Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

28 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I just recently purchased myself a record player and it’s due to arrive tomorrow. To begin with I will be connecting to my soundbar via bluetooth but in the next few months I plan to upgrade to an amp and speakers/powered speakers so any recommendations are welcome. So far I have plundered a few local charity shops and ebay for some records so any recommendations for good records shops in the dumbarton/Clydebank/Glasgow region are also welcome. I’m not particularly arsed about finding valuable gems, I’m only really arsed about buying records I’d listen to which tends to consist of 60’s and 70’s pop/rock. I plan on taking a trip to Europa Music in Stirling which seemed to have a really good selection when I was in buying CDs a couple of weeks ago. I just love the buzz of flicking through all the 2nd hand LPs.

FWIW the turntable I purchased is an Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT which by all accounts isn’t the best but seemed the most affordable and sensible option for a complete beginner who just wants to spin a few good albums.

Europa is good for picking up older stuff. They also stock some new releases, but I wouldn't rely on them for new stock. In Glasgow there's Monorail Music. Staff are absolute throbbers, but they do stock some unusual stuff. Assai is opening a Glasgow store in the next 2 months. No idea where yet. I really like the service from Assai and I've been buying from them since they had their Broughty Ferry store, but they're probably the most expensive record shop in Scotland. Mixed Up Records in the west end of Glasgow is also an option.

https://sites.google.com/site/recordfairsinscotland

Keep an eye on that site for record fairs. The 2 main ones in Scotland are Allander Record Fairs and Second Sound. There's a regular one in Phillies in Shawlands. The big VIP fair that used to be once a year at the Kelvin Hall is now 3 times a year at Bellahouston leisure centre. They have it in March, June and October, but it's nothing like as good as it used to be.

As for amp v powered speaker, I'd probably go for an amp and speakers rather than just powered speakers. Your turntable has it's own phono stage, so you don't need a pre-amp. Just a basic amp and a set of speakers. I like the connectivity that an amp gives for proper speakers and for a good set of headphones.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

41 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Europa is good for picking up older stuff. They also stock some new releases, but I wouldn't rely on them for new stock. In Glasgow there's Monorail Music. Staff are absolute throbbers, but they do stock some unusual stuff. Assai is opening a Glasgow store in the next 2 months. No idea where yet. I really like the service from Assai and I've been buying from them since they had their Broughty Ferry store, but they're probably the most expensive record shop in Scotland. Mixed Up Records in the west end of Glasgow is also an option.

https://sites.google.com/site/recordfairsinscotland

Keep an eye on that site for record fairs. The 2 main ones in Scotland are Allander Record Fairs and Second Sound. There's a regular one in Phillies in Shawlands. The big VIP fair that used to be once a year at the Kelvin Hall is now 3 times a year at Bellahouston leisure centre. They have it in March, June and October, but it's nothing like as good as it used to be.

As for amp v powered speaker, I'd probably go for an amp and speakers rather than just powered speakers. Your turntable has it's own phono stage, so you don't need a pre-amp. Just a basic amp and a set of speakers. I like the connectivity that an amp gives for proper speakers and for a good set of headphones.

Solid info, many thanks. I paid a visit to Mixed Up via Euesbi for a coffee on Saturday (a very hipster Saturday morning) and found found what I thought was a couple of decent bargains (Beatles blue album and a cut price Paul Simon greatest hits for a fiver). Looking to add some Pink Floyd classics to the collection but they don’t seem to be going for anything less 2nd hand than what a I could get a brand new record for. Like I said I just want stuff I enjoy listening to rather than collectable records so if I can get it brand new for much the same price I’ll probably go down that route. 

On 06/02/2023 at 19:57, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I just recently purchased myself a record player and it’s due to arrive tomorrow. To begin with I will be connecting to my soundbar via bluetooth but in the next few months I plan to upgrade to an amp and speakers/powered speakers so any recommendations are welcome. So far I have plundered a few local charity shops and ebay for some records so any recommendations for good records shops in the dumbarton/Clydebank/Glasgow region are also welcome. I’m not particularly arsed about finding valuable gems, I’m only really arsed about buying records I’d listen to which tends to consist of 60’s and 70’s pop/rock. I plan on taking a trip to Europa Music in Stirling which seemed to have a really good selection when I was in buying CDs a couple of weeks ago. I just love the buzz of flicking through all the 2nd hand LPs.

FWIW the turntable I purchased is an Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT which by all accounts isn’t the best but seemed the most affordable and sensible option for a complete beginner who just wants to spin a few good albums.

For second hand records, take a train down to North Ayrshire and visit Saltcoats Record Centre, plenty of 60s and 70s pop/rock at fair prices. Mixed Up Records in Otago Lane in the West End is good for second hand stuff too (I see youve already visited Mixed Up).

Edited by funky monkey

I'm of the metalhead persuasion, and have a large collection of stuff at my mum's which ends abruptly at about 1995, from which point I switched exclusively to CD. I have a few fairly valuable bits and bobs in there like early Burzum, Darkthrone and Cradle of Filth pressings plus a lot of 1st wave Floridian Death Metal.

I've recently started buying vinyl again, but not indiscriminately, just a few select classics from more recent years, mostly in interesting pressings.

Where's the best places for a ruffle through the racks for persons of my taste then? HMV downstairs has a fairly decent Metal vinyl section, but the prices are insane. Either new or 2nd hand places are fine, Based in Perthshire*.

*so I am still in mourning for the late lamented Goldrush in Perth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2023 at 19:57, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nothing wrong with that Audio-Technica as an easy connection turntable to get back into vinyl. I’ve got the same model I connect to my sound bar at the moment over a couple of other options as the room it’s in needs re-organising if I was going to be running the cabling for an amp/speakers option. When I get round to making my planned Rega purchase I’ll go down that route.

Re your later point about buying new Floyd re-issues over older second hand versions I’d definitely go with the new option over old if you really can’t find cheaper second hand ones. Floyd albums will never be dirt cheap but would have thought you’d find decent bog standard pressings for around a tenner second hand versus twenty quid or more for new issues - HMV have most of the the back catalogue in the 3 for £55 offer at the moment. No risk of the vinyl being in poor condition and the packaging will obviously be pristine too which is unlikely to be the case for a cheaper second hand copy unless you are lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Nothing wrong with that Audio-Technica as an easy connection turntable to get back into vinyl. I’ve got the same model I connect to my sound bar at the moment over a couple of other options as the room it’s in needs re-organising if I was going to be running the cabling for an amp/speakers option. When I get round to making my planned Rega purchase I’ll go down that route.

Re your later point about buying new Floyd re-issues over older second hand versions I’d definitely go with the new option over old if you really can’t find cheaper second hand ones. Floyd albums will never be dirt cheap but would have thought you’d find decent bog standard pressings for around a tenner second hand versus twenty quid or more for new issues - HMV have most of the the back catalogue in the 3 for £55 offer at the moment. No risk of the vinyl being in poor condition and the packaging will obviously be pristine too which is unlikely to be the case for a cheaper second hand copy unless you are lucky.

The sound via the sound bar is impressive, I must be honest. Long term I’ll be looking to upgrade but it’s doing the job perfectly at the minute and the record player hasn’t skipped a beat. 

I’ve bought a couple of new records but I’ve been finding most of my deals through record buying/selling Facebook groups. I’m already over halfway in terms of The Beatles album collection and have managed to bag most of them for under 15 quid - all of them play great which is a bonus! The rate at which I’m buying records may lead to a divorce but at least I’ll have a nice collection.

• 2 months later...

Rega have launched an eco initiative by selling "green" Planar 1 turntables at £100 or £170 off their normal price.

Their latest offering is an RP1 but with a red R3 plinth for £199 or £229 for the Plus version.

Find out more about their Green Grade products at this link.

https://www.rega.co.uk/news/item/save-money-and-the-planet-with-rega-green-grade-products

Recently got my vinyl collection back from storage in a friend's loft, going to get a suitable turntable to fit over the cab in my Transit conversion. Am a bit worried about how I will manage to protect the turntable from the daily bumps and rattles (and cavernous potholes) so any advice appreciated....... unless it's 'Get a House' in which case your name will be going on The List. 

[Edit: will probably keep a decent turntable in a heavily-packed suitcase for occasional deployment but it would be good to know if anyone in a similar van has got any recommendations]

Edited by IncomingExile

9 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

Recently got my vinyl collection back from storage in a friend's loft, going to get a suitable turntable to fit over the cab in my Transit conversion. Am a bit worried about how I will manage to protect the turntable from the daily bumps and rattles (and cavernous potholes) so any advice appreciated....... unless it's 'Get a House' in which case your name will be going on The List. 

[Edit: will probably keep a decent turntable in a heavily-packed suitcase for occasional deployment but it would be good to know if anyone in a similar van has got any recommendations]

Scooby doo.