Stranraer -vs- Stenhousemuir

It's an interesting game in store at Stair Park on Saturday afternoon. In the blue corner there's an underperfoming and out-of-sorts Stranraer, and in the maroon corner there's the team who, just last week, recorded the season's most astonishing result. Can Stranraer get out of their funk? Can Stenhousemuir finally win away from home? Who the heck knows.

I posted in another thread about my surprise as to how poorly Stranraer have performed so far. Losing Stephen Aitken and boys like David Mitchell, Frank McKeown and Grant Gallagher was always going to hamstring them but, on paper at least, their replacements looked more than capable - so what's gone wrong?

As for the Warriors, well, last week was something else. I've never seen it happen before. I mean, I've seen us chuck away leads (the 4-5 match against Dunfermline Athletic in 2013 still haunts me) but I've never seen us come back in such an emphatic fashion. Can we build on it? Is this our moment? I'm supremely confident in our forwards - Jason Scotland was superb against Peterhead and it looks like he's already build up an excellent understanding with Colin McMenamin. I don't want to jinx things but they look like the club's most impressive strike partnership since Andy Rodgers and Stewart Kean, or maybe even Colin Cramb and Paul McGrillen 10 years ago. I have no doubt we'll score.

There are problems at the back. With Euan Murray likely to be absent, we'll have to keep Ross Meechan and Stuart Malcolm in central defence. I really like Meechan and believe he's getting better with every match, but he was shown up against Rory McAllister last week and he still has a lot to learn in the position. I'd be a little worried about how he does with this Argentinian wildcard. I've no doubt Meechan will do alright though. I am, however, at a loss to explain Malcolm's loss of form this season. He's been a big disappointment this season and his first-half performance last week was dreadful. He's decent at doing all the meat 'n' drink aspect of defending but, as our captain, we're looking for more. I hope he can turn it around on Saturday.

I would imagine we'd line up in the exact way we did last week:

- Jason Scotland - Colin McMenamin -

- Alan Cook - Kieran Millar - Stephen Stirling - Mark Gilhaney -

- Jim Paterson - Ross Meechan - Stuart Malcolm - Jamie McCormack -

- Jamie Barclay -

I hope Millar, McCormack and Paterson pick up from where they left off, and I'd be hoping for a little more from Gilhaney and Stirling.

No reason we can't win this. The two matches between the sides this season, one win apiece, have been pretty even. The head says we'll draw - our away record sucks - but the heart says we'll win.

Heading down to this; bit of a buzz about Stranraer (first time in a while) to see this man making his official debut:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=NEQUECAUR+&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=nequecaur+&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=4F1E2FB296CEA6E8A1864F1E2FB296CEA6E8A186

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=NEQUECAUR+&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=nequecaur+&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=C418E075468D48532062C418E075468D48532062

Caught Nequecar nett twice in a bounce game on Tuesday and he looked pretty tasty albeit against pathetic opposition. Seems good all round player, good in air, fast, good link up, good at holding ball up. Will see how he fares at league level though as couldn’t judge much from the bounce game. Hopefully he plays alongside Longworth who is a clever foil that I think could work. Would be a tad harsh on McGuigan to leave him out as he has done pretty well in difficult circumstances being up top on his own after a spell in and out of the team and in different positions.

Expect the defence to remain as at Ayr so no Keenan. We also finally have a right sided wide player in McCluskey so hopefully have better balance with Stirling on left. Bell is still out so 2 from Aitken, Thomson and Cairney in central midfield. Cairney really needs to start justifying his presence and wage fast.

Stenny will be a on high after last week. The game at Ochilview was a terrible spectacle and one where we very frustratingly failed to test their suspect defence. From other reports and highlights they certainly look like a team who can concede 2+ a game but also score too. Hope we can exploit their defence, especially Malcolm and keep Scotland and McMenamin as quiet as possible.

Think there could be goals here even though the stats may suggest otherwise as we have only scored 2 at home in the league so far and games between the sides have generally been tight bar the 3-2 at the end of last season.

Not sure if it’s the optimism of the new additions but fancy us to hit some form in next few weeks and I will go for a 4-2 win.

4-1-2-1-2

McGurn (GK)

Pettigrew (LB) Rumsby (CB) Mair (CB) Robertson (RB)

Thomson (CDM)

Stirling (LM) McClusky (RM)

McGuigan (ACM)

Nequecar (CF) Longworth (CF)

Get that team selected and 3 points will be ours. Okay still some question marks defensively but overall a decent enough team. McGuigan ain't a centre midfielder but stick him in behind the strikers in a diamond formation and see what he can do - not sure he deserves to be dropped and in the absense of Bell I would rather try something a wee bit different than persist with Chris Aitken or Cairney who simply ain't fit enough to get around the park.

I have a good vibe about this match. Hopeful the new Argentinian guy can give everyone a much needed lift!

I think we have a few injury problems ahead of this one, but you've got to hope that if we are going to break our duck away from home then this is the time to do it. As ever, I just hope Stuart Malcolm and Jamie Barclay get out of bed on the right side. I expect, and fear, that we'll need to score at least two goals to take something from this match.

A77 shut between girvan and Stranraer this weekend just south of girvan...https://trafficscotland.org/news/story.aspx?id=13130diversion for lorries. Girvan to Newton Stewart. Then a75 to Stranraer. However I believe cars can cut off before Newton Stewart. Pinwherry ballantrae road. So that's the diversion I I'll be taking along with other blues fans in the central belt.

A77 shut between girvan and Stranraer this weekend just south of girvan...https://trafficscotland.org/news/story.aspx?id=13130diversion for lorries. Girvan to Newton Stewart. Then a75 to Stranraer. However I believe cars can cut off before Newton Stewart. Pinwherry ballantrae road. So that's the diversion I I'll be taking along with other blues fans in the central belt.

Mind and take the sick bag,personally I would take the 74 down to Moffat and cut off for Dumfries,then the 75 to Stranraer,more miles but much better road.

Some slightly more encouraging signs for Stranraer fans this week. Even if its only a short term deal the Argentinian guy sounds like he could be a class above at this level and we actually have a natural right midfielder now. Today's signing of a left back will hopefully limit the playing time of Keenan and give us the option to go with a back 4 of Dick, Pettigrew, Rumsby and Robertson which could do okay given we have a solid keeper in nets. If Bells recovers from injury soon we might get Cairney out of the team as well.

Feeling a bit more hopeful tonight! Bottom line football is a fickle game and its not impossible that Reid could still turn things around. Actually looking forward to the game tomorrow instead of fearing the worst!

Huge gamble that the Stranraer committee have been forced into in that at this stage of the season we had to bring in extra players to replace the terrible signings of Mr Reid , I hope that these players can make an instant impact as this is a must win game so puts extra pressure on the new guys, due to our shocking start to the season it means that no one fears coming to Stair Park these days and it gives our opponents a huge boost in confidence when they check our home record so far.

So I feel that IF the new guys can produce in their first game for the club then 3 points are achievable but if that's too much to expect from too many changes then I fear another defeat as the existing players will not get us out of this mess.

Huge gamble that the Stranraer committee have been forced into in that at this stage of the season we had to bring in extra players to replace the terrible signings of Mr Reid , I hope that these players can make an instant impact as this is a must win game so puts extra pressure on the new guys, due to our shocking start to the season it means that no one fears coming to Stair Park these days and it gives our opponents a huge boost in confidence when they check our home record so far.

So I feel that IF the new guys can produce in their first game for the club then 3 points are achievable but if that's too much to expect from too many changes then I fear another defeat as the existing players will not get us out of this mess.[/quote

Mr Reid must have got these new players as well, committee don't and can't sign players.

So I feel that IF the new guys can produce in their first game for the club then 3 points are achievable but if that's too much to expect from too many changes then I fear another defeat as the existing players will not get us out of this mess.[/quote

Mr Reid must have got these new players as well, committee don't and can't sign players.

He's on a mission to smear, and discredit , the manager at every chance. Here and elsewhere.

He's on a mission to smear, and discredit , the manager at every chance. Here and elsewhere.

So so wrong Beefybake , but then when do you ever talk sense ,

Team are utter P@sh , Reid's signing have been absolutely rank , I have never called for manager to be sacked yet many have and you don't quote them, only one on a mission is you for some unknown reason.

Committee have further backed Mr Reid by releasing more funds to sign extra players in the hope that things improve , yet we continue to drop further behind, another shocker on the cards today !!!

Huge gamble that the Stranraer committee have been forced into in that at this stage of the season we had to bring in extra players to replace the terrible signings of Mr Reid , I hope that these players can make an instant impact as this is a must win game so puts extra pressure on the new guys, due to our shocking start to the season it means that no one fears coming to Stair Park these days and it gives our opponents a huge boost in confidence when they check our home record so far.So I feel that IF the new guys can produce in their first game for the club then 3 points are achievable but if that's too much to expect from too many changes then I fear another defeat as the existing players will not get us out of this mess.[/quoteMr Reid must have got these new players as well, committee don't and can't sign players.

I am aware of that but they have sanctioned more signings by a manager who's signings so far have been very poor , more players , higher wages and we still slip further behind , so surely a worrying time for all

Beefybake ,,did I bully you at school or kick you up and down the park?. So many Stranraer fans asking for the manager to be sacked or committee to go and yet you make no comment , Why ? Every post I try and make you always have some crap response .... I'll ask again when was the last time to attended a game ???

Beefybake ,,did I bully you at school or kick you up and down the park?. So many Stranraer fans asking for the manager to be sacked or committee to go and yet you make no comment , Why ? Every post I try and make you always have some crap response .... I'll ask again when was the last time to attended a game ???

I think I'll just stand by what I said.

Archived