Scottish Cup attendances...........................

Parkgatequeens

310 was a desperately poor crowd at our game. I suspect the home contingent was heavily affected by ICT being at home just round the corner. Our support was bigger at Fraserburgh last season and much bigger at Deveronvale the season before. Familiarity may have superceded the novelty which existed when we pulled in 1600 against Spartans a few years ago.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

310 was a desperately poor crowd at our game. I suspect the home contingent was heavily affected by ICT being at home just round the corner. Our support was bigger at Fraserburgh last season and much bigger at Deveronvale the season before. Familiarity may have superceded the novelty which existed when we pulled in 1600 against Spartans a few years ago.

Well this is it, it's the same with the ross county/inverness derby attendances, to many games, playing the same teams, novelty has worn off.

Clach are a very poorly supported team. They must barely hit 3 figures for some HL matches.

It was embarrassingly feeble for the Rose game, maybe they were all watching the Scotland Ireland shinty/hurly at Bught Park.

We got 2,200 against Raith last season don't forget, of which around 1600 were Rose fans.

I would expect similar if we get a home draw in 3rd round this year.

It seems the Juniors can pull out the bigger crowds. Certainly, us, Bo'ness and Auchinleck can achieve 1500 plus in early rounds. Not many other non league teams get close.

We got 2,200 against Raith last season don't forget, of which around 1600 were Rose fans.

I would expect similar if we get a home draw in 3rd round this year.

It seems the Juniors can pull out the bigger crowds. Certainly, us, Bo'ness and Auchinleck can achieve 1500 plus in early rounds. Not many other non league teams get close.

quite probably true.....but judging by Saturday's attendances both you and Auchinleck must have very minimal travelling supports for away games that aren't on your respective doorsteps?

quite probably true.....but judging by Saturday's attendances both you and Auchinleck must have very minimal travelling supports for away games that aren't on your respective doorsteps?

I think that's a tad unfair. The vast majority of the 310 at Inverness on Saturday were from Linlithgow. The home support - as Welshbairn has pointed out - was dire. There is little doubt that the turbulence we have been experiencing off the pitch has had an impact - we would normally take more but I personally know a number of people who would have been certainties to attend but have been demotivated by some of the stuff that has happened over the summer.

I'm not one who swallow all the hype about Talbot and their support but I reckon they'd have 70% - 80% of the attendance on Saturday.

I'm not one who swallow all the hype about Talbot and their support but I reckon they'd have 70% - 80% of the attendance on Saturday.

60% at best I reckon. Even listening to the reaction to the goals on the highlights you can tell there was a decent amount of them in the home crowd.

ETA: That's not intended as a negative, even 60% of the crowd at an away game is an impressive number.

As I pointed out on a thread on the Junior forum, the gigantic Talbot away support is something of a myth, at least in the Scottish Cup where figures are published.

Auchinleck Talbot attendances v non-league opposition

Huntly - 488

Lossiemouth - 425

Girvan - 592

Edinburgh City - 573

Hermes - 512

BSC Glasgow - c500

Cumbernauld - 487

Auchinleck Talbot attendances v SPFL opposition

Stirling - 1,185

Hearts - 8,895

Stranraer - 1,170

I did have slight surprise at Saturday being in the middle of the scale despite the shorter journey, but it wasn't at all exceptional.

As you say you can also tell by the shouts from the highlights - which are being filmed from the opposite stand - there was a decent Colts presence.

This doesn't detract from the fact that Talbot have an excellent travelling support by smaller club standards, and larger home crowds than almost all non-league teams.

Hopefully I'm following this correctly, but is the logic behind this to the effect that if Auchinleck had been playing Clyde instead of the Colts, that they would have brought a bigger travelling support?

Call me a sceptic, but that doesn't wash with me HJ and I just think there's way more apathy for the tournament nowadays than the 70s and 80's, with my point remaining that lower league attendances haven't diminished significantly since then so why the drop-off for comparable Scottish Cup games?

It was embarrassingly feeble for the Rose game, maybe they were all watching the Scotland Ireland shinty/hurly at Bught Park.

Clach took more than that to the Qualifying Cup Final a couple of seasons back. I just don't think that a cup tie against a junior club, even in the Scottish, is an enticing prospect for HL fans generally.

Clach took more than that to the Qualifying Cup Final a couple of seasons back. I just don't think that a cup tie against a junior club, even in the Scottish, is an enticing prospect for HL fans generally.

Aye but sub 100 at home is brutal is it not? What was the crowd at the Deveronvale game in the previous round?

• 11 months later...

According to today's Scotland on Sunday:

Annan v East Stirlingshire

Arbroath v Stirling Uni

Banks o'Dee v Formartine Utd

Berwick Rangers v Hawick Royal Albert

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic v Cove Rangers

Brora Rangers v Clyde

Buckie Thistle v Gretna 2008

Cowdenbeath v East Kilbride

Cumbernauld Colts v Forres Mechanics

Edinburgh City v Forfar Athletic