to show proof that the funds are there which we obliged. The local elections seem to be causing the delay at the moment but we'll keep pressing.

The cricket addition is a recent addition and contact with the people we have making all these plans have advised us that they have plans to incorporate both.

As I say, I don't know all the answers. My job is simply the Manager of the team but I can say that with the current board, I'm more confident than ever that this will happen.

What I can say is that if we don't get it this time, this story will not run again. We will build the ground somewhere else. We've no divine right to the ground but we couldn't use the name Third Lanark and then not try our hardest to get this ground. With this attempt, theres nothing more we can actually do to get the ground. We've proven the finances are there and we have the backing of the local community.

Theres a lot of people working hard to make it happen but theres only so much we can do.

Thanks for all your support.

with Meadowbank's redevelopment looming could you find a home for these magnficent b*****ds at Cathkin- they'd put Third's on the map (literally) and I don't suppose Edinburgh Cooncil would be hard to deal with....!

floodlights.thumb.jpg.e05d35ae46d345e7c3030480c1c748b3.jpg

pink.thumb.jpg.efd2806c4348dc1e6169e5de7d352271.jpg

1 hour ago, Ampie said:

Hi,

I'm the Manager of the current amateur team. Todays article has provoked a lot of reaction which is good.

I try not to involve myself in these things as I just stick to trying to improving the team.

I've been at the club many years. Firstly as a player and in last few years in my current position. To be honest, Cathkin is something that i've seen more so as a distraction in the past. The talks with council never really went too far and things were stale in that area for a while. A new Chairman came in this year and with that came greater connections in the community. The talks with the council have went further than ever to a point that we were asked to show proof that the funds are there which we obliged. The local elections seem to be causing the delay at the moment but we'll keep pressing.

The cricket addition is a recent addition and contact with the people we have making all these plans have advised us that they have plans to incorporate both.

As I say, I don't know all the answers. My job is simply the Manager of the team but I can say that with the current board, I'm more confident than ever that this will happen.

What I can say is that if we don't get it this time, this story will not run again. We will build the ground somewhere else. We've no divine right to the ground but we couldn't use the name Third Lanark and then not try our hardest to get this ground. With this attempt, theres nothing more we can actually do to get the ground. We've proven the finances are there and we have the backing of the local community.

Theres a lot of people working hard to make it happen but theres only so much we can do.

Thanks for all your support.

Support???

More like geeky old nosey bazzas, moi included.

I was at Cathkin Park on Saturday morning - Hampden AFC had a home game there for the first time since September so I couldn't resist making the pilgrimage. The guy putting up the nets is from the Jimmy Johnstone Academy - it is they who have the (25 year) lease, so use of the park is a sub-let from them rather than direct from the council. It was made clear to me that they're not about to step aside for any Third Lanark takeover of Cathkin Park...

The council told us otherwise about JJA's let.

If that was the case then i'm certain we wouldn't have got this far in talks with the council.

A recent meeting between the clubs did not go well.....

Should everything go right for you guys when do you think the team will be ready, on and off the pitch, to rejoin the pyramid?

Theres no real timeline on that yet. We're playing Amateur football at the minute. To even be considered to get into leagues that allow us to climb towards Lowland etc we need a ground. If it were to be Cathkin, there's a lot of work needs done to bring it in line with the criteria for these leagues.

I'm sure once the ground comes, the board will have a timeline and i'm also sure they'll want it soon.

Archived