The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Why would you wear a poppy unless you're a total narcissistic?

I give to charity. I don't feel the need to tell everyone I meet about it.

I really don't think it's about narcissism. It's meant to be a unified sign of remembrance. Granted it has become mawkish and politically charged of late e.g. being sewn onto football strips - that's narcissism!

I have absolutely no problem with the remembrance and respect shown to those who have risked or given their lives in the service of their country. No argument that this is fitting.

I have a major problem with a country where not only do these people have to rely on charity rather than a grateful nation looking after them, but that charity is hijacked by some of the most racist and bigoted arseholes you could ever wish to meet. Don't even get me started on Help for Heroes (© News International).

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

I'd probably still wear one if it was about remembering all folk who died during wars, no matter which country they were from. It stopped being about that, certainly in the UK, a long time ago.

Every year I donate to the Stop the War Coalition and the Peace Pledge Union, and wear a white poppy rather than a red one. Any life lost as a result of war is a life too many, and as resk says above all victims of war should be remembered and not just ones that hold a British passport.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise the poppy was to commemorate the troubles in Northern Ireland. My mistake.

Not sure if serious...

If I went to a remembrance Sunday event (leaving that open for parade/church/coffee morning) then id wear one, outwith that I do not see what wearing a wee bit of plastic and paper does. I'll put money in the tin but not a fan of wearing them.

Previous poster is right, we are now nearing a century since the end of the war that they were first associated with. Its time to retire the poppy before its taken over completely by bigots, grief merchants and chancers selling absolute tat and the symbolism is utterly distorted.

Given your sensitivity to booing, I just assumed shooting people would bother you a bit more. My mistake.

What booing is this you're referring to? They walked out of Parkhead against Motherwell and had a protest with their banners and their rebel songs.

The British forces have no doubt killed innocents in Afghanistan and Iraq not to mention the bombing of Dresden. Maybe you or QLP would like to answer why they're only getting upset about one incident?

Every year I donate to the Stop the War Coalition and the Peace Pledge Union, and wear a white poppy rather than a red one. Any life lost as a result of war is a life too many, and as resk says above all victims of war should be remembered and not just ones that hold a British passport.

I object to the white poppy on the basis that, some of, the people who wear them are sanctimonious and ill informed about their reasons for wearing them. It's very existence perpetuates the myth that the red poppy is a celebration of war. I object strongly to that inference. My family, like most, lost people in the second world war. The red poppy is as much an anti war statement as the white - no one, (normal), likes war!

edit: missed a word

Edited by killienick