Least used railway stations

trainspotter

I'm utterly shocked Prestwick Airport isn't there. I've been on the train to Ayr at least three times a week for the past 4 months or so and I've seen one person get off and nobody get on.

Scary stuff...sounds like an intro to a horror movie!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dyce isn't in Aberdeen.

It's in Dyce.

"About Dyce

Before oil was discovered in the North Sea, the village of Dyce was just that, a village separate from the city of Aberdeen. It had the distinction of being the site for the local airport but at that time air traffic was light and the facilities very modest. But all that has changed. Dyce is no longer a separate entity but an urban area of Aberdeen City standing on the northwest boundary. However, to its residents it is still known as Dyce village."

I've been going to watch Morton for 20 years now, and in that time I've seen about ten people either get on or off the train at Bogston station.

Bogston was the first place I thought of as well. I think I see about one person a month use it.

Bogston's probably the quietest Greenock station, but it's still fairly well used - it does have people using it every day going to work.

We have nine stations in Greenock itself, plus two in Port Glasgow and one each in Gourock, Inverkip & Wemyss Bay, so we're well served in Inverclyde. Imagine having to travel all the way across a town to get to the one station where you don't even have more than one train an hour, it must be pish.

I believe it takes an act of parliament (or at least gaining authority from the Dept of Transport) to close a railway station in the UK so running one train a week that stops at the stations normally at 0532 on a Tuesday morning or somesuch bizarre time is far easier for the train companies than actually getting the stations closed.

It is easier and cheaper to have as little as one passanger train a week stop at a station or use a section of track than to close it.

Breich as far as I know was/is a request stop where you tell the conductor when you get on that you want off there.

Are the other 2 not used when the open golf is on ?

Not sure :o

Breach is not a request stop it just has 1 train stop each day in each direction.

Apparently, three of the UK's ten quietest stations are in Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35105105

So, have any P&Bers ever got on/off at Breich, Barry Links or Golf Street?

I have used Breich station once to get on a train travel a mile or two on it get off it and then strap down the load on the wagons during engineering works. Also all the passenger uses of Breich is by one person.

I was working in Cambuslang last week right next to a station called Kirkhill of which I had never heard of until the time. That seemed pretty quiet for being relatively close to Glasgow City Centre.

Used to coach a football team that trained in Cathkin High School. About ten minute walk from there - this was before I could drive.

Always seemed relatively busy coming from glasgow central direction

What if you're getting on at one of those stops?

if you are getting on a train at a request stop (Duncraig, Dunrobin Cast, Falls of Cruachan, Invershin, Lochailort, Locheilside, Lochluichart) when you see the train you have to flag the train down like you do if you want to get a bus to stop.

if you are getting on a train at a request stop (Duncraig, Dunrobin Cast, Falls of Cruachan, Invershin, Lochailort, Locheilside, Lochluichart) when you see the train you have to flag the train down like you do if you want to get a bus to stop.

Aye, stand on the line and wave your arms. Gives the driver the best chance of seeing you and stopping.

Archived