St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

32 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

He wasn't the only one to be fair. You could see what Ross was trying to do early on. He wasn't helped by some horrendous mistakes in the team. 

I think I suggested that Ross should stay on if we went down and was accused of basing it on 'blind faith' despite what he did at Alloa. 

Top cat's credibility was shot to bits from the minute he suggested Rae should have been given more time. He doesn't have the balls to admit he was wrong along with 2 or 3 other roasters who frequent the black & white army forum.

They all wanted Ross to fail giving them the opportunity to say "I told you so". 

There has been absolutely no praise whatsoever for the amazing turnaround in our season, thats all down to Jack Ross and James Fowler. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Our three best performances have been against the clubs fighting for promotion.

two at home and one away the derby ?

The derby takes care of itself really and pre last nite, your away form was the 2nd worst in the league

P.s, Raith look fuked

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

two at home and one away the derby ?

The derby takes care of itself really and pre last nite, your away form was the 2nd worst in the league

P.s, Raith look fuked

We've arguably turned into a side that will do better against teams that actually try to come at us.

Jack Ross has done a great job and it wasn't simple. He's almost entirely changed the team mid-season and managed to rack up the points. At New Year, no one would think the Buddies would be off the bottom after 32 games, never mind sitting 8th.

Another positive is that even if the Saints go down - and they're by no means safe yet - Jack Ross would be one of your first picks to be in charge in League One. I guess that was part of the thinking when appointing him in the first place.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Imagine what it'd be like if your best season in three decades involved being pumped 4-1 by St Mirren's worst ever team :lol:

Soapless and, literally, hopeless.

Lets be honest. That team last night was certainly not 'St.Mirrens worst ever team.' The team that played in the first game at Cappielow is probably one of the worst I've seen in my time watching Morton. Fair play to Ross for the turnaround so far.

Wonder if you lot would have had the money to bring in the players that have helped if ye hadn't had that wee windfall from Derby? Not often losing a good player actually works in yer favour

We lost 10 players in January and brought in 10. I don't doubt we probably spent a bit extra in doing so but i don't think JR would have been allowed to go mental with the funds.

We made about 225k from McAllister, roughly 300k from the Celtic game and another bonus against United in the cup final.

We are set up well for next season even if it's in preparation for League One.

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Wonder if you lot would have had the money to bring in the players that have helped if ye hadn't had that wee windfall from Derby? Not often losing a good player actually works in yer favour

McAllister only left at the end of the month. Ross shipped 10 players out too, which helped balance the books a bit. Naismith moving to County for a bit of cash also helped get some of the others in. 

I realise a lot of the signings were brought in before McAllister left AND other players left but I presume St. Mirren are still paying a portion of some of those players wages or gave them a small pay off to get rid. I don't doubt their wage budget is higher now than it was in December. But everyone also knew McAlister and/or Mallan would be for the off in January so the board's probably allowed him the opportunity to spend his way out of trouble knowing, even if it didn't work, they could take the financial hit.

Still a good bit of foresight from the board. Woulda been easier to shite themselves.

There definitely is still every chance we will get relegated. 3 games away to 3 of the best teams in the league, and one at home to some fellow strugglers, which have been games we have at times struggled in. I think we need to still be ahead of Raith and Ayr going into the Raith game. We don't want a draw to be enough for them, we need them to come at us.

I genuinely have no idea if we will still be in this league next season, but looking at where we were, it's amazing where we are now, and that's pretty much all down to Ross. It's not just the signings either. Mallan looked a lost cause before Christmas, he's now probably one of the best players in the league, Morgan was a headless chicken with no end product, he's now badly missed and Gary Mackenzie has gone from a perma crocked liability to the absolute rock at the heart of our defence. Irvine, Baird and Sutton have all been good for Ross as well. If we do go down, there is no way I would sack him.

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That money has not been touched (I know that as a fact). We did spend some of the money we got for selling Naismith to Ross County and the fans donated £8K to a playing budget but the rest have been players out and players in. 10 left and 10 came in.

Out were Shankland (Morton via Aberdeen), Walsh (back to Rangers), Hutton (Airdrie), Naismith (£40K to Ross County), McAllister (Derby), C Gallagher to Dumbarton (with Josh Todd coming to us), S Gallagher to Hibs as backup keeper, Hardie (Raith via Rangers), Stewart (Annan on loan) and Orsi (QP on loan).

In came Smith and Storie on loan from Aberdeen, O'Brien on loan from Man City, Todd from Dumbarton (swap for C Gallagher). Fjeldde from Swedish lower Leagues, Eckersley from MSL (desperate for a Club in Scotland but hadn't played for a while), Stelios from Linkedin via Cyprus, McGinn who contacted St Mirren asking to come back and Davis who went on strike with his parent Club Crewe and wanted a loan move anywhere and Loy on loan from Dundee. I dare say the wages increased slightly for maybe McGinn, Davis and Loy but we were very fortunate in players being available at the right time with relatively little or in most cases no outlay.

Another major significance has been in bringing in of Morgan (20) and Magennis (18) who have both been standouts since being promoted from the U20 squad.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Lets be honest. That team last night was certainly not 'St.Mirrens worst ever team.' The team that played in the first game at Cappielow is probably one of the worst I've seen in my time watching Morton. Fair play to Ross for the turnaround so far.

Busted :P

Yeah, the received wisdom was that that team up to January was the worst, and the stats back that up. Since then, we have a team that form indicates would challenge at the right end of the table.

@AsimButtHitsASix - you're right, but the wage bill won't be much higher than it was. We still have the bulk of the McAllister money set aside. Chances are Mallan and Morgan could both be sold this summer, too, so there'll be another rebuild to do.

We had several strokes of fortune: McGinn coming home and being the hero we needed, Stelios turning out to be a match-winning full-back, Mallan finding his form again, Davis being an amazing defender, Morgan turning into one of the league's better wingers.

Could still all go pear shaped, but there's no doubt in my mind that Ross is the man for next season, whichever league we are in.

The importance of last nites result is huge added with the goal difference now level with Dumbarton, whom must now have become a little more twitchier.

sticking with 38pts to at least guarantee 2nd bottom or above

Jack Ross has shown a couple of times this season that he has the most important attribute to manage at this level - which is the ability to recruit well. At this level, where are finances are tight and there is a yearly turnover of squads recruitment is so important. He built a good squad at Alloa early in the summer which has allowed them to finish 2nd in League One. The fact that St Mirren's initial results didn't improve shows that coaching ability is pretty minor in terms of importance compared to being able to recruit well, once he was able to do that results have picked up. Obviously you need the resources to do that, but many people have the resources and mess it up, like Alex Rae.

He was absolutely brilliant for Alloa and was a massive loss to us. Had we been able to keep him I very much doubt that Livingston would have won League 1. 

Disagree with that for all Ross done well for Alloa even during Alloa's amazing run when no-one could beat them Livi went to the Recs and took them apart quite easily. We just a far better side from start to finish.

This result brings more significance in that Raith being below us means it hopefully stays that way until St. Mirren Park. 

I'd far rather play a Raith side coming and having to have a go than one sitting in to scrap for a point. 

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This result brings more significance in that Raith being below us means it hopefully stays that way until St. Mirren Park. 

I'd far rather play a Raith side coming and having to have a go than one sitting in to scrap for a point. 

This. Our best results have come against teams who want to get a result instead of setting for not losing.

Archived