Podcasts

Ludo*1

• 4 weeks later...

Mogul: The Life and Death of Chris Lighty

https://gimletmedia.com/mogul/ 

I've loved listening to this. It covers the rise and fall of a kid from New York who went from street kid to managing multi-million dollar deals and artists to getting scammed by Bernie Madoff. The music and production is great (unmissable if you like hip hop) and if you like true crimes stuff there are some good tales like record offices being machine gunned or fronting down Suge Knight (when Lighty had gone to LA to sign Warren G to New York label Def Jam).

One of the producers is a Scottish guy and he does some decent interviews, really getting folk to open up and have a laugh or tell stories of getting shot (like Fat Joe and Fifty Cent opening up on what led to them being shot). 

ETA - the show sponsors are Bud Light and Sonos - gives you an idea of the money and effort put in. The incidental music is done by one of the guys from De La Soul too. 

Edited by Shandon Par

On 28/06/2017 at 19:56, NotThePars said:

Quite enjoy In Our Time whenever I'm bored. Is very easy going discussion about a range of topics ranging from ageing to Lenin.

It's not always so easy going. I remember Melvyn Bragg heads gone raging at a female historian who claimed the Industrial Revolution happened in Britain because of easy access to coal instead of canny Yorkshiremen tinkering in sheds.

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's not always so easy going. I remember Melvyn Bragg heads gone raging at a female historian who claimed the Industrial Revolution happened in Britain because of easy access to coal instead of canny Yorkshiremen tinkering in sheds.

He does have a habit of telling folk quite bluntly to wrap it if they're rambling as well. I'm going to find this one though. :lol:

58 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Started listening to Andy Goldsteins sports bar and love superscoreboard Derek Johnstone on last night saying he doesn't know why teams hate rangers??! Eh cos they are cheating c***s

Just listened to SSB a few minutes ago. Felt exactly the same way. It's hardly a mystery, Derek.

Mogul: The Life and Death of Chris Lighty
https://gimletmedia.com/mogul/ 
I've loved listening to this. It covers the rise and fall of a kid from New York who went from street kid to managing multi-million dollar deals and artists to getting scammed by Bernie Madoff. The music and production is great (unmissable if you like hip hop) and if you like true crimes stuff there are some good tales like record offices being machine gunned or fronting down Suge Knight (when Lighty had gone to LA to sign Warren G to New York label Def Jam).
One of the producers is a Scottish guy and he does some decent interviews, really getting folk to open up and have a laugh or tell stories of getting shot (like Fat Joe and Fifty Cent opening up on what led to them being shot). 

ETA - the show sponsors are Bud Light and Sonos - gives you an idea of the money and effort put in. The incidental music is done by one of the guys from De La Soul too. 

Loosely related and definitely not as professionally set up is Ear Hustle. Basically folk in American prisons telling stories of their experiences. Found quite surprising and interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to The Blether for the past few weeks.  It's a chatty/candid long form interview show in the mould of WTF, Joe Rogan, RHLSTP etc.  But interviewing lesser known people from the world of Scottish sport.  Worth a listen, and he had Alan Martin, QotS goalie on this weeks show which may be of interest to some.

• 2 months later...