Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

Fender Japan 51 Precision Bass

Fender Mexican Jazz Bass

Hofner 500/1 bass

Fender Mexico Telecaster

Eden 600w bass amp

I'm one of the clichéd failed guitarists turned bassist; I've been strictly bass for around 8 years now, and I'm still no expert! I still gig fairly regularly with a Scottish Traditional/ceilidh band, however the gigs I've enjoyed the most over the years have been straightforward rock cover gigs - decent bar to play I and a lot of drink and they can be a great laugh!

I can vouch for Rocksmith being a good introduction to guitar, it remains to be seen whether it can actually teach me guitar

I've had it for the last couple of weeks and whilst I'm obviously not able to 'play' I can play along with the simple arrangements, find my way around the frets much better and can find the correct string easier(chords are still daunting though).

Definitely progress being made but it's slow and steady.

Just picked up an old PS3 copy of the original Rocksmith for £2.50 to transfer the songs across, it'll double the number of songs for about £6.

I'm definitely finding it much less of a chore than doing lessons.

Edit: I have a base model Yamaha Pacifica which I am actually liking a lot, it's a nicely styled guitar.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Yeah its awful having pre-set tones that sound good at the flick of a switch.

They all sound absolutely inferior to a good guitar, amp and pedal board set up. They're good for quickness but not brilliant for actual tone or customisation imho.

I want to learn the electric guitar, both my dad and brother can play so I feel like I'm letting the clan down.

Was looking on amazon at starter packs, looking to spend maybe £100-150 to get me going.

What make would you guys recommend?

Yamaha pacifica

They all sound absolutely inferior to a good guitar, amp and pedal board set up. They're good for quickness but not brilliant for actual tone or customisation imho.

Well the best amp I've ever owned is a Fender Mustang modelling amp. So of the tones are getting really close to the real thing.

Ibanez Roadstar II 1984

The same range as the one Michael J Fox plays in back to the Future but the model with twin humbuckers and a Strat style whammy.

Patrick & Philip Steel strung acoustic

Yamaha Electric Bass (early 80s)

Charity shop Classical which I probably play more than any of the others

Charity shop Hondo steel string with a ridiculously high action that I'm going to teach myself to play slide on, some day

Acoustic bass, currently on loan to brother in law

Gloss black Flying V ukulele

1940s George Formby style banjo ukulele (restoration project that's progressing almost as slowly as my slide guitar playing attempts)

Electric wise I've currently got a 2001 Fender Strat (bought off eBay when I was eight, yes EIGHT, years old), a Fender Jaguar Modern Player and a G&L Asat Special in Blueburst, which is my personal favourite.

Currently using a Sigma DMC-STE as my main acoustic and recently bought a Tanglewood Travel guitar to pluck about on.

Play through a Fender Frontman 212R amp.

What strings do people use? I bought Martin strings (gauge 10) for years for my acoustic but around a year ago I noticed they would go dull very quickly. I have switched to D'Addarrio strings (gauge 11) and they are much better. I also have D'Addarrio strings on my Gretsch.

I always use D'addarrio also.