St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Considering Paul McGowan's lack of ability when striking a ball, how the f**k was he on pens for you? Was he any good at them?

Missed one or two, IIRC, but tucked one away against Celtic at Hampden under huge pressure and in the face of significant twattery from Celtic (I know,  I was surprised as well).

But yeah, his shooting was the weakness in his game. He'd never have been playing for us if he could strike a ball, I guess. 

Missed one or two, IIRC, but tucked one away against Celtic at Hampden under huge pressure and in the face of significant twattery from Celtic (I know,  I was surprised as well).
But yeah, his shooting was the weakness in his game. He'd never have been playing for us if he could strike a ball, I guess. 

Exactly.

Oddly the day St Mirren got off the bottom of the table was the day of a big setback for them in terms of their recent revival.

Not winning today, ahead of a really tough run, makes the chances of them being relegated look stronger now than they've looked in a wee while.

Oddly the day St Mirren got off the bottom of the table was the day of a big setback for them in terms of their recent revival.
Not winning today, ahead of a really tough run, makes the chances of them being relegated look stronger now than they've looked in a wee while.

A big set back??? Ayr and Raith have an equally tough run in. Of course we'd have rather won today but a point is a point and keeps us going in the right direction.

9 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

A big set back??? Ayr and Raith have an equally tough run in. Of course we'd have rather won today but a point is a point and keeps us going in the right direction.

Ok, 'big' setback is maybe pushing it.  I hadn't realised quite how tough the run-ins for the other pair you mention, are.

I'll stand by setback though.  I'd expected St Mirren to win yesterday, but the draw keeps them down there.It still looks likely that they'll be in danger of filling a bottom two spot right up to the wire now.  Victory against Dumbarton would have bought you some breathing space.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not at all. Had Ayr and/or Raith won yesterday I'd agree. We're off bottom for now and effectively have a free pop at gaining some more ground on Tuesday without the added pressure of trying to haul our arse off the foot. Yesterday's results have been overall a positive for us. 

The Bookies agree too. We've gone from 5/1 to finish bottom to 6/1 today. 6/1 is massively generous odds right enough.

On 4/9/2017 at 09:00, djchapsticks said:

Not at all. Had Ayr and/or Raith won yesterday I'd agree. We're off bottom for now and effectively have a free pop at gaining some more ground on Tuesday without the added pressure of trying to haul our arse off the foot. Yesterday's results have been overall a positive for us. 

The Bookies agree too. We've gone from 5/1 to finish bottom to 6/1 today. 6/1 is massively generous odds right enough.

Where can you get those prices? I nearly took an insurance bet at 3/1 a few weeks back but forgot - at that price, it's hard to ignore. 

On 4/8/2017 at 23:33, paisleysaints said:

Erm no they don't. Playing the top four sides away from home in this division is far more difficult than playing them at home; Dundee United, ourselves and to a far lesser extent Falkirk and Hibs enjoy better records playing at home than away. Dundee United have lost half of their league away matches this season. Raith have two of the top four (1 home, 1 away) with two six-pointers and so have the easiest run-in; Ayr have three of the top four (crucially however, two of those are at home and only one away) and a six-pointer; Saint Mirren have a game in hand but play all four of the top four away from home, with one home game left that you probably have to win to stand any chance of staying up.

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Where can you get those prices? I nearly took an insurance bet at 3/1 a few weeks back but forgot - at that price, it's hard to ignore. 

Bet Victor seem to be the only company offering (automatic) relegation odds.

Ayr 1/3, Raith 5, St Mirren 6, Dumbarton 16.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/scottish/championship/to-finish-bottom

9 minutes ago, morrison1982 said:

Bet Victor seem to be the only company offering (automatic) relegation odds.

Ayr 1/3, Raith 5, St Mirren 6, Dumbarton 16.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/scottish/championship/to-finish-bottom

Cheers. Obviously an insurance bet backfires massively if we finish 9th and still go down. :lol:

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Erm no they don't. Playing the top four sides away from home in this division is far more difficult than playing them at home; Dundee United, ourselves and to a far lesser extent Falkirk and Hibs enjoy better records playing at home than away. Dundee United have lost half of their league away matches this season. Raith have two of the top four (1 home, 1 away) with two six-pointers and so have the easiest run-in; Ayr have three of the top four (crucially however, two of those are at home and only one away) and a six-pointer; Saint Mirren have a game in hand but play all four of the top four away from home, with one home game left that you probably have to win to stand any chance of staying up.

Hard to disagree with any of that. That being said, provided we beat Raith at home, a win in any of those last 4 away games might just be enough to secure our automatic safety. It will almost certainly be enough to ensure we're not bottom.  

Had you offered me 9th place at the end of January given the shambles we were in and sheer amount of turnover of bodies, I'd have been delighted to take our chance in the play offs. 

Archived