Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And if they had yet more money, they could be pretty much invincible at home.  

As is, they've won titles while dropping plenty points in Rangers' absence; but toiled in the Cups. 

It strikes me as daft to claim that the gap is so big, that adding significantly to it can't matter.

big money sales of a few players and near consistent european money either from the CL or the EL, and celtic STILL have their worst squad since the early 90's, now if the worst squad since the early 90's are still winning the league, and looking half arsed at it, then whats the difference if they earn 20mill extra a year from the CL (or if rangers do for that matter)

since the strong northern teams fell away in the late 80's, the best the non OF teams can hope for is a cup win, or even a cup final shot against the OF and hopefully a european place with it (maybe the cup win as well if the OF have a bad day), the good thing about teams doing well in europe is that the smaller clubs getting to finals or winning cups might well have it easier and can last more than one away trip in europe to enjoy it, and maybe, just maybe make a few extra quid out of it

Also, if the OF start raking it in from europe again, that money might well stay in scottish football, look at how much rangers and celtic gave to hibs for some of their young players only a decade ago, same with united etc

As it stands, i hope everyone bar rangers lose in europe because of rivalries, its that simple, i'll not do a davie and tie myself up in knots, the co-efficient is shite anyway and wont get better anytime soon even when rangers get back into europe, i just dont want to see our rivals win at all, and that includes pretty much the whole of the SPFL

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 53_and_counting said:

big money sales of a few players and near consistent european money either from the CL or the EL, and celtic STILL have their worst squad since the early 90's, now if the worst squad since the early 90's are still winning the league, and looking half arsed at it, then whats the difference if they earn 20mill extra a year from the CL (or if rangers do for that matter)

So you're also arguing that if Celtic net say £20m, it won't confer an additional advantage to that they currently enjoy?  Are you?  Have I got that right?

This thread really is home to the Flat Earth Society, it would appear.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So you're also arguing that if Celtic net say £20m, it won't confer an additional advantage to that they currently enjoy?  Are you?  Have I got that right?

This thread really is home to the Flat Earth Society, it would appear.

obviously it offers an additional advantage, but ive explained that both this advantage might not be taken and that some of that 20mill might make its way to say hibs, motherwell, aberdeen etc

right now id bet ANY team in scottish football would want celtic to hit the group stages if it meant they spent 2-3million quid on one of their players (i know thats not a guarantee but everyone always say the OF simply hoover up the best scottish talent)

and, the main point, the last 3 years celtic have made virtually heehaw from europe, spent a ton of money on wages and transfer fees (recouped a bit obviously) on absolute shite, and assembled their worst squad since the early 90's, yet they still win the league with a half arsed effort

so if celtic are at their worst, with little european income whatsoever, and still winning the league, why does it bother you so much if they earn an extra 20mill that may well be spent in scottish football

1 minute ago, 53_and_counting said:

so if celtic are at their worst, with little european income whatsoever, and still winning the league, why does it bother you so much if they earn an extra 20mill that may well be spent in scottish football

Because our game is already hopelessly unbalanced and this would make that worse.

Seriously, why is a succession of posters finding this difficult?

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because our game is already hopelessly unbalanced and this would make that worse.

Seriously, why is a succession of posters finding this difficult?

its been hopelessly unbalanced for over a century, and the fact that the first time since what, the early 80's, when the OF were both shite (and one half not even in the top league to focus the other lots attention) and still no one came close to winning the league

38 minutes ago, 53_and_counting said:

What are they going to spend it on? Bobble hats from the souvenir stalls? I doubt it.

Say Hibs have a promising young player, the new Kenny Dalglish. Celtic come along and buy him for five million quid. Fine, Hibs are five million richer... but Celtic have the new Dalglish and the gap just gets wider.

What are they going to spend it on? Bobble hats from the souvenir stalls? I doubt it.

Say Hibs have a promising young player, the new Kenny Dalglish. Celtic come along and buy him for five million quid. Fine, Hibs are five million richer... but Celtic have the new Dalglish and the gap just gets wider.

They'd buy a player like that anyway and are currently doing it this is a thing that's happening and has always happened. So I'm not sure how the gap would get wider???

47 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

They'd buy a player like that anyway and are currently doing it this is a thing that's happening and has always happened. So I'm not sure how the gap would get wider???

You're not sure how £20m allows the gap to get wider?

This is the level of logic confronting us, people.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

the promising player doesnt stay long in the scottish game anyway, wages see to that, but is it not better that one of the OF pay over the odds for them to desperately make the group stage home grown requirements or whatever reason than some english team taking them for less while the OF buy in a foreign import that keeps the gap growing anyway

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're not sure how £20m allows the gap to get wider?

This is the level of logic confronting us, people.

can the gap get any wider? the odd trophy aside the OF have dominated scottish football with and without big euro money, so instead of the OF spending x amount of money to win the league they spend y amount of money, the end result is the same

i can just imagine some stuttgart fans in germany thinking if bayern dont go past the group stages in the CL then the gap in their game will close up a bit :lol:

1 hour ago, 53_and_counting said:

its been hopelessly unbalanced for over a century, and the fact that the first time since what, the early 80's, when the OF were both shite (and one half not even in the top league to focus the other lots attention) and still no one came close to winning the league

Yes, but lots of clubs won Cups.

You guys are locked in some argument of trying to say the gulf is too great, yet that resources don't matter.

It's requiring an impressive degree of doublethink that you're unable to pull off.

11 minutes ago, 53_and_counting said:

can the gap get any wider? the odd trophy aside the OF have dominated scottish football with and without big euro money, so instead of the OF spending x amount of money to win the league they spend y amount of money, the end result is the same

i can just imagine some stuttgart fans in germany thinking if bayern dont go past the group stages in the CL then the gap in their game will close up a bit :lol:

Why are you comparing our situation to Germany's?

How foolish.

20 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

:lol:

I wasn't even speaking about that there.

Look at the state you get yourself in, minter

What the Hell were you speaking about then?

And please spare me the "state" and "minter" stuff, son.  Neither of us are nine years old.

What the Hell were you speaking about then?

And please spare me the "state" and "minter" stuff, son.  Neither of us are nine years old.

Read it back. He was saying that they'd go and buy the best players from other teams if they got that money which would widen the gap. All I said that this is already happening and has been for ages. For as long as I can remember.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Read it back. He was saying that they'd go and buy the best players from other teams if they got that money which would widen the gap. All I said that this is already happening and has been for ages. For as long as I can remember.

Are they perhaps better placed to do that if they have more money?

Take your time.  It's clearly a tricky one.

Are they perhaps better placed to do that if they have more money?

Take your time.  It's clearly a tricky one.

No not really

As they'd do it anyway

And you just said were not 9 years old, look at your last sentence

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

No not really

As they'd do it anyway

And you just said were not 9 years old, look at your last sentence

Well it clearly was a tricky one because you're apparently keen to argue that black is in fact, white.

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why are you comparing our situation to Germany's?

How foolish.

due to the dominance of Bayern over the rest, i thought that would have been pretty obvious, we could pick any country tbh, european money or lack of will not close the gap between the top, money making teams and the teams scrambling below them

Archived