Well V Cove Rangers

Crilly

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think it's a financial decision. Believe it's based on Robinson being dreadful.

He's not so bad, that his inclusion in a team would deter me from attending (joke or not). In my book he just hasn't done very much and I've seen far worse players than him in my time at Fir Park.

After the utter bombscares in the cups recently, I hope McGhee doesn't tinker with the team at all - play our strongest 11, treat it like a league game and just get through in reasonably comfortable style. The cup is the only real way to elevate this season, so we should be taking seriously.

Love a game against a "new" team, so really looking forward to it....

Given how the club have been banging on about the importance of a cup run I'd be surprised if McGhee made too many changes, especially to the spine of the side. At the same time I'd like to see some of the younger guys get a decent run out.

Something along the lines of this would be fine with me;

Ripley

Watt - Hall - McManus - Hammell

Cadden - Lasley - Pearson

Thomas

Moult - McDonald

Subs: Fletcher, Samson, Laing, Ainsworth, McFadden, Kennedy, Johnson

Would have given Lasley a rest but given he's now suspended for the game against Hearts next week we might as well use him here. Especially since we don't have a great deal of options in there anyway with Grimshaw's loan finished just now and Jack Leitch seemingly well out of the picture. Maybe worth giving Cadden a start here given we might need him at Tynecastle the following week?

Wouldn't necessarily make wholesale changes but would probably give Ainsworth a start and would like to see the likes of Watt, Cadden and Thomas get some proper game time either from the start or off the bench. Would be nice to see Faddy get one final run out at Fir Park as well.
Noticed that this lot have lost their last two games to Fraserburgh and Inverurie Locos, shipping 4 goals in each match. If we can't win this we might as well just withdraw from all future cup competitions to save ourselves the embarrassment.

Would have given Lasley a rest but given he's now suspended for the game against Hearts next week we might as well use him here. Especially since we don't have a great deal of options in there anyway with Grimshaw's loan finished just now and Jack Leitch seemingly well out of the picture. Maybe worth giving Cadden a start here given we might need him at Tynecastle the following week?

Wouldn't necessarily make wholesale changes but would probably give Ainsworth a start and would like to see the likes of Watt, Cadden and Thomas get some proper game time either from the start or off the bench. Would be nice to see Faddy get one final run out at Fir Park as well.

I'm a bit loathe to read too much into what McGhee says pre/post games as he can be quite prone to hyperbole or just saying stuff to suit a narrative. However after the shambles at Ross County he was saying that he couldn't play the shape/system he wanted because Lasley wasn't available. That may well have been to pass off the absolute hounding we got in that game however if he's *that* key I'd want him to play. I'd also feel a lot more comfortable starting someone like Cadden with Lasley and Pearson playing alongside him in the 3.

As I said I'd be surprised if we changed the spine of the team at all Hall seems to be a first pick at the moment and given we've seen the likes of Watt, Cadden and Thomas on the bench of late as long as we don't go mental with changes they could (probably should, given the supposed plan for fast tracking the u20s) be integrated into a pretty solid XI.

Motherwell -2 is 21/20.

Over 1.5 goals in both halves is 9/4.

Both with Stan James. Fill your boots!

I've done the same... with a slight feeling of guilt since I know a fair few of the Cove team. Having seen both teams play this season, if Motherwell put out a fairly strong team it'll be a very comfortable win by 3+ goals.

If we approach this tie properly with regards to preparation, attitude and team selection then we will win this comfortably. That said, exactly the same could have been said before our 4th Round tie against Albion Rovers two years back and look how that turned out. However that was then and McCall the serial bottle merchant has gone so there is no excuse whatsoever for us here. Quite simply, if we are not in the 5th Round draw come Monday, on our own, not even as 'Motherwell or Cove Rangers' but 'Motherwell' alone then we should withdraw from domestic cup football forever as we wouldn't deserve to even enter cup competition. There are simply no excuses whatsoever for us not to win on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure the PATG will be available, on the day. I think the tickets only went on sale because of the free concession ticket offer they were doing.

As others have alluded to, I'd be picking a strong XI for this one. If we're fortunate enough to be a couple of goals up with half an hour to go, then that's the time to bring on a youngster or perhaps even Faddy.

I think we might see Samson get a run out in goals, and also, we may revert back to a traditional 4-4-2 with two wingers. My starting XI would be;

----------- Samson -----------------

Law Hall McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Lasley Pearson Johnson

-------- Moult McDonald ----------

As others have alluded to, I'd be picking a strong XI for this one. If we're fortunate enough to be a couple of goals up with half an hour to go, then that's the time to bring on a youngster or perhaps even Faddy.

I think we might see Samson get a run out in goals, and also, we may revert back to a traditional 4-4-2 with two wingers. My starting XI would be;

----------- Samson -----------------

Law Hall McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Lasley Pearson Johnson

-------- Moult McDonald ----------

I'd be surprised if we made a change with the goalkeeper just for continuity more than anything. Given there's been zero word on Grimshaw I'd be fine with that outfield 10 though. Ideally switching Law for Watt and Johnson for Thomas in 2nd half.

I'm just thinking, surely Samson will get a go at some stage? Otherwise, it becomes even more of a baffling signing.

I think we all know, barring injury, Connor Ripley will be first choice for the rest of the season. Saturday should (emphasis on should!) be a quiet day at the back, so thinking it at least gives him a runout.

In saying that, it won't be the worst thing in the world if Craig Samson leaves Fir Park in the summer without making an appearence...

One thing that I would say about Samson that made more sense to me after Faddy signed was he was playing for the u20s vs Dundee u20s last month and he was great, not in an actual performance sense but in terms of experience.

It was a relatively empty Excelsior so you could hear pretty much everything. He never shut up, telling his back 4 where they should be, shouting at his full backs etc etc. With all the chat about developing the youth then while it still seems weird there's a certain value in him being there in that respect that I'm guessing Dan Twardzik doesn't give. Similarly it was notable to hear Ripley talking about him in his recent interview as well.

Archived