Hibernian v St Johnstone - League Cup Semi Final

Bambino7

2 days away from a semi final and this is the chat on the match thread?

Jesus Christ. Almost makes me want Rangers to come up rather than Hibs, but not quite obviously.

Anyway, I've suddenly got quite a good feeling about this game. Everything seems to have conspired against us in the build up (no wins and only 1 goal in our last six prior to the game, our 'star player' linked with a move away and looking like he can't be arsed for months and our captain and starting centre midfielders both 'extreme' doubts and not to mention the ticket fiasco) but this is the type of game that our big players will pull out a performance from no where.

I'd be much happier if Murray Davidson made it. Millar and Mackay would be bonuses, but we really need his drive and combative style in the middle of the park. A midfield of O'Halloran, Wotherspoon, Lappin, Craig gives me the fear as we'll have no chance of winning any battle in the middle of the park.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably because you've been a division lower than us for most of it.

Not really, but they have been shitter than us for the most part since our promotion in 2009. They finished the 2009/2010 season 7 points ahead of us on 54 in 4th place to our 47 in 8th. We finished the following 2010/2011 season 7 points ahead of them on 54 in 8th place to their 47 in 10th. 2011/2012 saw us finish 17 points ahead of them in 6th place to their 11th place. 2012/2013 there was only 5 points in it as we finished 3rd on 56 points and they finished 7th on 51 points although our post split fixtures obviously saw us play the more difficult teams in the league. 2013/2014 we finished 18 points ahead of them in 6th place as they were relegated on 35 points.

This has been an example of complete polar opposites in management. Extremely poor management at Hibs and exceptionally good management at St.Johnstone. They are a vastly bigger club than us on every level and although I think we will continue to do well under the leadership of Brown and Wright, I do think Hibs are going to get promoted and find their way back to the top 3/4 of this league without doubt. They've built the best side I've seen them have since around that last semi-final.

Genuine question for Saints fans. See in 2007, was there a mad scramble for tickets are was the Roseburn big enough to ensure a ticket for everyone who really wanted one? If it's the latter then I'd say your allocation is perfectly reasonable. Couldn't give a f**k if people who weren't willing to go to a national cup semi when you were in the lower leagues can't get their hands on tickets now.

That doesn't change the fact that the SPFL promising extra tickets and not delivering is cunty behaviour, just throwing it out there that maybe the fairest option would be to not offer them to begin with.

Cant remember tbh. Funnily enough we actually sold out the Roseburn and the section in the Main stand at our last Semi at Tynecastle. Which makes this "its unworkable" shite from the SPFL so frustrating.

Genuine question for Saints fans. See in 2007, was there a mad scramble for tickets are was the Roseburn big enough to ensure a ticket for everyone who really wanted one? If it's the latter then I'd say your allocation is perfectly reasonable. Couldn't give a f**k if people who weren't willing to go to a national cup semi when you were in the lower leagues can't get their hands on tickets now.

That doesn't change the fact that the SPFL promising extra tickets and not delivering is cunty behaviour, just throwing it out there that maybe the fairest option would be to not offer them to begin with.

More relevant is the 2014 league cup semi final against Aberdeen at Tynecastle. We had the Roseburn and this same section of the Main Stand for that match and it was enough. We didn't have a very good record in semi-finals until that point so that maybe explained a bit of apathy. We then played Aberdeen again in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup two months later and took a disappointing crowd to that game although I'm not sure that was a surprise considering Aberdeen had thumped us 4-0 in the LC semi. It's clear the club thought the Roseburn and a section of the main stand would be enough. In hindsight I think this was maybe a bit short sighted considering we have won a major trophy since those last two semi-final and took 15,000 fans to the SC final. I think we could've potentially sold the Wheatfield stand and in future if this situation ever arises I would hope the club would push for a higher allocation.

But surely more recent average crowds are a fairer gauge for the semi final allocation, rather than attendance in midweek whilst a first division team 9 years ago?

Hibs have got 2-3000 more tickets than their average home crowds, we have an allocation which is about 27% lower than our average home crowds last season, as has been mentioned several times.

I agree a bit that if people can't be bothered coming to games other than semi-finals or European games then it's not such a massive big deal if they don't get a ticket, but unfortunately (due to the way our club messed up the ticket distribution), there's a number of folk who go regularly that have missed out.

The extra 500 probably would have been spot on for us, which is why Saints agreed to that allocation in the first place.

How did your 8 year old child end up with a ticket at the other end of the stand?

i have no idea tbh. i didn't go get the tickets his mum did and it wasn't till a few days later that i noticed and i phoned up and they said they couldn't change his seat to G because seats were being kept back in G for some reason plus i don't get back to Edinburgh until saturday morning as i've been working in Aberdeen this week and last and didn't have time to go down and sort everything out.

I'm not sure the Main Stand is a place folk will be standing. Unfortunate situation which is where the one ticket policy seriously fails.

Its the wheatfield not the main stand

hes 8. i reckon if people were standing i'd get him in no bother but if people are sitting then no chance

You'll be fine, if not I've got 2 seats together in the Gorgie that I'll swap you for if you want? Just means me and my mate will end up sitting miles apart :lol:

You'll be fine, if not I've got 2 seats together in the Gorgie that I'll swap you for if you want? Just means me and my mate will end up sitting miles apart :lol:

nah its fine i dont want to put anyone out by it. I'll just take him into G with me and if people sit then f**k knows

Wait, wait, Saints sold more than one ticket per person :lol:

So just to get this right, Hibs have sold three stands in a fair, staggered way to people who have all bought from the club before, Brown didn't back the St Johnstone support to take more than 3k even in a bring your maw type free for all....and some Saintees are annoyed at us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I appreciate most of you have been pretty fair about the whole thing but the wee radges tearily posting up your Holly Willoughby / Tommy Wright wanking galleries have seriously misplaced anger over this one.

So just to get this right, Hibs have sold three stands in a fair, staggered way to people who have all bought from the club before, Brown didn't back the St Johnstone support to take more than 3k even in a bring your maw type free for all....and some Saintees are annoyed at us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I appreciate most of you have been pretty fair about the whole thing but the wee radges tearily posting up your Holly Willoughby / Tommy Wright wanking galleries have seriously misplaced anger over this one.

Shut it fannybaws.

They did have a huge part to play in fucking it up but it's all the SPFL's fault.

Dont think any fans annoyed at Hibs tbh. Its the SPFL.

Archived