Any skids fans on here?

wishyman

Hi folks,

I know it's a blast from the past, but I have in my possession a lovely professionally framed picture and signed playlist from their final gig at the ABC in Glasgow on 5th March 2010.

It was kindly donated by a band member, to a race night held in memory of my son, with all the proceeds going to BRAKE, who are a charity that help families who've lost youngsters on the roads.

I've no wish to sell it, I'd much rather give it away to someone who'd appreciate it and hang it up. I've not done it justice in my description.

If someone does want it send me a PM and maybe you could make a wee donation to said charity.

I'll try and upload an image but I'm gash at such things.

All the best

Wishyman.

As you can see I'm shit at anything fancy. I have taken pics and can send to anyone interested. Pics won't upload coz they're too big or something.

(730x510) are the dimensions. Just smaller than a 32inch tv. Ian Kenny framing, framed it.

Edited by wishyman

First gig I went to as an innocent 14 year old was The Stranglers at Glasgow Apollo and the support act were The Skids. They were on stage as we entered and I was blown away by the whole experience....couldn't beleive actually feeling the music through my internal organs!!

I saw them only once when they played Manchester in the late 70's, there's a thread about them elsewhere on here & I think there's a few who would appreciate such a kind gesture far more, mate.

Grimbo

Thanks man, I will have a look for it.

• 2 years later...
Any takers for the above one off?
Moving house soon so I really need to get this item a good home.

Yes. I've got a wall in the living room where I keep some music stuff, it would really suit it. Funnily enough, I actually know Bruce Watson and his son Jamie. Love the old Scottish bands as well. I'll pm you.

1 hour ago, philpy said:
1 hour ago, wishyman said:
Ok mate, its yours if you wish.

Cheers pal. Will I need to collect it??

You can collect it if you wish mate or I could parcel it up and send it.

I'll need to hustle up some bubble wrap and cardboard to protect it though.

Don't want to damage it after all this time, it still has protective plastic on it so It'll look great on your wall. I'm sure Bruce would verify its authenticity. 

• 1 year later...

Have seen the Skids and Big Country numerous times since 1977 (Skids) and1984 (BC), the last gig being 30 December last year in the Glen Pavilion.  Big Country have become a poor karaoke version of what they were originally and, for me, Bruce Watson is not, and never was, a frontman.  I appreciate the last gig was a "home" night, but that's the last 3 new years (PJs and GP) where they have disappointed big time.  Won't pay to see them again.  The Skids were marginally better that last night.  Won't pay to see them again. 

Maybe its because i was spoiled seeing the original line ups so often, but there are some bands where the key member is irreplaceable.  For me, BC fit that category.  With Jobson, it was all about the visuals rather than the band replicating accurately the original sounds.

Others may disagree, but it is with great reluctance that i admit to having given up on both bands.  I still have the original LPs and some CDs that get big licks now and again, so the original music lives on chez moi.    

11 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Have seen the Skids and Big Country numerous times since 1977 (Skids) and1984 (BC), the last gig being 30 December last year in the Glen Pavilion.  Big Country have become a poor karaoke version of what they were originally and, for me, Bruce Watson is not, and never was, a frontman.  I appreciate the last gig was a "home" night, but that's the last 3 new years (PJs and GP) where they have disappointed big time.  Won't pay to see them again.  The Skids were marginally better that last night.  Won't pay to see them again. 

Maybe its because i was spoiled seeing the original line ups so often, but there are some bands where the key member is irreplaceable.  For me, BC fit that category.  With Jobson, it was all about the visuals rather than the band replicating accurately the original sounds.

Others may disagree, but it is with great reluctance that i admit to having given up on both bands.  I still have the original LPs and some CDs that get big licks now and again, so the original music lives on chez moi.    

Would loved to have seen the Skids back in the day, no real interest in doing so now.

PS Would that have been wee pubs in Dunfermline area you saw them in 1977?