St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

Busted [emoji14]
Yeah, the received wisdom was that that team up to January was the worst, and the stats back that up. Since then, we have a team that form indicates would challenge at the right end of the table.
[mention=35024]AsimButtHitsASix[/mention] - you're right, but the wage bill won't be much higher than it was. We still have the bulk of the McAllister money set aside. Chances are Mallan and Morgan could both be sold this summer, too, so there'll be another rebuild to do.
We had several strokes of fortune: McGinn coming home and being the hero we needed, Stelios turning out to be a match-winning full-back, Mallan finding his form again, Davis being an amazing defender, Morgan turning into one of the league's better wingers.
Could still all go pear shaped, but there's no doubt in my mind that Ross is the man for next season, whichever league we are in.

I'd say McGinn volunteering his services is the only one that can be put down to fortune. Getting the best out of players isn't something that just happens. It's more impressive to have Mallan and Morgan going from toiling to ripping up the league than it is to sign players already good enough to play this level. Even Baird and McKenzie look transformed from the pitiful state they were in during the first half of the campaign. Didn't put a foot wrong last night

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AMC13 said:

Disagree with that for all Ross done well for Alloa even during Alloa's amazing run when no-one could beat them Livi went to the Recs and took them apart quite easily. We just a far better side from start to finish.

Livingston deserved to win that match but took "them apart quite easily" is nonsense. The stars aligned for you that day and 3-0 at half-time was a freak scoreline which in no way reflected the balance of play. That was also the first game of the season in which Iain Flannigan didn't play, a man who was absolutely outstanding for us during that run.

Nobody else in League 1 this season got close to the level that Alloa displayed during our winning run. We pissed all over our League 1 opponents, beat Ross County and ICT (and Raith), and had Celtic shitting themselves at Parkhead until the 83rd minute. Now that form wasn't ever going to be sustainable, but I would have fancied JR to deal with the inevitable dip. As it was, Jim Goodwin had a tricky couple of months trying to adapt to the job and we also lost him as a player, for even when he tried to balance both roles initially he wasn't the same force in the middle of the park that he had been under Jack Ross. Livingston are deserving champions over the season but not a vintage team and were there for the taking. I don't expect you to agree, but I think you should thank Alex Rae for being so inept.

In regards to Diamonds are Forever, I think JR has a lot more than just an ability to recruit well. The squad he inherited at Alloa last season was shite and he didn't have the option to do a mass rebuild as he has at St Mirren, but that Alloa team was transformed by the end of the season. They didn't have enough to stay up, but he got them organised and pulling together and won back some respect. Two draws with Rangers and win over Hibs were exceptional results with the quality of player he had. Individual players made great progress under him in a short space of time. He then built a new side in the summer, but his work with the squad he inherited had been noted.

Jack Ross knows how to motivate players and make his clubs happy places to be, everyone was pulling together at Alloa and it looks to be the same at St Mirren. If he can keep that going he is capable of going far.

Yeah, I miss Jack Ross :wub::(

Suppose you can only imagine what could have been there is no fact in what you are proposing Livi were too strong for Alloa on the pitch all season even when Ross managed them and your run was great but Livi ended that run in the first half of that game. It's easy for an Alloa fan to say "we would have won the league if Ross stayed" and easy for Livi fans to say the opposite but there is no fact behind the claims Ross would have won the league.

Been a brilliant run but suspect plenty of twists and turns ahead.

Raith will fancy their chances on Saturday against a Morton side that seems to have run out of steam.

Ayr look pretty honking at the moment especially at home but they have competed well against Dundee Utd this season.

Dumbarton are well capable of beating Dunfermline at The Rock too.

We definitely have the toughest game on Saturday.

25 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

Suppose you can only imagine what could have been there is no fact in what you are proposing Livi were too strong for Alloa on the pitch all season even when Ross managed them and your run was great but Livi ended that run in the first half of that game. It's easy for an Alloa fan to say "we would have won the league if Ross stayed" and easy for Livi fans to say the opposite but there is no fact behind the claims Ross would have won the league.

Indeed. I was offering my opinion. Obviously there is no factual proof. But mind and thank Alex Rae if you ever see him.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Imagine what it'd be like if your best season in three decades involved being pumped 4-1 by St Mirren's worst ever team :lol:

Soapless and, literally, hopeless.

Last night is hardly your worst team ever is it? Where you are in the table doesn't reflect how decent your squad is now.

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

I'd say McGinn volunteering his services is the only one that can be put down to fortune. Getting the best out of players isn't something that just happens. It's more impressive to have Mallan and Morgan going from toiling to ripping up the league than it is to sign players already good enough to play this level. Even Baird and McKenzie look transformed from the pitiful state they were in during the first half of the campaign. Didn't put a foot wrong last night

Eckersley was fortunate. He apparently phoned Jack out the blue (they were together at Hearts) and said he wanted to return to Scotland from the MSL and did Jack know any Club looking for a left-back and the rest is history.

And Davis was Captain at Crewe and his father was the Manager. His dad was bumped and the job given to his assistant and there was a lot of bad blood. Davis refused to play for the new guy and wanted to go on loan even though he was Captain and ever-present in the team. This was all 48hrs before the window closed. If that sacking hadn't happened there would have been zero chance of us getting him.

As for Stelios who knows. Rumour has it he wanted to come back to the UK (born in London) and we took him on trial and discovered how good a two-footed player he was.

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

As for Stelios who knows. Rumour has it he wanted to come back to the UK (born in London) and we took him on trial and discovered how good a two-footed player he was.

Makes sense. His missus apparently lives in London and he is keen to stay on but that only happens if we stay in this league. 

Indeed. I was offering my opinion. Obviously there is no factual proof. But mind and thank Alex Rae if you ever see him.

No need, it wasn't Alex Rae's Alloa who got slapped about silly on their own patch 3-1. ;)

29 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Eckersley was fortunate. He apparently phoned Jack out the blue (they were together at Hearts) and said he wanted to return to Scotland from the MSL and did Jack know any Club looking for a left-back and the rest is history.

And Davis was Captain at Crewe and his father was the Manager. His dad was bumped and the job given to his assistant and there was a lot of bad blood. Davis refused to play for the new guy and wanted to go on loan even though he was Captain and ever-present in the team. This was all 48hrs before the window closed. If that sacking hadn't happened there would have been zero chance of us getting him.

That's not all about fortune, it's also about having good contacts and players wanting to work with you.

4 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

No need, it wasn't Alex Rae's Alloa who got slapped about silly on their own patch 3-1. ;)

hopkin.jpg.8ba9c65a8d845b496d3ecf7096a63835.jpg

8 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

@Lex is one of my favourite posters on here. He is literally always wrong. It's actually an absolutely incredible talent. 

Needed a miracle with only 69 points. What a batshit mental crackpot that guy is, in all his guises. It must be time for a name change for him, to escape the embarrassment?

Last night is hardly your worst team ever is it? Where you are in the table doesn't reflect how decent your squad is now.

We have been saying that for a while but the more arrogant Ton fans (minority tbf ans not yourself) didn't quite grasp that. We even got accused of being arrogant pre match but the results since January speaks for itself.

Would be a total minter if we were to be relegated now. It's still possible.

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We have been saying that for a while but the more arrogant Ton fans (minority tbf ans not yourself) didn't quite grasp that. We even got accused of being arrogant pre match but the results since January speaks for itself.

Would be a total minter if we were to be relegated now. It's still possible.

I made a post back in October (can't remember if it was on this thread) saying that I thought you'd still stay up. There was nothing to base that on other than I felt you would do well in January if money was there to spend. The likes of Ayr and Dumbarton were never going to consistently keep a big enough gap between them and yourselves so it was inevitable once you improved the squad the gaps would close. It's a tough run in that you have, but St Mirren pumped us off the park last night, which is something that hasn't happened for few years at Cappielow (excluding Rangers last season where our boys were playing against some of their heroes) so I won't be surprised if you pick up more points away at Falkirk and Dundee United. 

I enjoyed the odd Portillo photo etc but fair fucks for the turn around and making us all look like idiots :lol: 

5 hours ago, Div said:

Been a brilliant run but suspect plenty of twists and turns ahead.

Raith will fancy their chances on Saturday against a Morton side that seems to have run out of steam.

Ayr look pretty honking at the moment especially at home but they have competed well against Dundee Utd this season.

Dumbarton are well capable of beating Dunfermline at The Rock too.

We definitely have the toughest game on Saturday.

Perhaps but win and we know that we can secure our place the following week at Dundee, that's some incentive.

We need to win the next two and for Raith to lose the next two to secure a place above them ahead of the game against them. As they don't play next weekend due to Hibs being in the cup we technically can't secure safety in Dundee.

:smartass:geek

Fully expect to be proven wrong on this now!

I made a post back in October (can't remember if it was on this thread) saying that I thought you'd still stay up. There was nothing to base that on other than I felt you would do well in January if money was there to spend. The likes of Ayr and Dumbarton were never going to consistently keep a big enough gap between them and yourselves so it was inevitable once you improved the squad the gaps would close. It's a tough run in that you have, but St Mirren pumped us off the park last night, which is something that hasn't happened for few years at Cappielow (excluding Rangers last season where our boys were playing against some of their heroes) so I won't be surprised if you pick up more points away at Falkirk and Dundee United. 
I enjoyed the odd Portillo photo etc but fair fucks for the turn around and making us all look like idiots [emoji38] 

The biggest turn around for me is I actually like going to the games now and looking forward to the next one regardless of our result. Until Jack got his team, we were always playing with Rae's unbalanced team and it was a real chore to go week after week. Now now though. Kudos to Ton though. Although the wheels have loosened a little recently, it could work out as a blessing in disguise. If the bairns and Utd are battling for 2 nd, you may be able to rest a few players before the play offs start. Everything to play for at both ends with even QotS and Pars having outside chances of being in it

Archived