Watches

I've worn one almost identical to this every day in life for almost ten years. I've never changed the battery and it's utterly indestructible. Not exactly the most stylish.

91EBxuBzqQL._UY500_.jpg

I've been thinking about buying a smarter looking watch with a metal bracelet for a wee while. Not adverse to buying second hand to keep it cheap, see if it's something I actually stick to wearing. What are some good budget brands to look out for?

Edited by gavin_3110

3 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

I've worn one almost identical to this every day in life for almost ten years. I've never changed the battery and it's utterly indestructible. Not exactly the most stylish.

91EBxuBzqQL._UY500_.jpg

I've been thinking about buying a smarter looking watch with a metal bracelet for a wee while. Not adverse to buying second hand to keep it cheap, see if it's something I actually stick to wearing. What are some good budget brands to look out for?

Seiko make some brilliant looking dive watches around the £200 mark.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

8 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

91EBxuBzqQL._UY500_.jpg

Certina are good value - they sell new ones for about £600-£700 that are almost the equal of stuff double the price. A second hand one could be a sound bet for your budget and they are pretty indestructible too.

When I was working in Hong Kong one of my students, a Japanese guy, bought a watch for around £80 grand - and an automatic winder for about £5 grand. Next day he changed his mind and cancelled the order. I was imagining the devastation that would have brought to the salesperson losing probably £8-£10k in commission.

3 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Thinking of spending around £1500-£2000 on a nice dress watch, any recommendations? For that cash I'm looking for something that is timeless (style wise), f**k buying a watch that is actually timeless.
I also want one that will see me out & only needs serviced every 10 years or so.

I had a dream last night, or at least I think it was a dream, that I had an official letter from P&B informing me that you, DI Bruce Robertson, are an alias of throbber. I apologise for this slur on your character. 

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 19:26, Savage Henry said:

Does any P&Ber use a pocket watch?

I use my grandfather's pocket watch on a daily basis. Key-wound John Forrest of London. Hallmarked silver case. Probably about 1900?

Modern sports-type watches with bezels ruin the cuffs of dress shirts! The Omega Seamaster I have certainly does, so only wear a wristwatch at weekends.

Use a pocket watch and your shirts will stay better for longer! 

I had a dream last night, or at least I think it was a dream, that I had an official letter from P&B informing me that you, DI Bruce Robertson, are an alias of throbber. I apologise for this slur on your character. 

No slur, I'm pretty sure that the Throbmeister lives a more charmed life than I, I can only dream of having romantic lunches in Wetherspoons, with a fat lass who has no desire to be with me & is (at the very least) getting finger banged in the works bogs by a smelly cyclist. After lunch I'd imagine we'd head home, only for us to be spied upon by a creepy bitch across the road. Then proceed to get paralytic on cheap red wine & left over Christmas sherry.
No, my life is shite & id welcome a swap, but wouldn't really want his "Spice Carousel"

Sorry throbs.

Got this TAG Heuer F1 back in December for my birthday. Love it and worn it everyday since:

0103738-0-Product.jpg.72485204bc24f7cead24d73384d0c48a.jpg

I have another Tag and a couple of other watches which I used to wear different a one each day. Couldn't imagine not wearing a watch. It always feels strange not having one on.