St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Well no, because the problem was obviously created by appointing Tommy Craig - the wrong decision was appointing Craig, not letting Lennon go. They could have appointed someone else and improved; that they didn't and instead turned into a complete shambles doesn't make the decision to let Lennon go wrong.

He was doing a bad job and the fact his replacement did an even worse one is a reflection on his replacement.

Exactly. Nobody can't say with any certainty what would have happened if we had kept Lennon. We could have given him a 2 year deal and got relegated. We could have appointed Teale over Craig and finished 8th.

Danny mentioned "if you gave St Mirren fans 8th in Premiership now they'd bite your hand off". Frankly we'd have done that going into the split in his last season in charge! 

I don't think many of us ever had delusions of grandeur (though some clearly did). The fabled 'next level' for a club like ours and probably the best we could have realistically hoped for would have been an average of about 8th or 9th every season. The odd top six thrown in and the odd relegation battle to balance it. Pretty much the St Johnstone level. 

The prospect of relegation battles genuinely didn't bother me as it's going to come with the territory in supporting a club outwith maybe the six biggest in Scotland (obviously with the odd curveball thrown in). What bothered me and still troubles me slightly was the chain of events, -albeit not this far reaching -  which most people foresaw coming the moment TC was appointed. You can go archive through our 2014/15 thread and see that most of us knew that relegation was going to be a stick on that season and the custodians of the club, folk more qualified than us to make these decisions, had to have known that as well but went ahead with it anyway as it was cheap. 

St Mirren, meet Nicky. Nicky, Meet St Mirren (waves hello). 
CBPA8965_3794.jpg

Is that how many open goals he missed before he scores? :thumsup2

God no. He doesn't have enough fingers for that.

Not a true Fifer, imo.
#sixfingerfordshire

Well no, because the problem was obviously created by appointing Tommy Craig - the wrong decision was appointing Craig, not letting Lennon go. They could have appointed someone else and improved; that they didn't and instead turned into a complete shambles doesn't make the decision to let Lennon go wrong.
To make a comparison with a situation where it was more clear cut that a manager had to go - and I know St Mirren fans must be sick of comparisons to that Morton team - the fact we continued to be just as awful in 13/14 after sacking Allan Moore and replacing him with Kenny Shiels didn't mean sacking Moore was the wrong decision, it meant Shiels was the wrong replacement. Moore was underperforming, was clearly going to get us relegated and had to go to give us any chance of staying up. That we ended up relegated by a mile anyway after his replacement was also a failure didn't make sacking Moore the wrong decision, it only reflects on his replacement. While Danny Lennon's underachievement with St. Mirren was obviously nowhere near as bad as Moore's with Morton at that point, the same logic applies. He was doing a bad job and the fact his replacement did an even worse one is a reflection on his replacement.

Still disagree, though I do follow the logic. When his replacement did an even worse job, it's safe to say St Mirren would've been better off keeping Lennon. Whether or not bringing a different candidate would've been better than both can never be known, you can only deal with the comparison between the two.

I can clearly see the thinking behind getting rid of him in the hope of his replacement doing a better job but, when he completely fucks it, keeping the previous one would've been a better call. Thus, a mistake to sack him.

Surely that can't be right. Shitey wee Saints beating super mega Hibs

Am I the only one who is looking at the league table & thinking Saints can still stay up. None of the bottom 4 are any good & we're only two above Dumbarton.
I'm fairly certain we'll make a c**t of ourselves on Saturday (it's what we do) then it's all back on again

Yes you are.

I see that "getting rid of Lennon wasn't the wrong call, but we didn't get the right man in to replace him right" point quite a lot. With the logic that hindsight doesn't exist before you've made the call, you can only really judge it in whether or not St Mirren benefited from Lennon going. If you think they'd be better off now if Lennon hadn't been removed, it has to be called a wrong decision.

I would say it was the wrong decision to let Danny go. The fact we didn't replace him with the right person was another mistake but it was made because of the first mistake.

Another mistake that was made at the same time was letting Paul McGowan go while keeping guys that were aging and unable to see out the next season another thing that we have repeatedly done since.

I don't think many of us ever had delusions of grandeur (though some clearly did). The fabled 'next level' for a club like ours and probably the best we could have realistically hoped for would have been an average of about 8th or 9th every season. The odd top six thrown in and the odd relegation battle to balance it. Pretty much the St Johnstone level. 
The prospect of relegation battles genuinely didn't bother me as it's going to come with the territory in supporting a club outwith maybe the six biggest in Scotland (obviously with the odd curveball thrown in). What bothered me and still troubles me slightly was the chain of events, -albeit not this far reaching -  which most people foresaw coming the moment TC was appointed. You can go archive through our 2014/15 thread and see that most of us knew that relegation was going to be a stick on that season and the custodians of the club, folk more qualified than us to make these decisions, had to have known that as well but went ahead with it anyway as it was cheap. 

As soon as that seasons top was released most of us knew it was going to be a relegation season.

I would say it was the wrong decision to let Danny go. The fact we didn't replace him with the right person was another mistake but it was made because of the first mistake.

Another mistake that was made at the same time was letting Paul McGowan go while keeping guys that were aging and unable to see out the next season another thing that we have repeatedly done since.

McGowan's ability was never in question. Problem was he was on his final warning with the law in his time with us, I can't believe he avoided doing time when he got that electronic tag at Dundee.

I was probably 50/50 on Danny. I wouldn't have been angry if he got another season but after hearing his interview the other day it didn't sound possible with the cluster f**k that was going on behind the scenes, we still pretty much don't know what happened. One things obvious, TC stabbed him in the back.

The board wanted out for years, results under DL were very patchy, remember we had a 15 point head start on a Hearts squad which included about 5 players over the age of 20 which pretty much guaranteed us safety to begin with.

Pointless talking about it now anyway, Saints fans have done it to death, who knows where we would be if we kept DL on and even sacked TC and promoted McPhee to Assistant Manager.

What happened with Iain Jenkins btw? Danny said the board didn't want another Iain Jenkins to happen, or words to that effect.

6 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Jack Ross is a fucking great guy. 

Came out to the street on Saturday after the game and chatted to all the fans queueing for cup final tickets. Seemed at ease and happy to get involved.

Always helps when the manager can string a sentence together.

Archived