The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Both my Grandads fought at Gallipoli but no Aussie or Kiwi ever bought me a pint for their sacrifice, selfish c***s.

So did mine, they both hated heights, so being stuck at the top of those cliffs was very unpleasant.

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Mark Connolly did ridicule the Aussie Rugby League team St. George Illawarra Dragons’ somewhat overblown Poppy shirt earlier so it’s been covered

What about all the marching and sombreness that seems to cause outrage. Plenty royals too, I'm disappointed in P&B's collective laissez faire attitude to the whole glorifying of war.  And war based charidees.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

So did mine, they both hated heights, so being stuck at the top of those cliffs was very unpleasant.

When I said fought, I meant loitering by the beaches and looking after the horses which were rubbish at cliffs. They weren't totally stupid, despite how my genes might indicate.

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The sombreness tends not to piss people off so much as the fancy dress, festive, jingoistic , carnival vibe.

I take it the Antipodeans have managed to gauge it just right on all of the above then. A tip for the poppy people over here I guess.

• 1 month later...

Passed by a house last night where the home owner had a custom made garden iron gate with garish red poppies welded to it, a silhouette of a soldier and “lest we forget” emblazoned across the top of it in metal.

Remembrance is supposed to be about quietly showing appreciation for folk’s sacrifices in a dignified manner. This was the complete opposite.

An extremely crass and unhealthy glorification of war by someone who, I’d bet, wouldn’t dream of ever having joined the army themselves.

Embarrassing.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

£600

You pay through the nose to be staunch.

33501307_10155629565775017_5480673286704594944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fab62bb21c318460efde2174e03ab534&oe=5BC0EEA7

In the right place, that's fine.

On a side note, I only learnt the other day that Nelson's Pillar in Dublin was blown up by the Ira in 1966. 

Before the football I think.

28 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

That’s pretty similar to how it looked. Wonder how much of the cash went to the poppy appeal...

Looking  through his site it appears as though f**k all goes to charity. Loads o councils spunking the publics money on them though.     https://www.facebook.com/Roll-and-Scroll-251654030016/

Edited by dirty dingus

3 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

In the right place, that's fine.

On a side note, I only learnt the other day that Nelson's Pillar in Dublin was blown up by the Ira in 1966. 

Before the football I think.

Ira?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...