League reconstruction: Let's hear your view

On 09/06/2022 at 14:05, Stag Nation said:

AFAIK the SFA haven't proposed changes to the LL, but are setting up "pyramid working group discussions aimed at providing a longer-term solution to optimise the structure and aid the transition of talented players between the ages of 17 and 21."

Those discussions may indeed lead to changes, or they may fizzle out.

Anyway, it's hard to imagine them coming up with anything worse than your proposal, but you never know.

BTW who are the 8 "elite" clubs?

Ohh, they've probably managed it! 😂

They are absolutely determined to shoehorn B teams in. Said at the time getting them in and in the process ruining a good competition that was the ‘Diddy cup’ was thin edge of the wedge, then of course LL took the silver and that was it.

Never attended a match involving my team and a B team and never will. If this goes through there should be a mass boycott of any game they are involved in.

I’m quite in favour of having colts teams in a new 6th tier, but with conditions attached. My first condition would be that the clubs should need to provide evidence that these youths will get an opportunity to play in their club's first eleven. Two of the clubs involved have not given a single minute of football to any their academy recruits this season, yet they’re campaigning for a new division to help develop said youngsters. Some of these players have been at their parent clubs since childhood, yet as soon as they look ready to step up a ready made foreign player is recruited at a considerable cost to the club. For this reason talents like Ben Doak and Billy Gilmour have been developed for years then allowed to slip through the net to English clubs for a minute fraction of the cost expended to recruit those “ready made” players. Have the people who are willing to fund this new division taken the time to ask the managers of their clubs if they will be given a fair opportunity to play for the first team? Or will a “ready made” foreign player always be their preference? If not then it’s a monumental contradiction to declare that they need a fifth tier to develop their academy graduates.

• 11 months later...

Two possibilities that I like at the moment.

A.

Three divisions of 14.

Teams play home and away before each division splits after 26 games into a top 8 / bottom 6.

Bottom 6 play home and away (so 10 post split games, 36 in total) with 13th, 14th relegated and 12th into play offs with 3rd, 4th, 5th from division below.

Top 8 play home or away (so 7 more games), then a second split at 33 games into 1st-4th who play one another for a fourth time, and likewise for 5th-8th.  36 games each.

That way 1-4 automatically qualify for Europe and attempt to win the league, and 5-8 effectively play off for the final European place as 1-4 are likely to win the Scottish Cup. 

For the Championship and League One, the top 2 are automatically promoted, 3-5 go into play offs with 12th from above (so the teams in the 5th-8th group have meaningful fixtures when aiming for the last promotion play off place).

Not sure how many would be relegated from League One / promoted from Highland and Lowland leagues.

B.

Top division of 16.

Playing home and away before a split at 30 games into top 8, bottom 8.

Then play home or away, for a 37 game season.

The fourth Old Firm game would come in a summer weekend, as part of a master's tournament (to be held on weekends, about the same time as the league cup) between our European qualifiers that would also help them find form and progress in Europe.

I just don't get why, as Scottish football fans, we seem to want to over complicate our leagues.  Surely the way forward is to just keep them simple?

3 Leagues:

Premier: 16 Teams (Teams play 1x home and 1x away)
Championship: 12 Teams (Teams play 2x home and 2x away)
First: 12 Teams

1x Automatic promotion and relegation
(This is where I complicate it....) 
Playoffs: Second bottom play 3rd top Home & Away
Third bottom play 2nd top Home and away
Playoff final: Held at Hampden on the last Sunday of the season 12:00pm kick off for the First - Championship game. 5:00pm kick off for the championship - premier game

To compensate for the fewer games in the Premier I would like to see a knock-out tournament run mid season purely for Premier teams. I feel this would provide more entertainment and be easier to sell to fans and broadcasters rather than doubling-up league games.

In terms of other elements of reconstruction:
1. Every team must have an academy (structure to be decided)
2. After 4 seasons every team must have a minimum of 1 academy graduate on the team sheet
3. Every team must distribute key financials to supporters each year

Edited by chris1883