Bojack Horseman

Stephen Malkmus

Just finished the second series. I really love this show. Although, IMO, series two is better than the first.

Word. Really enjoyed season two. It's not a perfect show but Bojack is a great character and Arnett has a brilliant voice for animation.

• 9 months later...

Season 3 of this is immense, the first half of season 1 is pretty average but it takes off from there.

There are so many background jokes and references you need to watch it about 3 times to get everything.

It's very funny but extremely dark at times, very few of the episodes finish on a happy note.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Binged all of season 4 today. It really is superb, the second last episode is again outstanding (this has been the case for at least seasons 2 and 3), the flashbacks re: dementia and the episode ending are punches in the gut stuff. I assume there'll be at least one more series even if the lead into series 5 isn't as obvious a direction as 3->4.

The good thing is I can watch it again over the week and try and pick up all the easter eggs and subtle stuff that are the trademark of the show, just didn't want to get accidentally spoiled for any plot details.

Slightly worried that I thought Courtney Portnoy was a real person and not just a fictional character. Though getting Sir Mix-a-Lot in as himself was pretty amusing too.

Finished season 4 last night and it's taken me a fair few hours to really digest what I've seen.  'Ruthie' and "Time's Arrows" actually made me stop in my tracks afterwards such was the hard hitting nature of those episodes while "Hooray! Todd Episode!" was fantastic (The viewer who doesn't like Todd most likely likes Honeydew)

The show has moved on to be more about the other characters than just BoJack and it's all the better for it, I especially love the contrasting ending of season 3 and season 4 for all the main characters and it opens

Really hope there is another season, however if we end on that last shot, that last bit of hope, then I'm ok with that. 

• 2 weeks later...
Finished season 4 last night and it's taken me a fair few hours to really digest what I've seen.  'Ruthie' and "Time's Arrows" actually made me stop in my tracks afterwards such was the hard hitting nature of those episodes while "Hooray! Todd Episode!" was fantastic (The viewer who doesn't like Todd most likely likes Honeydew)
The show has moved on to be more about the other characters than just BoJack and it's all the better for it, I especially love the contrasting ending of season 3 and season 4 for all the main characters and it opens
Really hope there is another season, however if we end on that last shot, that last bit of hope, then I'm ok with that. 

I'm not mad for the episodes that feature less of Bojack. It's at its absolute strongest for me when it's focusing on his life and family whereas the Princess Carolyn stuff doesn't really float my boat.

Just polished off season four there and didn't feel was as strong as three but still enjoyable. As noted previously the Summer House and Dementia flashback episodes were it's absolute peak.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bernardblack

Just finished season four there. Utterly fantastic television. The original trailer for season one really doesn't do the show justice....I'd not watched it for ages thinking it would be some stupid cartoon

Just finished season four there. Utterly fantastic television. The original trailer for season one really doesn't do the show justice....I'd not watched it for ages thinking it would be some stupid cartoon

Funnily enough I did the same, only moved into it because I was off work and wanted to kill time

• 11 months later...

bump.

Season 5 is out now.

I've watched the first 4 episodes on Netflix - fully aware that it's up to your own personal taste but I've had a good few gut laughs so far, and liked the Vietnam episode a lot in particular, think the quality has held up extremely well considering that at an off-hand guess there's been at least 40 episodes of the show already over 4 seasons (along with the Christmas special and the like).

Not much of a spoiler I don't think since it's just a personal take on where it might end up going, but I'm getting a bad feeling that Diane is going to end up suffering really badly in this season - can see her ending up suicidal...