Scottish Cup attendances...........................

Parkgatequeens

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems SFA aren't bothered until SPFL clubs enter.
R2 from today's Scotsman:

Annan-Berwick ... 404
Brora-Arbroath ... 547
Clachnacuddin-Linlithgow ... 310
Cumbernauld-Auchinleck ... 487
East Fife-Stirling Albion ... 504
East Kilbride-Forres ... 329
Edinburgh City-Buckie ... 221
Elgin-Spartans ... 534
Formartine-Clyde ... 470
Huntly-East Stirlingshire ... 187
Inverurie-Edinburgh Univ ... 239
Lothian Thistle-Montrose ... 212
Nairn-Wick ... 230
Stirling Uni-Queen's Park ... 394

Annan-Berwick ... 404

Brora-Arbroath ... 547

Elgin-Spartans ... 534

Formartine-Clyde ... 470

Nairn-Wick ... 230

Are a chunk of those teams not SPFL teams?

long gone are the days when neutrals / cup enthusiasts would ensure that gates below 500 were the exception, whereas here only three excceeded that figure - we're doomed, doomed ah tell ye

The newspapers get all their data from Opta who have people covering all the league games. I take it they don't send anyone to the early rounds of the Scottish Cup so no attendances or teamlines.

SFA used to collate instead, though.

Can perhaps understand omitting the 'preliminaries' but they should treat R1 properly, IMO.

long gone are the days when neutrals / cup enthusiasts would ensure that gates below 500 were the exception, whereas here only three excceeded that figure - we're doomed, doomed ah tell ye

Were figures in the old R1/R2 that different to today? May have been, tbf, given only 8 non-leaguers qualified making it was more 'special' (but less inclusive).

Similar to first year of current format (2007-08), anyway:

Albion Rovers-Burntisland ... 265

Annan-Huntly ... 243

Arbroath-Elgin ... 583

Buckie-Nairn ... 532

Cove-Keith ... 317

Culter-Vale of Leithen ... 500

Edinburgh City-East Stirlingshire ... 188

Edinburgh Univ-Deveronvale ... 350

Forfar-Dumbarton ... 382

Girvan-Stranraer ... 410

Inverurie-East Fife ... 770

Linlithgow-Spartans ... 1,600

Montrose-Pollok ... 945

Selkirk-Dalbeattie ... 157

Threave-Stenhousemuir ... 300

Whitehill-Golspie ... 200

Annan-Berwick ... 404

Brora-Arbroath ... 547

Elgin-Spartans ... 534

Formartine-Clyde ... 470

Nairn-Wick ... 230

Most of those are SPFL clubs

Were figures in the old R1/R2 that different to today? May have been, tbf, given only 8 non-leaguers qualified making it was more 'special' (but less inclusive).

I've no stats to back this up, but just my memories/perceptions from my teenage years in the 70s when the lack of regular football on telly (and other distractions) seemed to me to generate a lot more enthusiasm amongst non-regular football attenders once the early rounds of the cup were drawn. Could just be my imagination of course, but I would have thought that all the following ties would have beeen capable of generating 500+ in those days, but I guess the novelty value has long gone for families where (for example before you attack my political correctness!!!) the mum's got internet shopping, the dad's got live games on the telly and the kids are fighting over whose turn it is for the Playstation:

Clachnacuddin-Linlithgow

Cumbernauld-Auchinleck

East Kilbride-Forres

Formartine-Clyde

Huntly-East Stirlingshire

Lothian Thistle-Montrose

Stirling Uni-Queen's Park

General lower league attendances weren't really much higher back then, but the Scottish Cup seemed to have much more of a magic and curiosity value then than it does now. Makes me sound really old I know, but I despair at the lack of marketing by the SFA who don't really seem to have any interest in promoting the competition until most of the non-league clubs have exited, which seems in direct contradiction to their enthusiasm for the pyramid structure

I've no stats to back this up, but just my memories/perceptions from my teenage years in the 70s when the lack of regular football on telly (and other distractions) seemed to me to generate a lot more enthusiasm amongst non-regular football attenders once the early rounds of the cup were drawn. Could just be my imagination of course, but I would have thought that all the following ties would have beeen capable of generating 500+ in those days, but I guess the novelty value has long gone for families where (for example before you attack my political correctness!!!) the mum's got internet shopping, the dad's got live games on the telly and the kids are fighting over whose turn it is for the Playstation:

Clachnacuddin-Linlithgow

Cumbernauld-Auchinleck

East Kilbride-Forres

Formartine-Clyde

Huntly-East Stirlingshire

Lothian Thistle-Montrose

Stirling Uni-Queen's Park

General lower league attendances weren't really much higher back then, but the Scottish Cup seemed to have much more of a magic and curiosity value then than it does now. Makes me sound really old I know, but I despair at the lack of marketing by the SFA who don't really seem to have any interest in promoting the competition until most of the non-league clubs have exited, which seems in direct contradiction to their enthusiasm for the pyramid structure

Speaking from the perspecctive a teenager, now, I would have gone to a Scots Cup game if Arbroath or Forfar were playing at home.

Archived