Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

1st 3...

Queen is Dead, Hatful of Hollow & possibly Strangeways Here We Come?

Grimbo

Close m8, but the third one is Led Zep3 original, very heavy vinyl in more ways than one.

records_zps64gsieay.jpg

some of mine pre the fire, arrrrgh!

Grimbo

V.nice. Thats your mission Grimbo............get them all back.

Got a basic Sony deck, Fatman valve amp and a pair of TDL floor standing speakers, lovely sound. Keep meaning to complete The Smiths album set, (original vinyl) as at the moment I only have The Queen is Dead and Hatful of Hollow, might post pics of the set-up later.

I'm sure I still have all the original releases I'll have a look if you're interested. I stored a lot of vinyl carelessly 5 years ago so a lot got warped so not sure if these were affected.

I'm sure I still have all the original releases I'll have a look if you're interested. I stored a lot of vinyl carelessly 5 years ago so a lot got warped so not sure if these were affected.

Yes. Nice one.

Richer sounds is probably about the best place to go Grimbo, glad to see you're thinking about a valve amp, these are the best. IMO.

Do they have a proper demonstration room or just want to flog end of line crap to get you out the door? You only get quality if you're willing to pay for it.

Had a look at some of the Linn gear, jesus christ it is expensive.

Also stumbled across a turntable that costs £89,000. Insanity.

It is but it's quality we can aspire to if and when funds allow. The high end stuff is insane and not for me.....not Linn I presume?

I have vinyl but no record player at the moment. Been collecting Postcard Records of Scotland vinyl and 70's reggae stuff among other things for years but I want to have my Top 50 albums on vinyl so I'll probably be buying an LP a week in 2016, if I can find them.

Recently picked up John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and The Cramps 'Smell of Female' but I'll make a more concerted effort in the new year.

I got a record player for Christmas. I've got the blade runner soundtrack and brothers in arms by dire straits along with a few 80s bands like Ultravox that my parents had kicking about their house.

Mine is a stereotrope retro looking thing with built in speakers. It's brilliant. Can't wait to build up a collection of bands like the Smiths and Genesis etc. Although I'd quite like to build a collection of dance and trance vinyls as well...

Every now and again, usually if its not available on CD and if i really like the artist then I will put vinyl ahead of downloads.

I still have most of my old vinyl from the 80's and 90's and some 7'' singles from the 70's

I have a red Project Debut Carbon purchased from the HI-Fi Corner, Elm Row, Edinburgh a couple of years ago a bit like the one below.

Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon3-LumberJac.jpg

Two sites I frequently visit are http://www.juno.co.uk/who also do DJ equipment and https://boomkat.com/charts/2015 who excellent for new releases in vinyl especially towards the electronic side of music and some indie.

Picked up an Ion turntable with built in speakers for £80 from HMV last week.

We were going to go all out... Turntable. Amp, Speakers.... But with a new born due in days, we figured the £400 could be better spent.

The Ion's a great wee starter, though.

My partner got me Dire Straits Romeo & Juliet single for my christmas, so i returned the favour and got her Pixies Doolittle for her birthday.

Just ordered an originial pressing of Neil Young's Harvest. Great condition double Gatefold. So looking forward to that.

All I've heard from my dad over the last week is.... what the fck do you want to buy original pressings for? there was an oil crisis on, the quality of vinyl was shit! :lol: OK dad, rather than watch me spend my money, how's about you just give me your collection, seen as all your music is on an Olive!

The Rega RP1 or the Pro-Ject Debut / Carbon / Essential are superb value for money.

Discogs (or failing that, eBay) is absolutely your best bet if you need mint up on the usual classic staples. Don't go to HMV, Juno or Rough Trade - no-one should be paying that much for reissues.

Oh, and the plural of vinyl is vinyl. Not "vinyls", FFS.