Least used railway stations

trainspotter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not buying it, where the heck is Thortonhall?

I get the train past there every day I don't think I've seen more than 3 people get on or off the train in 2 years. The only people using the train will be the house staff.

I'm pretty sure they all have chaffeurs about there.

Apparently, three of the UK's ten quietest stations are in Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35105105

So, have any P&Bers ever got on/off at Breich, Barry Links or Golf Street?

Breich as far as I know was/is a request stop where you tell the conductor when you get on that you want off there.

Are the other 2 not used when the open golf is on ?

Not sure :o

I believe it takes an act of parliament (or at least gaining authority from the Dept of Transport) to close a railway station in the UK so running one train a week that stops at the stations normally at 0532 on a Tuesday morning or somesuch bizarre time is far easier for the train companies than actually getting the stations closed.

Barry Street & Golf Links are 2 of the three stations in Carnoustie.

Paisley has 3

Ardrossan has 3

Greenock has a few

Ayr has 2

And places like Aberdeen and Inverness have one each.

Any wonder the network can't be used properly.

I was working in Cambuslang last week right next to a station called Kirkhill of which I had never heard of until the time. That seemed pretty quiet for being relatively close to Glasgow City Centre.

Paisley has 3

Ardrossan has 3

Greenock has a few

Ayr has 2

Paisley has 4:

Gilmour Street

Canal Street

St James

Hawkhead

Regardless, 4 is too much for Paisley.

I was working in Cambuslang last week right next to a station called Kirkhill of which I had never heard of until the time. That seemed pretty quiet for being relatively close to Glasgow City Centre.

It's only in the middle of the 'largest village in Scotland', although it is near the wealthy bit so probably not as used as it could be!! :thumsup2

I'm sure it still gets plenty of use though.

Personally, I've used Kirkhill loads of times, last train on a Friday night used to be interesting, fire extinguisher anyone? :lol:

Then your wee walk through the public park, now that was scarier than any Dungeon/Alien War tour with real live DANGER!

Paisley has 3

Ardrossan has 3

Greenock has a few

Ayr has 2

Greenock has nine train stations, which is only appropriate as the bustling metropolis of Inverclyde, the Export Capital of Scotland, and is AFAIK only surpased by Glasgow. It also means that jumping on the next train counts as free transport to anywhere else on the Clyde Riviera, as the clippy normally sits in his cabin anyway.

I thought Altnabreac would have been in there, I sure a couple of years back they had 12 passengers in a year.

Tyndrum has two stations, I think it's the smallest town to have two stations (Not sure if that's Scotland or UK)

Tyndrum has one station. The other station is about 3,000 feet up a hill near Tyndrum!

I'm utterly shocked Prestwick Airport isn't there. I've been on the train to Ayr at least three times a week for the past 4 months or so and I've seen one person get off and nobody get on.

I'd imagine it'd be fairly busy, given I've used it twice and I'm from nowhere near Prestwick. Quite handy for the airport, you see.

I'm utterly shocked Prestwick Airport isn't there. I've been on the train to Ayr at least three times a week for the past 4 months or so and I've seen one person get off and nobody get on.

I read somewhere else it has one of the largest decreases in passenger use this year. Can't remember the exact figures though.

This sort of shit interests me for some reason. You've got Falls of Cruachan on the Oban line that you need to request that the train stops there.

I lived in Cumbernauld for 17 years and never used either Cumbernauld or Greenfaulds station. They seem pretty pointless with Croy serving the majority of Cumbernauld. There was a campaign a few years back to get a 3rd station built in the Abronhill area of Cumbernauld. Mental.

Paisley has 3

Ardrossan has 3

Greenock has a few

Ayr has 2

Aberdeen has two... main one plus one at Dyce

Scary stuff...sounds like an intro to a horror movie!

Archived