Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just finished listening to last night's Sportsound and it's pretty amazing how much Celtic's draw at home to Manchester City has affected some people's judgement. The concencus was that Celtic would win tonight, and Joe Miller (I know) even thinks that Celtic could be second in the group! I think that some reality should be input into the Manchester City result. It was undoubtedly a great result and a more than decent performance. But when you consider that the first goal was offside, and the fact that it came so early and gave Celtic great momentum for the rest of the match, would that have happened if the goal had correctly been disallowed? Also Celtic were totally on the back foot from around 50 minutes onwards and really ride their luck in the last half hour. They well get another great result tonight, but I really doubt it. Let's just remember that this is a team that lost to a Gibraltan league team and lost 7.0 in Barcelona! 

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I've just finished listening to last night's Sportsound and it's pretty amazing how much Celtic's draw at home to Manchester City has affected some people's judgement. The concencus was that Celtic would win tonight, and Joe Miller (I know) even thinks that Celtic could be second in the group! I think that some reality should be input into the Manchester City result. It was undoubtedly a great result and a more than decent performance. But when you consider that the first goal was offside, and the fact that it came so early and gave Celtic great momentum for the rest of the match, would that have happened if the goal had correctly been disallowed? Also Celtic were totally on the back foot from around 50 minutes onwards and really ride their luck in the last half hour. They well get another great result tonight, but I really doubt it. Let's just remember that this is a team that lost to a Gibraltan league team and lost 7.0 in Barcelona! 

I think the injury situation and domestic form of BMG(Get it up ye) has given folk a bit of confidence going into this too. I think a draw is achievable and a win has to be viewed as a very good result for Celtic, but it is far from a sure thing. The bookies have little between the teams, odds wise, which is probably accurate.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

I think the injury situation and domestic form of BMG(Get it up ye) has given folk a bit of confidence going into this too. I think a draw is achievable and a win has to be viewed as a very good result for Celtic, but it is far from a sure thing. The bookies have little between the teams, odds wise, which is probably accurate.

The form of BM (back at ye) definitely gives Celtic some hope, but it's mindset that Celtic are red hot favourites that gets me " let's focus on the one great result and ignore all of the rest" that gets me. John Rankine (I know) said on Sunday that he couldn't see anything but a Celtic win and Murdo Macleod (I know again) said it would be 2.0 Celtic!

Must win for Celtic if they want to finish third. Gladbach might be missing key players but they're still a strong team. However, it's still probably as good a chance as Celtic will get for 3 points in the CL. 

Archived