Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

8 hours ago, Grim O'Grady said:

I clicked on "next post" & saw the video of the cat stuck in the pipe, awww funny as f**k.

Grimbo

That's not mine; I got a video of a baby with a beard  :huh:

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Can't access the image in work so I'll have a look when I get home.

Picked up a copy of Ian Dury's New Boots and Panties and James Taylor's Mud Slide Jim at the weekend from a local car boot. Also a couple of Pixies shows on CD from their 2004 reunion tour.

Heading to Assai on Saturday to hopefully pick up 5 records they're trying to get for me - Shovels and Rope x2, Julia Jacklin, Handsome Family and Drive By Truckers. May well drop into Alloa on the way if there's anything I'm after.

I think that's a pirate version.

th?&id=OIP.M8a48265d06dc6c6b1846a4cfc0835c2ao0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

We got about a hundred new records in at the Alloa BHF yesterday, so I've updated the image gallery to include them (and remove a few that have definitely gone). Most are in really good nick, if anyone's interested, although it's mostly Scottish country dance and Jesus music. Prices vary between 50p to £3 each, although one or two might end up being more once I've looked them up (like that Gerry and the Pacemakers one, for example). As usual, happy to post if there's something you want and can't make it in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
8 hours ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Looking to buy a new record player. Anyone here got any decent suggestions? So far I've looked at Rega RP1 and Technica lp120.

Rega have been highly regarded in audiophile circles for decades now so you wouldn't go wrong making it the basis of a decent budget system.

1 hour ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Aye, a few folk have suggested it's the way to go. Cheers.

Mrs Boo took it upon herself to move my Linn Sondek LP12 based system into a spare bedroom without asking me. TBF I hardly ever used it but I was still raging.......grrrrrr.

I can understand why folk would want LP's. There is so much info on the cover, and the feel of handling them is nice. 

The storage is a bast*rd though. I had over 2,500 of them. That's a lot of boxes and a lot of lifting to do if you move.

I put them all onto dvd and hard disc copies and swapped them for a high end PRS with a friend who deals in vinyl and guitars.

Quite happy with the swap.

I was down in Manchester last weekend and the Art Gallery was doing limited edition pressings of Closer by Joy Division. It's limited to 1,000 copies, comes in a plastic sleeve regarding the exhibition that's on and pressed on white vinyl. £35, but I picked one up anyway. I think it stops next month.

On 30/11/2015 at 19:57, philpy said:

So, vinyl appears to be making a comeback - how many people are still collecting it or have started buying it again?? I got an old school stereo system free from gumtree, and have been picking up some second hand stuff, mainly from charity shops. The charity shops around the Nicholson street area of Edinburgh are absolute treasure troves. The wife is getting me some new LP's for xmas, Along with a new crossley turntable.

I've just put some new stuff down on my kitchen floor.

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone ever try this? We get some utterly mawkit records in at the shop, and I must admit to feeling a strange need to give it a go, despite not actually playing an LP in about twenty years.

• 1 month later...

Just like the previous few years I've received lots of vinyl for Christmas. Mostly reggae/skinhead/ska, a few 90s Madchester stuff and some punk. Got a nice surprise when opening the Toots and the Maytals live on Strawberry Hill album, nice sunburst coloured vinyl. 

Just glad it's not the Dayglo shade or I'd have had to return to sender :lol:

Just like the previous few years I've received lots of vinyl for Christmas. Mostly reggae/skinhead/ska, a few 90s Madchester stuff and some punk. Got a nice surprise when opening the Toots and the Maytals live on Strawberry Hill album, nice sunburst coloured vinyl. 

Just glad it's not the Dayglo shade or I'd have had to return to sender [emoji38]

Man after my own heart. Ska and reggae is the baws. Got a prince buster album from the wee stall at the tron Kirk market. Had bad manners on earlier. Going to see them on Saturday.