Well V Cove Rangers

Crilly

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By all accounts, from that photo and the club's Twitter, the ground staff have put in a fantastic effort and a power of work to get the park clear for this one. Well done to them all.

Here's to a good old January cup tie!.... With us winning comfortably.

Yes the groundstaff did a fantastic job. In hindsight game wasn't in doubt and the pitch is bearing up well. The game was over after the 10th minute and we just motored thereafter, with the second half being an understandable anti climax. Mark McGhee's team selection was spot and we were efficient and clinical. Credit to Cove for never giving up and keeping it clean. Their travelling support deserved a good day out.

Yes the groundstaff did a fantastic job. In hindsight game wasn't in doubt and the pitch is bearing up well. The game was over after the 10th minute and we just motored thereafter, with the second half being an understandable anti climax. Mark McGhee's team selection was spot and we were efficient and clinical. Credit to Cove for never giving up and keeping it clean. Their travelling support deserved a good day out.

Interesting seeing all the pitches on Sportscene - don't think I saw a better one....

Full strength team and no messing about from McGhee today, had the game won by five past three. Never got out of second gear and could/should have won by double figures if we hadn't turned the 2nd half into a testimonial for Faddy.

Fair play to Cove Rangers, expected them to park the bus and try and boot us off the park but they never resorted to those tactics. Had a go when they could and could have had a couple of goals on another day. The number nine up front in particular looked a good wee player and I wouldn't have begrudged him that goal at the end for the shift he put in.

We absolutely strolled this though, a thoroughly professional performance in the first half got the job done. Thought the experienced spine of McManus, Lasley, Pearson and McDonald were the pick of the bunch. Marv was superb for the time he was on apart from that chance he fluffed in the 2nd half. Was slightly underwhelmed with the performances of Thomas and Ainsworth coming off the bench though. Is it just me or do we always seem to lose our shape under McGhee once we make a sub?

Anyway job done and in the 5th round for the first time in four years, that'll do.

Cliché bingo.

He still had the odd moment of genius in that game I counted at least three nutmegs, a couple of good dribbles and if his team mates had shot he'd have had a couple of assists. Unfortunately he's too slow to be effective at our level I think. Anyway he can do no wrong in my eyes.

"Anyway he can do no wrong in my eyes"....and that's the problem at a number of our supporters have, as when he is involved then it becomes all about him rather than what is best for the team. Sadly his teammates yesterday decided to go down that same route once he came on.

James McFadden has never, ever been a team player and that's what held him back down at Everton, but in his younger days he was capable of producing terrific pieces of skill combined with just enough pace to outfox opponents. Nowadays though his legs have gone and he is no longer able to beat opponents one on one, but sadly he hasn't adapted his game to become that team player that he never was and for that reason he is of no use to us anymore. It doesn't help of course that so many at the club still have a hard on for him and hold this romanticised idea of him as this 19 year old wonderkid with a red stripe in his hair, but for those of us who aren't stuck in 2002/2003 then all there is to be seen is a once good player living on a distant and past reputation who should bow out ASAP.

I don't always agree with MJC, but with regards to McFadden, he is bang on the fucking money.

The last 30 minutes yesterday was a bit embarrassing in a way. It all became the McFadden show, rather than a Motherwell game.

In saying that, I can't see him featuring again before the end of the month, so I doubt we'll have this issue again.

I can't see him featuring again before the end of the month, so I doubt we'll have this issue again.

And nor should he because he has nothing to offer anymore. That much was clear in his previous spell and was further emphasised when he was freed by St.Johnstone last season after an ineffective spell and yesterday was, frankly, embarrassing for him and for those Motherwell fans with their eyes open and who aren't 'Faddy 1st...Motherwell 2nd', continued flogging of this particular dead horse will do nothing other than tarnish his previous legacy for us. He was and indeed still is the most exciting, talented player I've ever seen us produce and was the brightest spark in a very dark time for the club, not to mention getting the club a healthy fee when he was sold to Everton, something which went a long way to us surviving. For all that, I'll be forever grateful to him and have fond memories of his first spell here, but to watch him out there yesterday was painful.

He has a lot to offer in terms of passing on his experience to the younger guys in training which is why he is there, he has been coaching the under 15s this season and all the young players idolise him and listen to him because he has played at the highest level in his career. He was a given a playing contract till the end of January most likely for sentimental reasons but having him in coaching is a positive influence and one which is good to have. That said we have 2 games left in January in which he will be part of the squad before he heads off to America with his family to play in the MLS.

Willie Pettigrew, Tommy Coyne and Brian Martin probably have a lot to offer in terms of passing on experience to younger players in training but none of them are registered as full time players and getting competitive game time for the first team, because as good as they once were for us, they are all past it. McFadden is no different and it is pointless having him registered as a full time player now, never mind allowing him on for 30 minute cameos with the rest of the team trying to get him a goal.

The sooner he heads off to the MLS for his semi retirement the better.

Well you will be delighted when the end of January comes and you get your wish and he heads off to America, out of the current squad as well we have Lasley, McManus coaching the under 17s and Stevie Hammell is also coaching one of the age groups, this is to give them experience of coaching for when they hang up their boots. Some good young talent coming through and we will start seeing them integrated into the team towards the end of this season and more so into next season.

Well at least in the cases of Lasley and Hammell they are still able to contribute to the first team, unlike McFadden. I don't and never would have any issue with him being there in a coaching capacity if that's what his role in the club was, but it's not is it? He is registered and being paid as a full time player, basically because of who he is and what he's done in the past and because he has a huge army of fanboys within the Motherwell support, regardless of what he does or doesn't contribute on the park nowadays.

As I've said before, I like James McFadden and he will always be one of my favourite Motherwell players for his spell with us when he was a youngster, but that's all in the past and as we saw for the majority of his second spell here a couple of years back, he isn't going to be rolling back the years to get his old magic back. It's gone, and it really would be best for everyone, Faddy included, if he never played for Motherwell FC again as some things are best left to memories.

I understand your reasons MJC but I was also made aware that McFadden isn't earning wage, I was told he was only being paid in travel expenses by the Well Society, before the club can bring in any new players then a few need to be shipped out to free up wages, I think when we look at McGhee's squad selections in recent weeks there is a good 4 or 5 that are out the picture and will be sent packing this month if possible or in the summer when their contracts expire.

I didn't know that but if it's true and the Well Society are paying his expenses then I find that staggering and worrying, especially as that's the same group that's aiming to buy the club one day and we're forever being told are struggling to reach their target, yet they are forking out to keep a player at the club who we do not need!? Jesus suffering f&ck.

The Well Society will never ever fully own the club for 2 very simple reasons, one there isn’t enough supporters out there to invest to make it work and 2 the club is already below the target they want to be at this point in time, I know this as being a shareholder I go to the AGM. They want to copy the Hearts model. They got 8000 fans to invest £16 a month over a 12 month period whereas we could get only 600 pledge £12 a month during the same period. That says it all right there.

No one is "ripping the club apart", I and one other as far as I can see are questioning why a player living on past glories is able to get on the park for us in a competitive game and, more so, why this particular player is still placed on such a pedestal by the support when it is clear he has nothing to offer anymore. I am of course pleased that we won yesterday despite quite a poor performance - in my opinion - and I think McFadden's 30 minute cameo where the rest of the team tried to go out their way to get him on the scoresheet instead of pushing for more goals as they should have done, is very much a talking point from the game.

No one is "ripping the club apart", I and one other as far as I can see are questioning why a player living on past glories is able to get on the park for us in a competitive game and, more so, why this particular player is still placed on such a pedestal by the support when it is clear he has nothing to offer anymore. I am of course pleased that we won yesterday despite quite a poor performance - in my opinion - and I think McFadden's 30 minute cameo where the rest of the team tried to go out their way to get him on the scoresheet instead of pushing for more goals as they should have done, is very much a talking point from the game.

Game over before half time.

If only we could be 'poor' in every game.

Archived