Rise of the Tomb Raider

Antlion

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a third-person action-adventure game that features same gameplay found in 2013's Tomb Raider. In this game, players control Lara Croft through different environments, battling enemies, and completing puzzle platforming sections, whereas using improvised weapons and gadgets in order to proceed through the story.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a third-person action-adventure game that features same gameplay found in 2013's Tomb Raider. In this game, players control Lara Croft through different environments, battling enemies, and completing puzzle platforming sections, whereas using improvised weapons and gadgets in order to proceed through the story.

hqdefault.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Completed the story last night.    It is a good game and I enjoyed it overall.  However I did feel the final confrontation with the main protagonist was a bit meh.  It just felt too mechanical, in terms of do thing 1, repeal wave of enemies, repeat thing 1... etc.

I've complete about 80% of the game.  I'll probably go back now and complete a few of the challenges that I liked doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Surely you prefer a timed exclusive to just an exclusive though?

Exclusives are what separate the consoles. Your choice as to which you prefer/can wait for.

Issue i had with this is that the previous game wasnt a timed exclusive, it was clearly just microsoft throwing money at Square Enix to make this a exclusive. Still a big "f**k you" to anyone who had bought it on pc or another console. Great game but its not gonna make people go out and buy a shitty console just to get the game a few months or a year early.

Completed this today, took me about 14 hours on normal difficulty, thought it was a great game. They took everything excellent from the first title and just made it better. Interested in whats going to happen in the next title with this Trinity group. Hopefully Square Enix will see sense and not do this time exclusive shit again.

This isnt just a dig at Microsoft btw, i really dont agree with timed exclusives at all, nor do i like that many games are being designed specifically for consoles then ported over to PC in a half arsed manner (Arkham Knight. any of the past few Assassins Creed games)

I enjoyed the game but not particularly the storyline (it just seemed a rehash of the first one). Tomb Raider games were never really known for their storylines, so I'd prefer a return of the self-contained, Indiana Jones-style hunt for artefacts and relics to foil big bads who want them for their own ends.

The combat I was ambivalent to. Every single game now seems very similar in adopting stealth, distraction tools and hoards of enemies. I guess that's just the way things go, and TR has to cater to that market now. Still, I wish sometimes there could be a feeling of total isolation and getting further and further away from any civilisation, with only occasional animals attacking you (with the supernatural eventually making its presence felt). Armies of mercenaries throwing themselves into your fire detracts from that feeling (although tbf I think this began waaaay back in the 90s with TR2).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived