Dundee United v Motherwell

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Need an absolutely massive performance from everyone - particularly Cadden, who will have to carry the bulk of our creative threat in Pearson's absence. Formation wise, I'd try and go back to the lopsided 4-4-2 that seemed to click at the tail end of last year.

Ripley

Law-Hall-Mcmanus-Hammell

Cadden -Lasley-Gomis---- Johnson

McDonald - Moult

Agreed. I understand why he was trying to find a way of playing both Ainsworth and Johnson in the same team however that performance yesterday failed to work in any way shape or form and the fact he scrapped it at half time would suggest to me that it'll be put to bed.

I try not to judge players early but based on his cameo vs Thistle and performances vs ICT & Killie Gomis gives me the absolute fear, especially with the players he's got around him. Complacent on the ball and totally static. I suppose we're limited with what we've got but him and Lasley could be the slowest midfield pair going. Daft as it may sound but I would possibly even consider Laing in the centre of the park but equally we just need to get back to as shape we're comfortable with and play players in their actual positions.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

References a film that came out in 1942 :guinness

Yeah, 13 years before I was born. It's a classic, up there with High Noon and Twelve Angry Men.

I'm no film buff but would encourage anyone who has not seen any/all of these all films to do so.

Agreed. I understand why he was trying to find a way of playing both Ainsworth and Johnson in the same team however that performance yesterday failed to work in any way shape or form and the fact he scrapped it at half time would suggest to me that it'll be put to bed.

I try not to judge players early but based on his cameo vs Thistle and performances vs ICT & Killie Gomis gives me the absolute fear, especially with the players he's got around him. Complacent on the ball and totally static. I suppose we're limited with what we've got but him and Lasley could be the slowest midfield pair going. Daft as it may sound but I would possibly even consider Laing in the centre of the park but equally we just need to get back to as shape we're comfortable with and play players in their actual positions.

Not sure I follow

Gomis was not great yesterday but then hardly anyone was bar maybe Ripley

That said he was MOM against ICT in the cup. I thought so as did most Well fans who voted on Steelmen online.

Time will tell if he is a good addition, but harsh to write him off from one decent performance and one poor one

Not sure I follow

Gomis was not great yesterday but then hardly anyone was bar maybe Ripley

That said he was MOM against ICT in the cup. I thought so as did most Well fans who voted on Steelmen online.

Time will tell if he is a good addition, but harsh to write him off from one decent performance and one poor one

Basically I felt both yesterday and against ICT he was getting caught ball watching (a lot) and his propensity for holding on to the ball saw him getting caught in possession a fair bit often in dangerous areas. If he's been brought in to do Grimshaw's job then on the admittedly limited amount I've seen it doesn't look a good fit. Instead of pressing and breaking up play he seems more inclined to hold the ball which isn't necessarily a *bad* thing but in doing so he seems to invite a fair bit of pressure.

For all he was better in the cup than he was yesterday I still felt he was getting picked off quite easily last week. To qualify that, it may well be the case that he's not familiar with those around him and he's taking a second or two longer on the ball but take ICT's winner, for all McGhee complained it was a foul he got caught in possession and while we should have done better the goal stemmed from that. Same yesterday when he was caught with the ball on the edge of the box allowing Obadeyi through on goal and a chance Killie really should have scored from.

By no means am I writing him off but given we'll probably be putting him (along with Lasley) up against Demel and Paton who if nothing else are physical players then it gives me the fear a wee bit.

Lose this and we are down, if we aren't already

I'm astounded to think that there's a single Arab who thinks that we can avoid relegation. To each their own and all that but there's times that you have to take a deep breath and just admit that it is inevitable.

For me it was probably the middle of January when we got beat by Celtic then Kilmarnock won; the slightest flicker of hope I had before then was extinguished.

TBH you will probably feel better when you accept it. It's like the five stages of grief. :lol:

United will win this because, a) they are better than us man for man and b) they have the momentum on their side and will see us as a target knowing that a win here and the gap up is down to nine points with a game on hand.

United will win this because, a) they are better than us man for man and b) they have the momentum on their side and will see us as a target knowing that a win here and the gap up is down to nine points with a game on hand.

I used to look at teams and think "we've surely got a better eleven than them". Then I realised we had a squad full of bottle merchants and that logic didn't apply anymore.

One things for sure, a midweek winter's night game between the two worst side in the league, it's gonna be a pleasure to watch.

I reckon it's going to be up there with last night's game between Barca and Celta Vigo. People will talk about Sean Dillon's forty yard thunderbolt and Guy Demel's bicycle kick for years to come.

While there's no disputing point b, i'm sorry but point a is nonsense. Dundee Utd are unrecognisable from where they were even 18 months ago, and man for man I would say out strongest XI are better.

Our players are in poor form, and seem to be low in confidence. It could only take one win to turn it though, and there's no better chance to get it than against the bottom team in the division.

It'll be interesting to see if McGhee has any further tactical switches up his sleeve, or goes with the best XI available. While the 4-3-3/4-5-1 didn't work in the last two games, I think that's more to do with having McDonald up front, rather than Moult, for example.

I'd get back to having two up top. With Pearson suspended, I'd bring Lasley in, as well as bringing Moult into start in place of Ainsworth. Hopefully Ben Hall has recovered and can take Kennedy's place too.

Ripley

Law

Hall

McManus

Hammell

Cadden

Lasley

Gomis

Johnson

Moult

McDonald

Dundee Utd 0-2 Motherwell

Well that's your opinion but I disagree. The likes of Billy McKay, Blair Spittal, John Rankin, Gavin Gunning even, as well as Dow are all either every bit as good as our best players, or slightly better and all of them would improve our current team. United, like us are low on confidence but I think they've only lost one in five or six now and they thumped Kilmarnock 5-1 last month, the same Kilmarnock who tickled our bellies the other day. We are,getting worse by the week and if/when Dundee Utd beat us tomorrow night, just watch us go into full panic mode.

The same Kilmarnock who tickled our bellies the other day. We are,getting worse by the week and if/when Dundee Utd beat us tomorrow night, just watch us go into full panic mode.

Well no, they still had Gary Locke in charge then, massive differrence.

Archived