Podcasts

Ludo*1

The secret history of Hollywood is an amazing podcast. The bullets and blood episodes are stunning. They are really long but tell the story of how the warner brothers came to be and also delves into the life of James Cagney.

10 hours ago, harkinsbaldpatch said:

The secret history of Hollywood is an amazing podcast. The bullets and blood episodes are stunning. They are really long but tell the story of how the warner brothers came to be and also delves into the life of James Cagney.

Cheers - big fan of LA noir so that sounds up my street.

Reading the thread on the singer’s death and the chat about depression etc reminded me of this podcast I heard the other day. Frank Bruno on being sectioned and how without structure in his life things fell apart.

link below or look up Bryony Gordon’s Mad World.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/bryony-gordons-mad-world/id1224672811?mt=2&i=1000407017064

Eta: he’s a good laugh and sounds in good form, keeping himself in shape etc.

Edited by Shandon Par

Cheers - big fan of LA noir so that sounds up my street.

It's a 3 parter. For it being a guy who does it himself the production value is brilliant. There's also the Alfred Hitchcock episodes which are good as well and he's currently telling the story of Val Lewton.

On 11/05/2018 at 20:29, Shandon Par said:

Reading the thread on the singer’s death and the chat about depression etc reminded me of this podcast I heard the other day. Frank Bruno on being sectioned and how without structure in his life things fell apart.

link below or look up Bryony Gordon’s Mad World.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/bryony-gordons-mad-world/id1224672811?mt=2&i=1000407017064

Eta: he’s a good laugh and sounds in good form, keeping himself in shape etc.

I saw footage of him doing pad work in the ring with Ricky Hatton last week; he is in phenomenal shape.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I saw footage of him doing pad work in the ring with Ricky Hatton last week; he is in phenomenal shape.

Just watched that. His daily regime of boxing workout, a sauna and a massage is working well. Obscenely good shape for 56 y/o.

Discovered RHLSTP a few weeks ago and then Adam Buxton's podcast earlier this week. Now reading through this thread I've realised I'm way behind the curve on these! Both are superb listening and definitely make the commutes to work more entertaining.

The reducer is two Irish lads looking at some of the shitter elements of football culture.

The sound quality can be poor but it is really good. The latest is a look at Tim Lovejoys book and they also did the Steve Bruce books and a shot at glory earlier in the series.

On 3/3/2018 at 20:16, Dee Man said:

Best Joe Rogan podcasts I've listened to recently are #1070 with Jordan Peterson and #1080 with David Goggins. Both fascinating listening for completely different reasons. I can't be arsed explaining them though - research them yourself you lazy c***s. 

Was rewatching the Goggins one earlier, hardcore motherfucker. The first Peterson one on Rogan (877) was also excellent, Rogan called it his favourite ever episode.

As you like both of those, highly recommend Peterson on Jocko Willink's podcast, he's also a former Navy Seal with a similar hyper-responsibility approach as Goggins. Very dark in places.

Edited by banana

3 minutes ago, banana said:

Was rewatching the Goggins one earlier, hardcore motherfucker. The first Peterson one on Rogan was also excellent.

As you like both of those, highly recommend Peterson on Jocko Willink's podcast, he's also a former Navy Seal with a similar hyper-responsibility approach as Goggins. Very dark in places.

Magic. I'll give that a blast tomorrow. 

Me and my missus have started two podcasts in the last couple of weeks.

The Talk of the Street where we recap last week's Corrie https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-talk-of-the-street-a-coronation-street-podcast/id1384265192?mt=2

Common Language where we investigate the veracity of George Bernard Shaw's (supposed) assertion that the US and the UK are two countries separated by a common language  https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/common-language/id1386586181?mt=2

It's great fun doing this. If you aren't doing a podcast and you think you might like to do one, you absolutely should. If nothing else, it gives me an excuse to talk to my wife for a couple of hours  a week.

On 16/05/2018 at 03:01, Dee Man said:

Magic. I'll give that a blast tomorrow. 

I didn't know what to expect but I didn't expect it to start like that.

For an intelligent guy, why does Peterson keep making biblical references?

Better the Bible references than talking about lobsters and Disney movies.

11 hours ago, Dee Man said:

The very, very short paraphrased version is that he believes the tenets of a religion emerged from human experience over vast periods of time into fundamental truths that helped the individual, family, tribe, society survive and flourish.

Codified, these become a set of lessons learned about the bad that happens to it when the group does X, the good that happens to it when it does Y. Following from that, individuals who acted out these lessons became archetypes of behaviour that subsequently act as a model to either emulate (the good shit) or avoid (the bad shit). In the case of Willink for example, the context is war so the archetype needed is a warrior.

So, being a clinical psychologist his angle referencing the Bible is that these lessons and archetypes are still useful and relevant at the most fundamental level of individual human existence, that they are still applicable, and they still play out in and around each of us. That is, an individual can be made aware of the archetypes they play, the effects, and better archetypes to follow.

He gives a broader and deeper overview on that first Joe Roman interview I mentioned, starting at 2h:02m until near the end...

Edited by banana

13 hours ago, Dee Man said:

giphy.gif

Been listening to a couple of Bloomberg podcasts recently: Benchmark and Odd Lots. The FT's Alphachat has some relatively interesting episodes too.

Cannot recommend Slate's "Slow Burn" enough. It's about Watergate but not just a rehash of "All The President's Men".

On 21/05/2018 at 03:51, MSU said:

Me and my missus have started two podcasts in the last couple of weeks.

The Talk of the Street where we recap last week's Corrie https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-talk-of-the-street-a-coronation-street-podcast/id1384265192?mt=2

Common Language where we investigate the veracity of George Bernard Shaw's (supposed) assertion that the US and the UK are two countries separated by a common language  https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/common-language/id1386586181?mt=2

It's great fun doing this. If you aren't doing a podcast and you think you might like to do one, you absolutely should. If nothing else, it gives me an excuse to talk to my wife for a couple of hours  a week.

Any chance you can post them in a different format, like Soundcloud or Google Play music or something? Last time I had itunes on my laptop it was a real pain so I got rid of it.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Any chance you can post them in a different format, like Soundcloud or Google Play music or something? Last time I had itunes on my laptop it was a real pain so I got rid of it.

Sure, no worries.

Corrie here: https://player.fm/series/the-talk-of-the-street-a-coronation-street-podcast

Common Language here: https://commonlanguage.buzzsprout.com/