Driving

P45

Live in the Burgh so very rarely scoot about in a car. Went back to the Kingdom to visit the parents and driving in the passenger seat of my mum's car ( BMW ) was frightening.

"Look I just don't do driving in the dark OK!!!" As we travelled at 25 along a country road for half an hour.

Got a lift from my stepmother a few months ago and there were a couple of genuinely dangerous moments and she's been driving for about 30 years. Always tell my girlfriend you can spot when an old dear is behind the wheel well before you overtake them, always guaranteed to send her mental.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who do 50 in the fast lane of a dual carriageway and don't move over. Middle lane hogs. People on their phones, women who put on make up as they drive and cyclists who filter (yes I know it's legal but it's irritating). Motorcyclists who ride like maniacs. Taxi drivers who think they don't need to indicate, or that even when they do it gives them carte Blanche to pull out.

If only you could do something about it. ;-)

People who do 50 in the fast lane of a dual carriageway and don't move over. Middle lane hogs. People on their phones, women who put on make up as they drive and cyclists who filter (yes I know it's legal but it's irritating). Motorcyclists who ride like maniacs. Taxi drivers who think they don't need to indicate, or that even when they do it gives them carte Blanche to pull out.

The car owners in Northern Ireland are being short changed - very few of them appear to have been sold cars with indicators.

Those that have seem to think they're rightofwaycators.

The car owners in Northern Ireland are being short changed - very few of them appear to have been sold cars with indicators.

That's right.

And those who use their indicators would argue that : "They have made a legitimate request"

I remember when Cardinal Richelieu had just learned to drive, he was driving me one evening from Edinburgh to God's Country down the Calders road through Briech etc. It was quite foggy, so rather than drive like a normal person, he went at approximately 20mph driving right up the middle of the road. I am not exaggerating when I say that for a fair part of the journey he was crying like a pussy.

The section of sir harry lauder road leading onto seafield road in edinburgh can be a pain. You have two lanes merging into one, and you always get idiots who whizz past and try to nip in front of you. Whats the hurry?? I always put the foot down if I see someone in my mirror trying to squeeze in. Impatient fuckers.

The section of sir harry lauder road leading onto seafield road in edinburgh can be a pain. You have two lanes merging into one, and you always get idiots who whizz past and try to nip in front of you. Whats the hurry?? I always put the foot down if I see someone in my mirror trying to squeeze in. Impatient fuckers.

I don't drive that way anymore I go through Craigentinny and Lochend. The right lane approaching the lights was always the best way to go.

For a lot of empty roads, there seems to be a high incident of car crashes in NI.

For a lot of empty roads, there seems to be a high incident of car crashes in NI.

We seem to have a lot of fatalities, not so sure about crashes https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjq5djW9OLJAhXLDxoKHTJbDYoQFggnMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fnorthern-ireland%2Fnorthern-ireland-road-death-toll-creeps-up-to-54-after-two-more-crashes-31556687.html&usg=AFQjCNEqfZqec5jF2TdvDbPztJiwDAnrGg&sig2=rT2qWXYqTCZBquCx5IYcsA

I'm always amazed at the amount of traffic on the roads, no matter the time of day. 7 - 9 and 5 - 7 I can understand, rush hour/schools etc, but at any other time of the day I can't fathom where everybody is going and to what purpose.

Some crashes do just involve one car, so I suppose the road could be described as "empty".

Live in the Burgh so very rarely scoot about in a car. Went back to the Kingdom to visit the parents and driving in the passenger seat of my mum's car ( BMW ) was frightening.

"Look I just don't do driving in the dark OK!!!" As we travelled at 25 along a country road for half an hour.

Nae wonder !

We seem to have a lot of fatalities, not so sure about crashes https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjq5djW9OLJAhXLDxoKHTJbDYoQFggnMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fnorthern-ireland%2Fnorthern-ireland-road-death-toll-creeps-up-to-54-after-two-more-crashes-31556687.html&usg=AFQjCNEqfZqec5jF2TdvDbPztJiwDAnrGg&sig2=rT2qWXYqTCZBquCx5IYcsA

I'm always amazed at the amount of traffic on the roads, no matter the time of day. 7 - 9 and 5 - 7 I can understand, rush hour/schools etc, but at any other time of the day I can't fathom where everybody is going and to what purpose.

Some crashes do just involve one car, so I suppose the road could be described as "empty".

Scariest i heard of was the missing son coming home from Queens.

Friday night, Saturday cops are involved, into Sunday nothing.

No sign of his car.

The father goes over the route.

Where the motorway ends and become a country road just before Toome.

The wee car has went through a hedge into a field.

And the young fella had been dead for four days beside one of the busiest roads in NI.

Scariest i heard of was the missing son coming home from Queens.

Friday night, Saturday cops are involved, into Sunday nothing.

No sign of his car.

The father goes over the route.

Where the motorway ends and become a country road just before Toome.

The wee car has went through a hedge into a field.

And the young fella had been dead for four days beside one of the busiest roads in NI.

That's the A6, I'd hardly call it a "country road", it's the main road from Belfast to Londonderry.

Shocking all the same, although I can't recall that particular tragedy, but with a death on the roads every week, it's hard to keep track.

The link I posted about road deaths mentions a crash on the Tobermore-Magherafelt road, a family member was killed on that road (in a single car crash) three years ago this month, that one sticks in my head.

That's the A6, I'd hardly call it a "country road", it's the main road from Belfast to Londonderry.

Shocking all the same, although I can't recall that particular tragedy, but with a death on the roads every week, it's hard to keep track.

The link I posted about road deaths mentions a crash on the Tobermore-Magherafelt road, a family member was killed on that road (in a single car crash) three years ago this month, that one sticks in my head.

Do you think it's the roads or are people just driving too fast?

Do you think it's the roads or are people just driving too fast?

People get used to a road, particularly if they are on it every day - as most commuters/school runners are - and get careless, imo.

I don't think you can blame the roads, per se, generally speaking when aroad is "improved" speed increases, due to it being perceived as "safer".

There is no doubt some people do drive too fast for the road conditions, and if you're on an unfamiliar road, the consequences can be fatal.

There was a horrendous accident at the bottom of our road the other month, a car was in the right hand turning lane when a stranger, coming off a bit of two lane carriageway pulled out to overtake, not realising he was now back to a one lane in two directions system.

One dead, two seriously injured and an unborn baby killed.

Because on a narrow road with oncoming traffic you can end up held behind them at pedal pace for ages, eventually get past them and find yourself repeating the same cycle every traffic light.

So you're on a bike too, shouldn't be that hard to overtake.

Archived