Least used railway stations

trainspotter

56 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

There's this new fangled thing called the internet where folk can buy train tickets so I'm guessing that they tallied up the ones that were bought going to and from Barrhill.

HTH ;)

You haven't been to Barrhill, have you?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

People buy tickets on the train from conductors. I didn't think that was a difficult concept to grasp, but here we are.

And, of course, everyone tells the truth about where they boarded.

And, of course, everyone tells the truth about where they boarded.

Given that Barrhill is the only stop for fifty minutes or so between Stranraer and Girvan and the clippy has to deal with just two carriages, pretty much every passenger using Barrhill will be charged for using the service from that station. It's really not complicated to understand.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make with these gormless statements tbh.

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Given that Barrhill is the only stop for fifty minutes or so between Stranraer and Girvan and the clippy has to deal with just two carriages, pretty much every passenger using Barrhill will be charged for using the service from that station. It's really not complicated to understand.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make with these gormless statements tbh.

* this  

8 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Since you ask so nicely: I was doubting that 25 people a day, on average, board a train at Barrhill, and therefore the veracity of that figure of 10150 per year. Not very interesting, I agree.

Since you ask so nicely: I was doubting that 25 people a day, on average, board a train at Barrhill, and therefore the veracity of that figure of 10150 per year. Not very interesting, I agree.

That number is the number who use the station (get on and off). So if you have a return ticket you are counted twice.

2 hours ago, ajwffc said:

That number is the number who use the station (get on and off). So if you have a return ticket you are counted twice.

I'm not saying it's the same for Barrhill, but if I were to get a return into Glasgow from the south side right now, it would be cheaper than a single. Obviously I'd still buy a return even if I had no intention of coming back tonight, which would skew the figures somewhat. 

Not that I'm going to lose much sleep over it. 

Back in the day when I used this service a lot Barrhill was relatively well used. The main benefit of it being that it is in South Ayrshire and hence you were able to buy SPT tickets and hence far cheaper travel to Glasgow. If you lived in Newton Stewart  do you travel 25 miles to Stranraer and get ripped off or do you travel 18 miles to Barrhill and get your travel subsidised?

It's a no brainer.

Also back then it did have a ticket office, although it was a few years ago now so they may have closed it

Was going to say there was a huge difference in price between Stranraer Glasgow and Barhill Glasgow, with barhill being first stop in Strathclyde as it was. I know loads of people that would try and hide from the conductor until they got to Barhill, or "miss" there stop going the other way!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Corrour and Rannoch stations are very remote, but that has the effect of making them tourist attractions- and we enjoyed our cycle to Rannoch Station in the summer where there’s a wee cafe.

Some of the stations on the Kyle line never seem to have anyone get on or off......eg Duncraig

A totally political decision rather than a common sense one. You could increase the amount of trains there to 4tph and you'd still not see any viable increase in the number of passengers.

Its the govt not wanting to look like they are performing a cut to services despite the fact that literally no one uses the station.

Stumbled into this thread and it piqued my interest.

Used to knock about with a bird from Monifieth and walking the dog I would often end up at Barry Links station. A quick google just now and, according to Wikipedia, the station carried a grand total of 68 passengers last year. [emoji23]

Archived