Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

I want to learn the electric guitar, both my dad and brother can play so I feel like I'm letting the clan down.

Was looking on amazon at starter packs, looking to spend maybe £100-150 to get me going.

What make would you guys recommend?

I got one of these for Christmas last year: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunburst-Complete-Electric-Guitar-Package/dp/B002PCRZNQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1449929283&sr=1-10&keywords=electric+guitar

Thought it best to get a relatively cheap set as if I chucked it after six months it wouldn't be as bad as if I'd spent a bit more - and if I kept it up then I hadn't spend too much so could buy something a bit fancier. Not had any problems with it, although rarely have the amp plugged in. Everyone else on this thread knows far more than me but thought I'd share that was I was a complete novice. I think it's a copy/knock off of a Fender.

I'm not going to say it's easy to learn guitar - it's not - but it wasn't as hard as I expected it to be and would encourage anyone thinking about trying it to give it a go. The beginners' course on www.andyguitar.co.uk is really good and www.justinguitar.com is decent too.

2 guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Jr

Gordon Smith Gypsy II

2 amps:

Fender Hot Rod Deville

Egnater Tweaker 40 with Orange 1x12 cab

Pedals galore:

EHX Glove OD

EHX Soul Food

EHX Clone Theory

EHX Holy Grail

Tronographic Boxidizer

ZVEX Distortron

ZVEX Super Duper 2 in 1

Catalinbread Karma Suture

Digitech Whammy V

Hotone Tremolo

Hotone Komp Compressor

TC Electronic Ditto x2 Looper

MXR Distortion +

MXR 6 bar EQ pedal

Kinsman Analogue Delay

Too much stuff.

I've got a fair amount of guitar-related hings an' that. Here's my guitars:

Fender CD-10 acoustic - my first guitar that I got 12 years ago and that I still use

Fender Villager XII - my main guitar for my work and for playing solo, absolutely love it to bits. Goes through Martin .11's like a bitch but I'm used to restringing it now

Fender Mexican Strat - my first electric. Don't use it as much as I'd like to, other than the bridge not staying in tune as much as I'd like it's a smashing guitar.

Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster - got this in April, really like it. Very trebley in the bridge pickup but smashing value for the money.

Epiphone Dot - had this for the best part of a decade, my main electric guitar for band work. Very versatile.

I had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard up until last week when I sold it to fund a Danelectro 12-string. The LP was a decent guitar for the money but I never played it and wanted it to go to someone who'd love it as much as I thought I would when I bought it. I'll maybe buy a Gibson LP Custom in the distant future, but it would probably have to be a Gibson rather than an Epiphone.

In the house I use a wee Marshall MG15DFX practice amp, got it with the Strat and it's done me well over the years. When I'm gigging I use a Fender Princeton 65 digital amp, got it off my mate back in January and it's been smashing so far. Eventually I'll upgrade to a Fender valve amp, probably a Twin Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb.

I use a Line6 FloorPod Plus, coupled with a TC Electronic MojoMojo overdrive pedal, sometimes with an Electro-Harmonix freeze pedal and a TC looper that I use to muck around with ideas. Over the next couple of years I'll look to ditch the multi-fx unit and build a proper pedalboard setup. I'd also upgrade the OD pedal to something like an EH East River Drive, used one in the studio last month and it was mintet.

Got a Jackson Dinky JS22 played through a Crate GT212 amp along with a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal (don't let the name fool you, it's a beast of a pedal). Pretty happy with my set up for what I like to play (metal). String wise I use Ernie Ball power slinky (11's) and a use a Jazz III pick, great for quick shredding. Also have a Maverick Species 2 guitar but rarely play it.

Daddario gauge 9s for me. Had gauge 11s on my strat for ages then switched to nines, no going back now.

Also, the squire classic vibe teles are shit hot. For anyone looking for a great guitar to start out with (it's a fantastic guitar for advanced players too btw) then I would strongly suggest getting one of these. They may appear more pricey than traditional beginner guitars but for about 350 quid they are amazing, genuinely play better than a lot of American teles and they piss all over the Mexican made ones.

Anyone done much with open tunings? I've done some slide stuff in open D (drop D and the G string down to F#) and Keef type riffs in open G but just tried open A for the first time earlier tonight. Trying to learn Answering Machine by the Replacements. Love the tune but it's a b*****d working out the fingerings *insert pun here* in an unfamiliar tuning.

Getting more into odd tunings lately though. Quite good for coming up with interesting riffs and little melodies that you maybe wouldn't even think of when in standard.

Anyone done much with open tunings? I've done some slide stuff in open D (drop D and the G string down to F#) and Keef type riffs in open G but just tried open A for the first time earlier tonight. Trying to learn Answering Machine by the Replacements. Love the tune but it's a b*****d working out the fingerings *insert pun here* in an unfamiliar tuning.

Getting more into odd tunings lately though. Quite good for coming up with interesting riffs and little melodies that you maybe wouldn't even think of when in standard.

Just on the acoustic: Mostly DADGAD which is great for Celtic music and getting a " drone " sound.

Also some C and G tunings