Sons v Ton

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are any Sons fans starting to worry yet? I certainly am.

We have absolutely nothing going forward, absolutely nothing. We move the ball about at snails pace and each player takes at least 3 touches before finally making a pass. Such slow, laborious build play with zero urgency or anyone who looks like they can cross the ball or play a killer pass. We have 4 central midfielders who are the exact same player in Routledge, Lindsay, Gallagher and Brown (some better at it than others).

The players need to shoulder some of the blame for our honking, relegation esque form but the tactics are truly attrocious. The slow build up play, the constant hoofing and the most frustrating of all is having Willie Gibson whip in crosses from the left, with his right foot, 40 yards from goal. Did we genuinely persist with hoofing the ball to McCallum for 20 minutes today or were my eyes deceiving me? It's becoming hard to watch.

No need to hit the panic button just yet but our squad is horribly imbalanced. I've seen a lot of comments around how good this squad looks on paper but I'd have to disagree on that one. We have some decent individuals who should be doing a lot better but the team is overrun with ball winning, slow midfield players who don't do much ball winning and absolutely no one with any creativity other than Gibson. There's a few guys we signed in the summer who don't look up to it at this level unfortunately, mainly Gallagher, Gibson and Docherty.

If we don't buck up our ideas we're going to end up cut adrift at the foot of the table along with Alloa. Everyone around us is picking up points when it matters against the teams they need to beat. Thus far we've managed to lose to both Alloa and Morton at home, and got away with a lucky win against Livi. Nae point beating Hibs and St Mirren when you can't compete against the teams around you.

Well done to Morton who capitalised on more comedy defending to secure a vital win. Unfortunately I can't see where our next one is coming from.

Thoughts on the hand ball penalty shout? Looked clear enough to me. The officials definitely seen it so I can only guess they thought the defender's hand wasn't out of place.

Thought morton deserved it to be fair. Even after we scored their play though midfield was deliberate and accurate, mckee, tidser and the 9 (johnston?) very good.

We're gash. I like the effort most of our players put in, but we need better performances and output too. There may not be one of them who could say they're playing well just now.

I think brophy, waters and lindsay need to start each week. sparky is good going forward, but got caught again today for the second.

Are any Sons fans starting to worry yet? I certainly am.

We have absolutely nothing going forward, absolutely nothing. We move the ball about at snails pace and each player takes at least 3 touches before finally making a pass. Such slow, laborious build play with zero urgency or anyone who looks like they can cross the ball or play a killer pass. We have 4 central midfielders who are the exact same player in Routledge, Lindsay, Gallagher and Brown (some better at it than others).

The players need to shoulder some of the blame for our honking, relegation esque form but the tactics are truly attrocious. The slow build up play, the constant hoofing and the most frustrating of all is having Willie Gibson whip in crosses from the left, with his right foot, 40 yards from goal. Did we genuinely persist with hoofing the ball to McCallum for 20 minutes today or were my eyes deceiving me? It's becoming hard to watch.

No need to hit the panic button just yet but our squad is horribly imbalanced. I've seen a lot of comments around how good this squad looks on paper but I'd have to disagree on that one. We have some decent individuals who should be doing a lot better but the team is overrun with ball winning, slow midfield players who don't do much ball winning and absolutely no one with any creativity other than Gibson. There's a few guys we signed in the summer who don't look up to it at this level unfortunately, mainly Gallagher, Gibson and Docherty.

If we don't buck up our ideas we're going to end up cut adrift at the foot of the table along with Alloa. Everyone around us is picking up points when it matters against the teams they need to beat. Thus far we've managed to lose to both Alloa and Morton at home, and got away with a lucky win against Livi. Nae point beating Hibs and St Mirren when you can't compete against the teams around you.

Well done to Morton who capitalised on more comedy defending to secure a vital win. Unfortunately I can't see where our next one is coming from.

To be honest I've looked at the away days and I actually kind of fancy a return to League One :unsure:

I think you're harsh on Gibson by saying he isn't up to this level. He's genuinely the only player in the entire squad who can create something, it might not be great all the time but at least it's something. Fleming was poor today, Cawley is chronically missed as he's at least a tryer.

Obviously it was enforced, but I'm fed up seeing Gal being shunted around.

Taking off the Broph was a bizarre decision - I'm assuming he's still not fully fit.

The only positives from that today was the fact that Alloa and Saints lost again. Going to be between three of us to avoid the bottom two places. Obviously things can change, but I can't see us managing that.

Thoughts on the hand ball penalty shout? Looked clear enough to me. The officials definitely seen it so I can only guess they thought the defender's hand wasn't out of place.

Absolute stonewaller mate. Christ only knows how he missed it.

I actually think you are talking about the incident which was nowhere near a handball (based on the shouts from your end of the ground). There was one a few minutes before where Fleming punched the ball as clear as day, but nonever of you shouted for that one.

Only handball shout i remember was at our end in the second half, i thought it hit docherty high on the leg near his arse.

I actually think you are talking about the incident which was nowhere near a handball (based on the shouts from your end of the ground). There was one a few minutes before where Fleming punched the ball as clear as day, but nonever of you shouted for that one.

Yup^^^This is the one I was talking about

To be honest I've looked at the away days and I actually kind of fancy a return to League One :unsure:

I think you're harsh on Gibson by saying he isn't up to this level. He's genuinely the only player in the entire squad who can create something, it might not be great all the time but at least it's something. Fleming was poor today, Cawley is chronically missed as he's at least a tryer.

Obviously it was enforced, but I'm fed up seeing Gal being shunted around.

Taking off the Broph was a bizarre decision - I'm assuming he's still not fully fit.

The only positives from that today was the fact that Alloa and Saints lost again. Going to be between three of us to avoid the bottom two places. Obviously things can change, but I can't see us managing that.

Absolute stonewaller mate. Christ only knows how he missed it.

Regarding Gibson - My biggest gripe with him is his lack of hitting the byline and putting a cross in. Whether that's down to him or the gaffer I don't know but to me he looks like a right sided midfielder who's playing on the wrong side. He never beats a man, just turns inside or backwards and plays a pointless cross into the box from miles out. Pointless.

Totally agree with the decision to sub Brophy, he was our only player who looked like... well, a player. Fleming was having a stinker and should have been hooked, not Brophy.

Pretty sure Dumbarton fans saw worse football back when that horrendous outfit was sent to the Third in 2005-06 (?) tbh.

Important win but it's clear that we're not playing well and our team selection is if anything, more all over the place than ever. If we can continue to edge these games then we'll be fine but if our luck runs out there then we'll still struggle. It's encouraging to see Johnstone finally net a few goals in recent games.

When Lindsay came on, we looked better, but Mark Brown should be narrowing the angles so that ball can't be played across, a point should have been fair, interested to see how aitken gets on replacing players in January, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but a keeper us a must, and a creative attacking, goal scoring midfielder, oh and a striker

First time ive watched the sons in a while due to work. Since preseason infact. Seems to me the players are decent enough certianly not the worst ive seen. To me its the management of them thats going wrong. They dont play like a team for a start, very few players interested in putting in a shift other than Gibson and Barr when it comes to chasing down balls and hassling opposition players. The mid field also sits far too deep the gap between the forwards and the centre mids was huge for most of that game. Not ideal if your going to insist on a long ball game but youve got no one to win cleared balls in the middle of the park.

Archived