New Forth Road Bridge - Open/Closed still shit

D.A.F.C

23 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

I didn't know that there old bridge was only going to be open to public transport. Stupid decision IMO.

So, we've two bridges to share the traffic. I know, lets force most of it to use only one of them. That'll solve all the congestion :lol:

There's probably more to the decision than that but FFS!!!

It's a mad idea. The old bridge had to be replaced as it was fucked. Once the new one was commissioned they worked out what was wrong with that design of bridge and how to fix it so now its fine. People choosing which bridge to use would probably have eased the jams completely. New bridge would be mainly trucks and folk heading west. Old bridge would be mainly commuters. 

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I had assumed that the road on the Edinburgh side would be a new connection directly on to the M9, or, even better, the M8.  Surely all it will do is move the congestion further down the system. 

That's exactly what they should have done.

M90 straight off the bridge to join the M9 near Winchburgh (it's all farmland), with the road they actually built being used to access Edinburgh only. 

In fact, do as you suggest and extend all the way to the M8.

I bet you this will be on the table within the next 10 years as the next major improvement project, a la M8/M73/M74.

Left Corstorphine at about 1.40pm and went over to Kirkaldy to collect some things. Was over there about 30 mins and got back in Edinburgh at about 3.45pm. Was in a queue of traffic on each side of the bridge but they kept moving all the time so the trip was not really much of a problem. The new bridge is magnificent, it is as smooth as a billiard table compared to the old one. None of that constant thump, thump, thump as you cross the different sections.

Would use again.

I had completely forgotten that I have to go to Edinburgh on Saturday or Sunday.  I hope that any problems have disappeared by then.  I'm not bothered which bridge I have to go over.

New one is shut fri-sun for the people to walk across it, so the old one will be open.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I had completely forgotten that I have to go to Edinburgh on Saturday or Sunday.  I hope that any problems have disappeared by then.  I'm not bothered which bridge I have to go over.

2 hours ago, buchan30 said:

New one is shut fri-sun for the people to walk across it, so the old one will be open.

All the weekend daytrippers will be clogging up the old bridge to drive it one last time :lol:

5 hours ago, The Master said:

That's exactly what they should have done.

M90 straight off the bridge to join the M9 near Winchburgh (it's all farmland), with the road they actually built being used to access Edinburgh only. 

In fact, do as you suggest and extend all the way to the M8.

I bet you this will be on the table within the next 10 years as the next major improvement project, a la M8/M73/M74.

One step at a time I suppose. The top priority was to replace a bridge that was on course to fall into the Firth...

23 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

One step at a time I suppose. The top priority was to replace a bridge that was on course to fall into the Firth...

That's a tad extreme, but yes the bridge itself was the priority.

However, they had to connect the bridge to the existing road network somehow. Would going to the M9 really have been significantly more expensive/time consuming than the connection to the A90 they did build? The potential route is basically flat farmland. 

Then the M8 link could come later.

Just want to second the fact that anyone who went across the bridge on opening day purely to say they have, is beyond OFTW and should be subjected to the Gary Mackay-Steven - Firth edition - treatment.