B teams

Reserve football. Are we talking about different things here?I was under the impression they would be playing in the third division which is a competitive league. I think you'll find quite a few old firm fans take in junior football at the weekends so there is demand to watch live football. Even adding one hundred to a gate which is not a big ask is a lot for some of the small teams. I wouldn't be too fussed about letting Aberdeen in and would keep it to the old firm until the concept was shown to work.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago when Rangers were in the old SFL reserve league we played them at Central Park and got a crowd of around 400, I doubt if there would be much more if we played them in a League 1 game.

As for the other Premiership sides, Celtic apart, I doubt if they would bring any away fans for their B sides playing in the lower leagues. Probably the only away fans you would get would players parents.

It's important to note that this emerged entirely due to the BBC having dredged it back up. There is zero appetite for this from people who do not wake up every morning and kiss a portrait of the Queen and Neil Doncaster. Even some of the brighter Celtic fans oppose this.

If we're talking about helping develop players what about a Premier league development team , boys selected from top leagues development teams run by Scotland U19/21 manager.

They pick a squad of 25 if any are picked for first team allowed to replace them.

Wouldn't have them in league but league cup ( should be sections) Lowland & Highland league and also Petrofac cup , if they get promoted then move them up.

Would really help them as currently boys are playing in false environment in u20 league with no halfwits giving them abuse you don't know if have mentality.

Only once they've experienced a drunken mouthful will you know if they're up to scratch

They are trying to put the cart before the horse here.

Rather than admit that we have a coaching and teaching problem and addressing that, they want to try a quick change of the set up to paper the cracks.

Get things sorted properly from the bottom to the top.

The first page here basically sums up the self interest . It just happens to be from a Celtic fan .....Don't dare criticise our Ronny.

Had Warburton made the same comments it would have been a Rangers fan and so on. Basically everyone knows changes have to be made but it seems to be a case of "not at our expense "

Proper change will upset a lot of people . It's going to have to be a strong person to have the bottle to go the whole hog without certain clubs trying to interfere. Cockwomble and Regan unfortunately stand in the way at the moment alongside many club chairmen ......Basically there is no point trying to just tinker with what we have got. The sooner the people at the top take their heads out of their arses and realise this the better.

A few years ago when Rangers were in the old SFL reserve league we played them at Central Park and got a crowd of around 400, I doubt if there would be much more if we played them in a League 1 game.

As for the other Premiership sides, Celtic apart, I doubt if they would bring any away fans for their B sides playing in the lower leagues. Probably the only away fans you would get would players parents.

Hibs are an illustration of this, with the recent foray of a 'B' team into the EOS League (pulled after 1 year, btw). Granted the quality and some of the grounds at that level are much poorer - on the other hand the matches were mainly local and team was winning each week. Indeed it won the lower division in a last-day decider, and a knockout cup. In general the away support was measured in handfuls. Few dozens went to their opener at Leith and to Berwick reserves on an international week; few hundred saw the home league title decider; that aside it was basically relatives and officials.

In some cases there was a small uplift of home fans for the novelty. However I'd expect SPFL1&2 home supports to fall if playing a 'B' team.

It also raises the question of facilities, since Hibs played out of East Mains training centre. Clearly OF 'B' teams wouldn't use Ibrox or Parkhead.

It might or might not be of use for Rangers & Celtic developing players... the fact there is such uncertainty is surely another mark against it... but the lower leagues do not exist to serve the OF and the national side. Turning them into quasi-reserve leagues clearly impacts on the credibility of these levels - I don't want to pay to see Berwick play a 'B' team in first-class competition. It would also force clubs down, to make space for the 'B' teams.

Also, it's disingenuous for the media to imply that having 'B' teams equates to success, or that successful leagues/countries have 'B' teams.

Plenty countries have 'B' teams and are totally hopeless. Plenty countries without 'B' teams perform perfectly well.

Finally, the idea that in adding 2 'B' teams to the league (at tier 6 btw?) you'd hand one of them to a club currently not currently in tier 1 is bizarre.

From a football perspective i don't have huge problem with reserve teams, but they would need to play by the same rules as everyone else, players oniy moving between the first team and b team during transfer windows etc.

From a development point of view its highly questionable, we have a perfectly valid loan system for larger clubs to get players competitive football, if players aren't getting loaned out then there can't be any real complaints.

From a commercial view point it makes absolutely 0 sense, nobody wants to see their first team play b teams and very few want to watch their own reserve side.

From a football perspective i don't have huge problem with reserve teams, but they would need to play by the same rules as everyone else, players oniy moving between the first team and b team during transfer windows etc.

From a development point of view its highly questionable, we have a perfectly valid loan system for larger clubs to get players competitive football, if players aren't getting loaned out then there can't be any real complaints.

From a commercial view point it makes absolutely 0 sense, nobody wants to see their first team play b teams and very few want to watch their own reserve side.

There is also the sporting view: we now have the pyramid system. Even assuming that Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' had to work their ways up from the South of Scotland League through the Lowland League and into SPFL2 - which I doubt the journalists have considered, they probably think of them as going direct into SPFL2... as soon as they ascended the bottom tier they'd be occupying a space which could be taken by a proper football club. Why should clubs invest in facilities, licenses etc. then lose-out to someone's reserves.

I never had an issue with Berwick Rangers EOS before it was scrapped: as we used part-time players (like the opposition), from Shielfield (equal or superior to equivalent facilities in the league), in the bottom tier of the system.

Different story if we'd started ascending, pushing other clubs down, not using our stadium, deploying full-time players, affecting peoples crowds, etc. I'd never felt comfortable with Hibs EOS before it was scrapped, for that reason. Used professionals, an inferior ground and would've gone up.

The main issue here is that is only essentially only being suggested to suit the ugly sisters. If they are allowed B teams then why wouldn't every top flight team? And what would then happen when a team drops out of the top flight? And you can't say top 6 only as that changes every season too, so I would be interested to see what kind of criteria would be applied to be eligible to enter a B team.

Could this idea help to get young Scottish players playing more, competitive football? I think the answer is yes.

On that basis, i think it should be considered at least.

They currently loan some of their young players out to lower league clubs, if they want more players to get experience they can loan more players out.

HJ makes a of good points above about B sides jumping ahead of the que for a place in L2 and where those teams will be playing.

It must be terrible being the most successful clubs in the country - we should all go out of our way to make things easier for them.

Actually, no - they can f**k off - if they want their young players playing first team football, send them on loan, or - here's an idea - maybe they could play them in their own first team.

Mainly, just f**k right off, though.

There is also the sporting view: we now have the pyramid system. Even assuming that Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' had to work their ways up from the South of Scotland League through the Lowland League and into SPFL2 - which I doubt the journalists have considered, they probably think of them as going direct into SPFL2... as soon as they ascended the bottom tier they'd be occupying a space which could be taken by a proper football club. Why should clubs invest in facilities, licenses etc. then lose-out to someone's reserves.

Oh they 100% can't be allowed to skip ahead of anyone.

What I mean is it only becomes remotely acceptable from a sporting view point if any b team acts in the same manner as a normal club. At a basic level clubs are a collection of players at any one point in time, should a group of players be better than another and are capable of the off-field requirements needed then allowing them to compete and earn promotion etc is OK with me, I don't believe we should ever get to a point where there's any criteria beyond that to be considered a 'proper team'

The fact that for a b team to behave like a normal club completely negates the point of playing within the pyramid is irrelevant.

Mainly, just f**k right off, though.

This x1000

The two Glasgow "Giants" have done a good enough job of ruining Scottish Football. This is just another way to ruin it even more.

Anyway how are Sevco going to afford a B team? They can't afford their A team as it is

Said this on another thread but I reckon this is at least worth an experiment for a few years. If it were to happen it could sit under the lowland league as a new tier 6, potentially with any Junior sides who may want to finally get involved with the Pyramid. A league table could look something like this.

Penicuik Athletic

Musselburgh Athletic

Bonnyrigg Rose

Kelty Hearts

Pollok F.C.

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy F.C.

Auchinleck Talbot F.C

Beith Juniors F.C.

Glenafton Athletic F.C.

Hurlford United F.C.

Celtic B

Rangers B

Hearts B

Hibs B

Motherwell B

Kilmarnock B

Some good games in there and potentially quite big crowds. Same could be done for HL 2

Archived